• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

dali thigies

Are all nsx's having the window regulator problem or just a particular year or number of years? I have heard of potential problems with the 91' & 92' but what about later year cars? Thanks,Milt

Originally posted by MILT:
Are all nsx's having the window regulator problem or just a particular year or number of years? I have heard of potential problems with the 91' & 92' but what about later year cars? Thanks,Milt

This is covered extensively in the FAQ.
You can also take a look at Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #93-004. No soup for you!
stick.gif

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

They re-designed the window regulators in '93 to prevent the problem. Some '93's may be affected, but certainly nothing later than that.

You can view the TSB here.

P.S. Hi Milt!
wink.gif

I believe the factory fix was already incorporated in the majority of the '92 cars. A year ago, our South Bay chapter in CA had a club NSX workshop day where several owners got together to fix any known issues with their cars. One was the window "thingie." Upon inspecting three '92 models, they already had the updated parts! Two were the original owners of the cars so they weren't done after the car left the factory. On a '92 NSX, the only way to be sure is to check for the update yourself.

The photo below is from my 91 NSX with the original part which has not failed. I opted to have the Dali replacement part installed now instead of waiting for it to fail. As you can see, it is supported only on the top and bottom by tabs that tend to weaken, bend, and break off putting a lot of tension of the cable on the plastic "thingie" causing it to crack. It was not inteded to support the entire tension of the cable this way since the tabs were taking up some of the tension as well.

thingold.jpg

The photo below is of the installed Dali part. It wasn't that hard to install it with another person helping out. I never took out the assembly and installed it holding the window in place. I hooked the upper end cable nub in the upper portion of the Dali part. Putting the end cable nub in the upper portion of the Dali part first kept the window in place. Doing it the other way would require you to hold the window upward to prevent it from falling into the door.

The trick now was to seat the lower end cable nub in the lower part of the Dali part. Pulling as hard as I could, I was still about a half inch short. I grounded the sharp edges down a bit to provide a smooth surface for the end cable nub to slide on. With the help of Mike Niday, he took some needlenose pliers and gripped the end of the cable with the nub resting on top of the pliers. Standing facing the door, I used a hammer handle and placed it underneath the pliers. Pulling the hammer handle upward with both hands brought up the end of the cable just high enough to slide it in the Dali part. It seated perfectly. That all there's to it. My tabs supporting the "thingie" were in good shape but now I don't have to worry about a thing. The aluminum Dali part will support the window cables even if the tabs broke.

thingdali.jpg

Here's a photo taken by Chris Wilson of the updated factory window regulator part. As you can see, it's supported completely all around.

thingnew.jpg

Vytas

------------------
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 18 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Vytas (edited 19 February 2002).]

Vytas, those are by far the best pictures of the difference in the regulators. I had seen confusing diagrams before, but these photos make it very clear what the problem is.

Lud, maybe you could incorporate the photos and Vytas's description into the FAQ?

Vytas - nsxtasy is right, those are great photos! Do you mind if I put them in the FAQ?

Originally posted by Lud:
Vytas - nsxtasy is right, those are great photos! Do you mind if I put them in the FAQ?

Please do put them in the FAQ. Keep in mind the last photo is by Chris Wilson and wasn't taken by me.

Back