• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

California DMV ?

My son just re-painted his car from black to white. I have been told since the car is painted a different color than what it was originally, we have to report or notify DMV.

If someone can confirm this and have a link from California DMV, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, I looked further and couldn't find anything with regard to reporting a change of color. My guess is that they wouldn't specify that you don't have to report it; they simply don't mention it because it isn't required.

The car color is noted on the registration; I think this is something you would want to go out of your way to do, as if a police car behind him runs his plates, and they come back for a different color, they might think the plates are stolen.

John, I must be missing something. I don't see the color listed on my registration or title. :confused:

Mike, quickest solution: Call the DMV or AAA. :)

The car color is noted on the registration; I think this is something you would want to go out of your way to do, as if a police car behind him runs his plates, and they come back for a different color, they might think the plates are stolen.

I was stopped before in my accord with no mention of the color change.

I was a cop in my former life for a long time and never heard of such a thing. I suspect someone is laughing their butt off over that one. :smile:

DMV is like all other government agencies. All they want is your money. If the police are questioning whether the car has the wrong plates, I imagine they can cross reference with the VIN associated with the license plate number.

Mike

note sure if you have to report it

if u need to go to DMV, and if your car insurance is AAA, just go down the street (AAA@Gellert and Hickey blvd, Daly City) :smile:

I taught driving in CA for a few years, and I do seem to remember something about being required to report a color change. On the other hand, with regard to registration, as a current L.E.O. I can tell you that it's a no brainer to figure out that a car was painted if you pull them over and run their plates.

Back