• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Custom PC using XP or HP with Vista?

Well after reading this thread on Vista-Longhorn..
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90242&highlight=vista&page=3

I am not as enthusiastic about buying a new PC with Vista operating system. I know Windows 7 Vienna-blackcomb is to be released sometime in 09 but who knows what faults and opportunities lay ahead.

Here are the current issues with Vista as discussed-rumored not imo.
1. Hardware requirements
2. Slow file operations
3. Licensing and cost
4. Digital rights management
5. User Account Control
6. Software Protection Platform

Would you buy a custom built Desktop with XP professional or Vista HP for basic use? I am leaning towards a basic configuration until Windows 7 is released so here are my options.

1. Vista Costco ..Offers Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E4700 (2.6GHz) and 2GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024) for $543 pretty good deal. http://www.costco.com/CTO/HPLanding..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
2. The custom computer will have XP will cost about the same unless I bump both to 3gig.

Cnet review gave Vista a 7.4 out of ten with complaints and gave HP PC 9 out of 10.
http://reviews.cnet.com/computer-software/?filter=500016_110762_

Last edited:
1, 2, & 3 on your list are pretty much non-issues if you're buying a new major manufacturer (like HP) PC.

4 is a problem on both XP and Vista (and MacOS, and...) and is more the MPAA and RIAA's fault than the OS makers.

5 can be turned off -- do so at your first opportunity.

I'm not sure what you mean by 6.

If you're comfortable building your own PC, go for it and install XP.

But if you don't feel like spending the time to track down and install all the various hardware and drivers, get the HP.

Dell was also having some ridiculous deals on quad-core systems last week -- you might want to check their website and see what's currently being offered.

Vista isn't all bad especially on current hardware, I'm typing on it now, but given a choice, I'd probably still go with XP Pro.

I just bought my daughter a Toshiba Sattelite Notebook with TL60 DuoCore and 2GB RAM for $650 at Best Buy. This smokin fast computer puts my home system to shame...its a Dell Dimension 8250 that runs on Vista also. I have 2 notebooks and one desktop running Vista. No problems...

As long as your software will run on Vista, I would go for it.
While it's made me angry at times(SP1 was a bad experience), it's not bad.

If you get a pc out of the box w/ vista installed and it already has the applications on it you want to use then it will work fine. I just picked up a toshiba lappy and it had vista. worked fine except for wifi as vista breaks w/ certain routers/wifi cards so i had to locate a registry tweak. If i had a choice I'd get one with XP as Vista is really a between version of XP and the new hotness, much like windows ME.

I'm actually the creator of said thread. Here's my take.

I'm probably a little over the top in my hatred with Vista. While I'm not a fan of Vista, I probably exaggerate in how much I hate it. Does it work? Yes. Does it have features that are nice? Yes. Am I using right now? Yes.

However here has been my issues with Vista. As mentioned in said thread, I have two exactly identical Sony laptops that I got at the same time. I loaded the same software on both laptops and use them roughly about the same. The only difference is that one has Vista and one uses XP. To me, that’s a pretty good side by side comparison. Now, I’m sure someone can tell me that Vista has more capacity to perform some sort of higher level permutations or that it has some better encryption techniques for better security or some technical mumbo jumbo like that (John@Microsoft, I’m looking in your general direction. J/K!!! :biggrin::tongue:) However, my take on it is as an every day, just an average guy, real life kind of experience. In my experiences, the Vista machine runs much, much slower than my XP unit. There is no if’s, and’s, or but’s about it, it runs noticeably slower. This is all running the exact same software, programs and usage. While it’s not a huge difference, it is noticeable to a layperson’s eye like myself. Secondly, I have more errors, crashes, and compatibility problems with Vista by far. I would have to say that my Vista requires a reboot, either by choice or otherwise, about once every other week. My XP machine require a reboot about one every month to two months. Another example, my Vista machine looses it’s wireless connection with my home WiFi for no explained reason. My XP still runs fine, but the Vista just looses it. This usually requires a reboot. Yet another example, I have a 22” and 24” widescreen LCD that I use for the laptops. The Vista machine cannot give me a proper display on the 24” so I have to use the 22”. The XP machine works fine with both. I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

As much as I dislike Vista, it is pretty much an inevitability that you'll need to use it. Features, programs, compatibility issues, etc. will essentially necessitate the need to switch to Vista, regardless of your feelings about it. Based on that reason alone, and solely that reason, I would have to recommend Vista. If this was not such an important factor, I would go with XP in a heartbeat.

dont have alotta time to read all the posts...

