• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW opinion

I need to get an LCD monitor and I'm looking at the Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW. This is for work (actually working from home) and I need to have a large working area. I read some good reviews about this monitor but wonder if anyone here have one and would like to state their opinion.

I have an nvidia 6800 256meg and it supports the LCD max resolution of 1920x1200.

Thanks.

what kind of working area?

For my job I find that using a dual monitor setup will give me more space than a very large monitor.

My brother has one and I totally fell in love with it. I was going to buy one until I tried to play a game on it. IT SUCKS for games. For work though, it would rule.

Dual monitors is a huge plus for work. I would get that monitor and then a smaller LCD for the time when you want two displays.

I have the 24 and a 20 in a dual monitor set up. It's an awesome monitor!.. and like someone said.. it sucks for gaming.. For everything else it's great.. PIP, Multiple inputs.. rotates to portrait mode.. ..

if you need gaming.. and that size, you might check out the new ACER 24.. I think it has an 8ms response time. That should be much much better for games.. Viewsonic has some monitors (not 24) that will do 2ms response.

HTH

we used these for my previous job in a sort layout for informational presentations throughout hallways...the widescreen layout ended up distoring images, and stretching windows layouts alot...I'm sure it could be fixed but also a headache to deal with if youre not patient...

5inchfatlip, that's a good point that applies to all wide aspect monitors. On the 2405FPW, the user can choose the stretch setting that works best (there are three options). Of course, if the native 1920x1200 resolution is being used (which is what's recommended and MRacer said will be used), everything will be fine. :)

I have the 2001FP and it's awesome. I paid 2x what the 24" costs today, and I thought I was getting a fantastic deal. After all these years it still rocks.

Another Idea..

My brother is running a 37" 1080P LCD HDTV for his graphics work.

it does 1920 x 1080 12ms 1000:1 550 cd/m2

Handle all the audio video inputs you can throw at it. cost him $1500 at the time.

I have one and I think it's great. In fact, I recently sold my 23" Apple Cinema Display (Same resolution but only has DVI input) and decided to just keep the Dell (initially I was going to keep both). It's very bright, and the colors aren't quite as good as the apple, but considering it has DVI, HD15, Component, Svideo, Composite, PiP/PbP.. Way more useful. Highly recommended for the price! Also, the Dell is much better at accepting an input that has been extended. The Apple display would start to get noise after extending more than about 2 meters, but the dell extends a good 6 meters, without needing a signal booster, with no noise.

Need more screen space? Pick up a second one as the price continues to drop!

-Josh

I looked at the Dell Ultrasharp 30" display but decided the Apple Cinema 30" was better and bought it. The colorimetry on the Apple product is better and the display is brighter. It makes your work look fantastic (you can even proof print jobs on it) and clients love it.

I added a 17" Dell FP second display for all the Adobe palette windows. The FP (flat panel) line, which looks great in my office on it's own, looks like a TV from the 50's compared to the Apple Cinema display.

Last edited:
I used to have a dual setup (17 & 19), but ever since I got 3 more computers (yeah, I'm a computer freak) I ended up splitting the dual monitors. One monitor were hook up to 3 computers and one went to the wife's computer.

fkong777: 'working area' meaning a higher resolution. The 17 and 19 monitors can handle up to 1600x1200 each but the fonts were too slow and causes headache for me after a while. And also the desk is running out of space.

Doh, I forgot about the response time. :eek: I wasn't planning on playing games (ie xbox & ps2) on it but since the issue came up I'll look into other brands. However, this is mainly for work so I doubt I will search very far.

i dont understand why people say it sucks for games. The 2405 doesn't. I've only experience ghosting on it ONCE - for 1sec in a particular level of the RainbowSix: Lockdown demo. The 2405 is good for games IMHO.

For everything else, it's stunning. If I'm not mistaken, it uses the same panel as Apple does for their 24" LCD. The PiP is great, and it will look stunning on your desk.

In case anyone is interested... Currently, the best deal on the 2405FPW seems to be through the Small Business section:

2405FPW for $759.24 shipped
Currently $799, coupon 72WVB652M9MZ27 is 5% off (expires after 1000 redemptions or April 5).

Or, for $379.76 more, you can get this system attached to your monitor:

Dimension 9150 with 2405FPW for $1139 shipped
  • Pentium D 820 (dual core, 2.80GHz, 800FSB)
  • 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz
  • 160GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive
  • Dual drives (DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW) in place of the CD-ROM is an additional ~$48.
Currently $1579, coupon RQW3QSZ0L9PSBW is $380 off (expires after 900 redemptions or April 5), and 72WVB652M9MZ27 is 5% off (expires after 1000 redemptions or April 5).

Ojas said:
In case anyone is interested... Currently, the best deal on the 2405FPW seems to be through the Small Business section:

2405FPW for $759.24 shipped
Currently $799, coupon 72WVB652M9MZ27 is 5% off (expires after 1000 redemptions or April 5).

Or, for $379.76 more, you can get this system attached to your monitor:

Dimension 9150 with 2405FPW for $1139 shipped
  • Pentium D 820 (dual core, 2.80GHz, 800FSB)
  • 512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz
  • 160GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive
  • Dual drives (DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW) in place of the CD-ROM is an additional ~$48.
Currently $1579, coupon RQW3QSZ0L9PSBW is $380 off (expires after 900 redemptions or April 5), and 72WVB652M9MZ27 is 5% off (expires after 1000 redemptions or April 5).

thanks..order submitted:biggrin:

mike

I like the 2405 (use it in a dual monitor setup at work), but I don't love it. It is sharp, good contrast, bright, and colors look pretty good after calibration, but I would not trust it for color proofing (I don't trust color response of LCD monitors in general).

I miss my old Sony wide-screen CRT....

Back