• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Car inspection question

This is something of a naive question, but is there a good procedure on how to get a dealer to let you take his car to your mechanic for an inspection??

Sorry to sound dumb, but I see a lot of NSX's at some 'high end' dealers, and am curious how to deal with them. I look young for my age (32 but look 25) and don't always get taken seriously.

Is it good to 'waste' some of their time first before you bring it up (I'll spend a lot of time looking at the car anyways anyways, so maybe this helps)? Is it good to show them that you have the finacial means to buy the car (like a blank check from Peoplefirst
wink.gif
)?

Thanks in advance...

No Dealer should be afraid to let you take a car to a "Qualified" mechanic for a check up. If they are unwilling I would be nervous, very nervous about buying this car. If you call the dealer and ask to coordinate a service inspection with your shop he will want to know who, where, when. If you tell him your buddy is going to look at it he will not likely take you seriously. But, if you set the appointment with the local Acura Dealer and their best NSX tech to do the check for you he will probably respect your attention to detail and may better your position at the table later. Just don’t be surprised if they want to deliver it to the dealer or be with you at the time.

Best of luck, and do your homework!

Dave

Sorry, One more thing. Letting them know you have the funds will not hurt to show you are serious, but make sure they will deal with PeopleFirst. I used them and had no problems but the dealer had told me they had problems in the past with the .COM banks.

NotFast,

In case you need a car inspected, you live very close to the Acura dealer that does the most NSX service work of any of the nine Chicago-area dealers. Woodfield Acura (847-519-9550) has two NSX techs who have been working on NSX's almost forever, and either one does great work. Tell the service department that Ken sent you and they'll look out for you. (Don't tell them that I sent you and they'll still look out for you.
wink.gif
)

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 28 January 2002).]

Thanks a lot Dave and Ken!!!

Ken: I did intend on using Woodfield Acura for any inspections. I bought and had serviced an Integra GSR from them, they are an excellent dealer to work with & I would recommend them to anyone myself.

What if you are buying the used NSX from an Acura dealer? Should you insist on taking the car to another place to have it inspected or can you trust the dealer and maybe at most put the car up on their hoist and inspect it yourself asking them to back it up?

Originally posted by rcarlos:
What if you are buying the used NSX from an Acura dealer? Should you insist on taking the car to another place to have it inspected or can you trust the dealer and maybe at most put the car up on their hoist and inspect it yourself asking them to back it up?

It depends on your comfort level with the dealer involved. If I didn't know anything about them, I would insist on having another place do the inspection.

This is where it gets tricky if the car is in a small geographical market. In a big city, there are many dealers, and several are likely to do a fair amount of NSX work. In a small city, the Acura dealer may be the only place in town which knows anything about NSX's.

I strongly recommend bringing any expensive sports car that you are contemplating purchasing to an unrelated party for a thorough inspection... even when the seller is a dealer. Several years back, I went to purchase an older model ferrari with 19,000 miles from a dealer. Under close inspection by a mechanic not affiliated with the transaction, it was uncovered that the engine was not the original engine. The engine had 19,000 miles on it but the rest of the car had many more miles. When I cornered the dealer on it, they eventually admitted that the engine had been replaced which made the value of the car substantially less.

If a dealer is not willing to allow an outside inspection, let the deal go!

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

Back