Do what I do,

dual boot with XP and vista, I have vista 64 bit ultimate, and then XP 32 bit professional, because somethings are not always working perfect in vista, especially 64 bit enviroment.

regardless on wether its a custom pc or not, it doesnt matter

I built my pc 3 months ago ?

no image resizer on the forums so heres link to picture of it, if u wanna see i g uess lol
http://street-legal-mods.com/datas/users/243-image_372.jpg

Another example, my Vista machine looses it’s wireless connection with my home WiFi for no explained reason. My XP still runs fine, but the Vista just looses it.

My Vista machine used to do this as well, and then I found a supposed power-saving feature that would turn off the wireless radio after a period of inactivity. After disabling that "feature", it hasn't lost connection since.

Grammar Nazi:
Wrong: my Vista machine looses it’s wireless connection
Right: my Vista machine loses its wireless connection

I would recommend going with XP instead of Vista.

If you are looking for an alternative and have some computer knowledge, I would check out dual booting with XP and Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com), a Debian based Linux OS but very user friendly even if your user experience is based on Windows.

I have a dual boot computer on which I'm using XP strictly for gaming and Ubuntu for pretty much everything else.

Vista typically gives home users a fairly good platform as an OS, especially on a new PC. Vista has not been adopted by many IT Consultants, medium and enterprise businesses. Mainly because of the hardware requirements to use some of the features of Vista - not because it's no good. Upgrading to Vista is too costly for an OS upgrade because of hardware upgrades if you own a PC over 1 year old.

As mentioned, before deciding on Vista check all the applications you currently run now to see if they are supported by the developer. If Vista is not supported by your applications then stay with XP. Only because Vista has a 1 to 2 year life before Windows 7 is market ready most software developers are not going to upgrade their software.

Sounds like Vista is a good operating system of the box with support at the 32bit operating level. Hospital wide our IS department has not will not change to Vista as of know due to the cost and training. Being indecisive from shoes, cars and OC about everything I buy:biggrin: I over analyze everything.

I sense that 64bit is ahead of its self very powerful with limited driver-software support. In this test it was marginaly better performer over 32bit enviornment.
http://64-bit-computers.com/windows-vista-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmark.html

I used Linux 10 years ago I like open source as it requires least memory, problem is finding drivers when lost. At this point I am leaning towards building an AMD treo with treo memory on an EX professional possible dual linux system. Its also my understanding that a quad chip will not be used to its potential at the 32bit level and requires 64nbit.

Since Microsoft is annoying 07 in 09 I guess that means we wait till 2011 they usually wait 3 more years on top of their release date:)

This will be my first AMD PC I bought into the whole Intel marketing thing in the past. I guess Intel is better at their expensive chips but not against sub $500 CPU market against AMD.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6389077-1.html

If you are looking for an alternative and have some computer knowledge, I would check out dual booting with XP and Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com), a Debian based Linux OS but very user friendly even if your user experience is based on Windows.

About every six months I try a Linux install. Based on your post, I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04.

It completely crashed my computer. I had to hold down the power switch for five seconds to even restart it.

This is on a Dell that runs Windows XP Pro for months at a time without needing to be rebooted.

I'm still waiting for a truly user-friendly (read that as Windows- or Mac-like) Linux experience. I'll try again ... in another six months.

My Vista machine used to do this as well, and then I found a supposed power-saving feature that would turn off the wireless radio after a period of inactivity. After disabling that "feature", it hasn't lost connection since.

Grammar Nazi:
Wrong: my Vista machine looses it’s wireless connection
Right: my Vista machine loses its wireless connection

But it loses it's connection right in the middle of me using it. I can be in the middle of surfing a web page and then, BAM, internet connection is gone. I go to the XP and it runs fine.

PS I'm pretty good about my spelling and grammar. But to my defense I was on some meds post surgery. Actually I'm quite impressed that I was pretty coherent considering the state I was in. :biggrin:

Bob,

About every six months I try a Linux install. Based on your post, I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04.

It completely crashed my computer. I had to hold down the power switch for five seconds to even restart it.

This is on a Dell that runs Windows XP Pro for months at a time without needing to be rebooted.

