• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Concours results: NSXPO 2003

It is an annual highlight of NSXPO to participate in the Concours. This no white Glove contest, but rather more of a boxing glove brawl, where the only rules are that you must complete the entry form to be considered for an award. If you don’t fill out the form, you can’t Win!,

Judging is completely subjective, whimsical, and capricious. If you don’t agree, then volunteer to be a judge next year! This year’s judges: Mark Hicks, Maria Herrera-Hicks, Wei-Shen Chin, Lud, Larry Bastanza, Brian Durand, Don Nowak, Ken Gladden, John Iannone, Regine Jarrett
NSXPO 2003 Concours pour l’amusement

The most significant:
Alex Vizcarra - best of show/modified - the all-around complete package: performance, appearance, safety, JDM/Euro spec.
John Feddock - best of show/original - 92, 17K+ miles, looks like it just left the dealership…
Seth Rowan - best handbuilt car - Custom Carbon-Fiber body panels wowed onlookers
Todd Brown - highest mileage 231,030 - like the Eveready Bunny… after all, it is a Honda!
Scott Shimane - lowest mileage 4328.5 - an '02, put 25% of the miles on the car just attending NSXPO!
Dave Kral - longest drive 2000 - From Mnpls, MN
May Lee - best "dressed" - fully color coordinated and accessorized… NSX is part of her wardrobe!

