• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Couple of Track Day Observations

Just got back from a long over due track day, as it's been a year or so. I had the local dealer do an oil and filter change, flush the brake fluid (Motul 600), and check brake pads and tires, then ready to go.

I went with Colin Bach's Track Classics group (based out of the Candy Store in Burlingame, CA). A little more expensive than Hooked On Driving, etc, but well worth it for all the extra track time and much less on track traffic. We had 4 x 30 and 1x 20 mins sessions per run group. Three run groups with about 10-12 cars each at Thunderhill.

Anyway, even with all the newer cars available today with technology light years ahead of the NSX, the NSX gets a ton of respect and interest at the track. I was in an intermediate run group and passed a driver in a Ferrari F430 who then followed me around the track bit. He searched me out after the session to ask about my car and said he was glad I passed him so he could follow a bit. He was surprised that he had trouble keeping up with me on the long front straight at Thunderhill. I told him my SC added about an extra 125 HP and that my car weighed about 300 lbs less than his might have something to do with it.

Several other drivers also approached me in the paddock area about my car: owners of an Avantador, an MP412c, the F430, and also a Ferrari 559. They all knew a friend who had an NSX and loved it and considered it a classic.

One final observation: due to DOT regs, the cars being built today are bigger, taller and bulkier than the NSX. Compared to the newer cars I encountered at the track, the NSX is a low slung, sleek car with a stance and outward view that can't be duplicated any more. Our cars are very unique and Honda got the styling perfect right our of the gate....it looks like nothing else.

All in all, I had a great time and got home safe. Not looking to sell my car anytime soon!

Chris

Very nice. I am also hoping to get out on the track soon after a long time away. The NSX always gets respect from people who know cars, true enthusiasts. Any pics or video from the track?

Very nice. I am also hoping to get out on the track soon after a long time away. The NSX always gets respect from people who know cars, true enthusiasts. Any pics or video from the track?

An outfit named Vision Wells was on site providing in-car and on-car video services. But. I won't have the edited footage back for a week or so. I'll post it when it arrives. I'm not particularly fast, but my lines are good and I have a lot of fun just the same.

Having fun is what its all about. I'm thinking of signing up for 5/24 at Thunderhill with Trackmasters

Thanks for the share Chris.

I recently picked up my 92 NSX and it still drives and feels new to me. I've always dreamed of having one like everybody else. It's extremely well built for its time period and has exceeded all of my expectations. I'm enjoying every moment learning my way around it.

It's been awhile since I've been to the track. Most of my experience have been at Buttonwillow and Streets of Willow. I was from socal originally so thunderhill was always a bit too far for me.

"someday is today"

Back