Not sure why Ubuntu crashed your computer but I have loaded Ubuntu on at least two Dell computers and two custom built computers without experiencing a hard crash.

My personal experience with XP is a little different. After updating SP3 for Win XP on my gaming computer, the computer "blue screened" and was unable to boot XP successfully after the update. Reinstalled the XP OS from a backup image but after successfully updating with SP3, then the sound card stopped working -> had to load updated XP drivers for the sound card to work again.

I'm still waiting for a truly user-friendly (read that as Windows- or Mac-like) Linux experience. I'll try again ... in another six months.

You don't have to wait -- 8.04 is already there. You might want to try another computer so that you can evaluate Ubuntu properly.

But it loses it's connection right in the middle of me using it. I can be in the middle of surfing a web page and then, BAM, internet connection is gone. I go to the XP and it runs fine.

This happened with me sometimes. I also had to upgrade my cordless telephone to the new higher frequency. 6.0 Ghz. Now when the phone is in use I can still surf the web.

You don't have to wait -- 8.04 is already there. You might want to try another computer so that you can evaluate Ubuntu properly.

If 8.04 can't install on my Dell (which functions perfectly well in all other respects, including running Debian Linux), then I'm not going to recommend it to my clients. I don't know why it crashed, and I'm not really interested in investigating it. I'll wait until 8.10 comes out in October, and try it again.

I want to like Linux. I hear many great things about it. But everything I've seen about it is that it's still a "hacker" level product, and not ready for mainstream computer users.

This happened with me sometimes. I also had to upgrade my cordless telephone to the new higher frequency. 6.0 Ghz. Now when the phone is in use I can still surf the web.
This is a good point. If you have cordless phones that operate on 2.4 GHz (the same frequency as wi-fi) then that could be causing it. Switching to a 5.8 GHz phone should solve this; I had to do this as well when I first put a wireless router in my house.

This is a good point. If you have cordless phones that operate on 2.4 GHz (the same frequency as wi-fi) then that could be causing it. Switching to a 5.8 GHz phone should solve this; I had to do this as well when I first put a wireless router in my house.

Ok, if that is the case, why does it only affect my Vista machine and not my XP machine? :confused:

Ok, if that is the case, why does it only affect my Vista machine and not my XP machine? :confused:

Do you have connectivity issues with the firewall turned off?

Vega$ NSX
Ok, if that is the case, why does it only affect my Vista machine and not my XP machine?

Check that the wireless client in the Vista machine is using the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturer. XP drivers are more mature and stable at this point when compared to Vista drivers for wireless clients.

Check that the wireless client in the Vista machine is using the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturer. XP drivers are more mature and stable at this point when compared to Vista drivers for wireless clients.

I've turned off the firewall and updated all my drivers to no avail. The best link I can find is that when I've been using Vista for a long time and intensively, things start to randomly break down. Example, over time, window explorer or internet explorer will just randomly crash. Or like I said before, WiFi will just disconnect and not reconnect. Sometimes some of my attached USB drives will disconnect and not reconnect or reidentify. Memory usage will go through the roof and not back down until I go into Again, none of this happens on my XP machine. I've got massive cooling fans on both laptops so I know it's not overheating. I've just chalked it up to issues with Vista.

I've turned off the firewall and updated all my drivers to no avail. The best link I can find is that when I've been using Vista for a long time and intensively, things start to randomly break down. Example, over time, window explorer or internet explorer will just randomly crash. Or like I said before, WiFi will just disconnect and not reconnect. Sometimes some of my attached USB drives will disconnect and not reconnect or reidentify. Memory usage will go through the roof and not back down until I go into Again, none of this happens on my XP machine. I've got massive cooling fans on both laptops so I know it's not overheating. I've just chalked it up to issues with Vista.

BTW, the issue you mention with Vista having problems displaying on a 24" screen properly have absolutely nothing what-so-ever to do with the OS and everything to do with the 3rd party drivers. I ran Vista on a 24" monitor for months until moving to a 30" with nVidia supplied drivers. If you can only get video drivers from your laptop vendor, then they likely get the blame if they don't have updated drivers available. You can probably use reference drivers with some minor hacking (if you have an ATI or nVidia chipset in the laptop). I've had to do this in the past to get current drivers to run on my Dell laptop (on XP!!) when Dell didn't keep up with their video driver releases.

Back