Honorable mentions:
Greg Kunz - best V1 install - Had the rear-view-mirror-display gadget, with no components visible
Peter Yee - longest entry form - wrote over a hundred words on his Concours entry
Stephen Howe - lowest VIN: #RT000001 - First one off the Tochigi assembly line in 1994
Joe Parrotta - best bug killer - entire swarms of bugs died trying to stop Joe's NSX
Ed Klemz - most premature NSX (arrived 4 days early) - Ed wanted to make sure he didn't miss a single moment of NSXPO
Steve Werre - most likely to change NSXs - Steve has owned 3 in 4 years
H. Noble - best street sweeper - grillework full of leaves, newspaper, wrappers!
Rob Rienecker - best 96 coupe - The ONLY coupe from '96 present…
Kenny Kim - best effort to convince judges that stock speakers are good - Kenny REALLY loves his stock Bose speakers….
Randy Chua - most in need of a new nose badge - Poor Randy, struck by road debris on his way to NSXPO
George Grigoriov - best Imola Orange - The ONLY Imola orange present
Cory Bartz - cheapest bumper repair - The black electrical tape was ALMOST unnoticeable...
Mark Stepp - least shiny wheels - A great candidate for testing wheel-cleaning products…
Phil Moulin - least fender clearance - couldn't pass a finger between tire and fender.
Jim Lieber - wheels shinier than Dave Goward - Dave's wheels are really shiny, Jim's could be solar energy collectors!
David Goward - shiniest rotors - If you can't have shiniest wheels, might as well have shiniest rotors!
Igor Cyustin - 9 point harness infant seat install - Full 5-point child seat properly attached with 4-point race harnesses
Brad Mason - Raisin Bran hood….two scoops - Are two smalls better than one large?
John Richards - best rear view mirror (under rear bumper to show exhaust) - Not very portable, but shows off ANYTIME RACING exhaust
Aaron Chung - the best Zanardi NSX - Only Zanardi present!
Tim Meekins - best use of a rubber band (holds on front spoiler) - This was not your average rubber band, but the big fat one…
Tony Machado - most misaligned trunk - Bodywork done by an artist who dislikes parallel lines
Roy Thoma - most hermetically sealed…wrapped in 3M plastic - Roy doesn't even allow AIR to touch his paint…
Stephen Woodall - cutest car name (putt putt) - An NSX named Putt-Putt?
Gary Yates - best cup holder (4 brake rotors stacked on the floor) - Gary has stripped his car to save weight, but the cupholder is 75lbs
Bob Burd - most "mysterious" NSX - Why Bob's NSX is mysterious is a mystery to the judges
Bill Cherisano - most well documented modifications - Beautiful binder, laminated, suitable for a coffee table book
Yvonne Lau - best stuffed animal - Only Yvonne could get away with hanging a stuffed animal from the rear view mirror
Jackson Leung - Darth Vader award - This car is Black, very Black
Chris Wong - most gratuitous Zymol ad - It’s always helpful to push the show sponsor!
Elwin Wong - DNF award (half of entry form incomplete) - Clearly. Elwin was distract…
Dan Hallock - most ordinary NSX…the Ford Taurus award - In an ocean of NSXs, this car was a fish. Dan is the 1st and only owner of his '91.
Mohammed Ashik - best powder coated wiper blades - The judges think this may give an unfair advantage on the track.
Hiroshima Chan - most obsessive compulsive award who is not Miled Salheb - Hiroshima's car was immaculate, but, then again, there's Miled…
Brian Butts - most overloaded cigarette lighter - Enough accessories plugged in to light up a small town
Chip Alexander - most user friendly (UI.DZINR) - User-Interface designer
David Moore - most junk in the trunk - How did he carry any luggage?
Don Templeton - richest kids (got car as Father's day gift) - Obviously, the kids have great taste
Kip Olson - best Comptech suck-up - The rolling Comptech product line!
Earnie Ragin - "damn nice award" - All around, this car was damn nice
Keith Jarett - best use of Saran wrap - Plastic-covered seats; you get the point…
Mel Hawkins + Tatiana - hardest working NSX couple - From the moment their car arrived, they didn't stop cleaning it!
Miled Salheb - most JDM parts - And, the only NSX to visit Ground Zero
Wei-Shen Chin - most equipment mounted to harness bar - After attaching cameras, radios, etc., He added harnesses as an afterthought.
Peter Mills - messiest tushy - Peter, write "wash me" on rear bumper
John Iannone - best bullet holes - Someone tried to assassinate the 'Bumble Bee'
Robert Ondrovic - dirtiest wheels - Please see Miled for wheel cleaning tips
Tom Mortensen - most proud of his F1 Honda VIP pass - If you had one, wouldn't you be proud?
Pete Kasper - best sheepskin seats - Original leather seat covers were too "pretty"
Steve Riter - most gut wrenching picture award (NSX rollover) - Displayed photo sequence of rollover incident that totaled his 1st NSX
Brett Kappes - NSX indebted to Bill Gates - His on-board wireless computer/GPS/LCD screen is all Windows. Huge amt of electronics
Jeff Fong - most clothing changes in passenger seat - Jeff doesn't own any luggage, he just puts it all on the right seat
Gil Leach - most in denial about his "stock" suspension - Four-inch ride height is NOT stock!
Hrant Kouyoumdjian - largest amount of snack mix in NSX trunk - Hrant must live on this stuff
Troy Buss - best use of factory cassette player (holds up GPS) - Velcro doubles as head cleaner
Tom Kohrs - most NSXPO 2003 stickers - Tom had at least one more than everyone else
Jon Nastro - oldest license plate (20 years old) "TOUCHGO" - Has transferred his tag to many different cars
Jon Mandell - best NSX heartwarming story - This car replaced his previous NSX, lost when an idiot hit him on the freeway
Chris Chao - Knight Rider wanna be (Kit car) - Has red LED scanner bar in nose. We think Chris needs a full-time job
Otto Joe - loosest OEM spoiler - If Joe's spoiler wasn't about to fall off, he would have gotten 'most rock chips'
Greg Strang - latest entry TURNED IN AFTER JUDGING COMPLETED - Just goes to show you that you can win an award by being last
Larry Gauthier - THE VERY LATEST entry (turned in at the banquet) - Larry actually drove the furthest (2770 from PA), but did not get his entry in at the Concours!
Concours committee: Mark Hicks, Maria Herrera Hicks, Brian Durand, Ken Gladden, Larry Bastanza, John Iannone, Don Nowak, Lud Eng, Wei-Shen Chin, Regine Jarett

Last edited:
Thanks again to the Concours Committee for all their hard work and humor, NSXPO was a blast. :D

Absolutely funny.

