• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Supercharger installed!!! Some Questions...

Well I finally finished the comptech supercharger installation.

The crank pulley was the real issue but thanks to LarryB the problem is solved.

I have a few questions for comptech owners...

When the throttle is activated their is a brief pause prior to the unmistakeable rush of supercharger power. Is this normal with this kit. Again the timing is brief but my SLK32 AMG (which is also supercharged) does not possess this brief pause.

How much oil in the charger? The instructions say less then a quart. It seems MUCH less than a quart and the dipstick reads full. Should I assume this is normal?

At cold start the idle is slightly up and down and then settles. Typical?

Thanks.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

A very slight pause is normal. The hypothesis I heard was that it was associated with the MAP sensor and the mechanical airflow restrictions included with the kit. The new kits come with an electronic voltage clamp, which must be similar to the module that is sold through Mark Basch and Dali. Mark Basch was going to install one of the SmartMAP sensors on an existing Comptech car to see if it took care of the pause. I never heard any results from that installation.

Oil should be per the dipstick. The quantity is much less than a quart. When I had mine installed there was some oil already in the unit, but it only took about ¼ quart.

At idle there is a little bit of gear noise from the supercharger, but the idle is pretty stable.

Hope this helps

Roy

After I had the std kit installed, I noticed a slight lag in throttle response as well (confirmed by some other SC NSXers also). I believe that this is inherent in the design, which uses a bypass at low-load so the transition from part throttle to full throttle is less sharp than in the pure NA case. After installing the high-boost option, the lag became much more pronounced and the transition much more abrupt - the ESM helped the latter symptom quite a bit but did not eliminate the lag entirely. YMMV.

That makes perfect sense, Number9.

I have the ESM installed.

The car sounds so different (as expected).

The engine really has a lot of "get up and go" at lower RPM now. Just what she needed!

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

Originally posted by Periokid:
Again the timing is brief but my SLK32 AMG (which is also supercharged) does not possess this brief pause.

Off-topic:

How do you like the SLK32 AMG? Compared to the NSX? The reviews I've seen are pretty impressive.

Well, the first thing I can say is that these two cars could not be any more different. Each has qualities that make them special.

The slk32 is extremely powerful. Its acceleration is explosive! The speedshift auto transmission is the best auto I have ever driven. It shifts so fast and really responds to throttle inputs. It is certainly properly tuned to the engine and the type of driving style a person would want with that kind of power. I have always preferred manual transmissions but I must say that MB really knows their stuff regarding auto transmissions, especially this AMG tuned version.

The brakes are fantastic and far more powerful then the 91 NSX brakes. Handling is not NSX like but that is not the intent anyway. But it does handle very very well. The vario roof is one of its best features. The exhaust note is also really nice.

I personally love the SLK (this is my second). If I had to choose either the SLK or the NSX I would keep the SLK because of its all season coupe/convertible abilities and unbelievable power.

That said, i am still keeping my NSX
smile.gif

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Periokid (edited 10 September 2002).]

Back