• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dead battery...brake lights.

I know this has been discussed many times but...for new(er) owners of older NSXs.
My NSX stays on a tender but the (4 year old) battery was dead. I replaced the battery and as I was walking away from the car (in the sunlight) I noticed the taillights (brake lights) were on.
As I suspected, the little plastic puck on the brake pedal broke/failed and the brake lights stayed on (in the garage) until they overwhelmed the battery tender and battery failed. Replaced (from autozone) in minutes and now all is fine.

Ps-the puck associated with the clutch/cruise control went out last month and that was a pain to replace until I finally came up with a plan (documented on this forum).
Tom

Out of curiosity, was your stopper blue plastic which is what was fitted to earlier cars or white plastic which is what was fitted to later cars? I have been wondering whether the change reflects a change in the plastic to something more durable. If your original stopper was white then perhaps the white stoppers are just as failure prone as the blue stoppers.

An old quote from Honda is that if they change something on a part, they give it a new part number. I would think that changing the material compound on the button would warrant a part number change (oddly so would color in a very narrow view of form, fit or function).

My brake light button broke about 10 years ago, and my cruise control clutch button about 3 years ago. I believe both were of the blue color.

Out of curiosity, was your stopper blue plastic which is what was fitted to earlier cars or white plastic which is what was fitted to later cars? I have been wondering whether the change reflects a change in the plastic to something more durable. If your original stopper was white then perhaps the white stoppers are just as failure prone as the blue stoppers.

Original was blue...

Back