My favorites:

Troy Buss - best use of factory cassette player (holds up GPS) - Velcro doubles as head cleaner
Kenny Kim - best effort to convince judges that stock speakers are good - Kenny REALLY loves his stock Bose speakers….
Tony Machado - most misaligned trunk - Bodywork done by an artist who dislikes parallel lines
Bob Burd - most "mysterious" NSX - Why Bob's NSX is mysterious is a mystery to the judges

-Randy

You mean to say that I could have won an award if I had simply filled in a form? Think of the possible categories ... having the most non-operational lightbulbs or maybe the worst matched seats and belts? Or perhaps even the worst reassembly of the headlamp pod ... :)

Pam

Originally posted by the nsxnut Steve Werre - most likely to change NSXs - Steve has owned 3 in 4 years
[/list]
Haha! I beat Steve Werre! I have had 3 different NSXs over past 6 months.
For those who were at NSXPO1999, Steve Werre's beautiful yellow 1997 NSX won the most beautiful NSX award. He soon sold it and bought a Zanardi and put a CTSC on it. Later he sold the Z and bought a Porsche 996. Of course, the NSX experience kept tempting him to return to the NSX family so he bought a 2001 Spa Yellow and dressed it up just like his original 1997 Spa Yellow. I could not believe my eyes when I saw that distintive looking Spa Yellow and I thought it was the same 1997. It is just so nice to have seen so many old friends at NSXPO2003. A big thank you to the organizers who put in so many unpaid hours which could have been spent with their love ones.
Steve

Awesome thread! Feels like I know everyone just a little bit more now.

ravi

NSXCA

Mark & Maria,

Thanks for the post.

It was great meeting you both at the EXPO.

I will be in Atlanta from the 19th till 23rd. Call you PM me and give me the address to your resturant.

I would love to try your in house Sangria! :D

See you guys soon.

Kenny

p.s. hey I like my stock speakers, but I don't know about loving it. My car, that I love. :)

Whoa - a "real" award!!

I thought there were others who drove further than the 2000 miles we did to get there but maybe they didn't fill out the form. Oh well, can't win if you don't enter. I thought for sure I'd be fighting it out for the "Ford Taurus Award". I remember thinking when looking over the cars at the Embassy parking lot, "when does an NSX not stand out in a crowd? When it's box stock in a sea of other NSX's."

Many thanks to Mark, Maria and the rest of the judges for putting this together. And, of course, to Hrant and the other organizers for a fantastic event!!

Dave K

Scott Shimane - lowest mileage 4328.5 - an '02, put 25% of the miles on the car just attending NSXPO!
I haven't driven my NSX since we returned from NSXPO :eek:. 28 days and counting :( :( :( .

K2 said:
Mark & Maria,

Thanks for the post.

It was great meeting you both at the EXPO.

I will be in Atlanta from the 19th till 23rd. Call you PM me and give me the address to your resturant.

I would love to try your in house Sangria! :D
The address is:

Sangrias Mexican Café
Tucker Plaza
4369 Hugh Howell Rd.
Tucker Ga. 30084

For a map and directions, go to the Sangrias website. Scroll down to the button that looks like this and click it:

yahoo_maps.gif

Sangria

Ken,

Thanks for your help.

What can I say, but YOU ARE THE MAN!

:D and WOW

Might have to send you pics from Mark and Maria's resturant.

Have a great week.

Kenny

Visiting Sangria's Mexican Cafe...

As usual, keN is precisely correct. Our restaurant is located in the eastern suburbs of Atlanta, near Stone Mountain. Maria and I would love for Kenny, and any NSX owners, to visit. And, NSXCA members always get a discount :) . Give us a call at 770.270.1777 to make sure we're there; we have 2 restaurants.

We look forward to seeing you...

Ed, your strategy requires that a new rule is adopted for concours judging. I reserve the right to make new rules with no notice. The new rule is:

Concours entries are not permitted during the motorsports off-season. The earliest one may enter for consideration is subsequent to, or concurrent with, the running of the Rolex 24 hrs of Daytona (the first event of the season). Any entries prior to this will be subjected to testing for fire-resistance, per FIA specs. :D

Back