• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Detailing secret that works like a champ!

I am going to tell you a secret that works better than any other product I have tried. It is good ol' Lemon Pledge. Yes, Lemon Pledge!

I have used it on my plastic trim, mouldings, windshield wiper arms, tires and anything else that is black plastic or rubber.

As you all know, all Hummers are covered in black plastic that likes to fade to a dullish gray after no time. In fact, I think Hummer H2 and H3 have more black plastic trim than any other vehicle out there. Not so on my Hummer. The plastic trim looks better than brand new all the time!

I have done this for years and the trim on my C6, Hummer H3, Expedition and NSX, and all look like brand new!

This is how you do it:

1) Spray Lemon Pledge on all black trim, wheels, windshield wipers, trim at the base of you windsheld, etc.

2) Do not become alarmed about overspray on the paint or window. Just spray away!

3) Let sit a couple hours if possible (not absolutely necessary).

4) Don't become alarmed about how glossy it is. You will end up with a deep, slightly shiny matte finish when you are done.

4) Wash your car like you normally would using a mild, higher end car soap (or like my wife does with the Expedition and Hummer, run it through the local full service car wash).

5) Dry your car with a towel of some type.

For some reason, the Lemon Pledge washes right off the paint and windows but a very light coat remains on the plastic and rubber.

I have tried this same procedure with other products including Aerospace 303 Protectant and it doesn't work. Instead of a nice, smooth, even finish, I ended up with white streaking all over the plastic. Fortunately, this all came off and things returned to normal with a quick wipe down of Lemon Pledge.

One other product I tried that did work very well was Zaino's Clearseal (aka: CS). The only issue with it was cost. Due to the fact that this process involves a lot of overspray, and the price of CS ($30 for a 6 oz. bottle), it didn't make sense for me to continue to use it since I obtained the same, or better results, with Lemon Pledge.

I am not foolin' ya here. This stuff is unbelievable! It remains on the plastic/rubber until the next wash, does not attract excessive dust, does not turn your clothes black if you rub up against it and mud/dirt washes right off next time you wash.

Hey, I wouldn't be doing this on my $150k stable of cars unless it was safe and worked like a champ! Best part is you can buy it at Costco or Sam's Club for about $2 a can (xlarge cans) in a three pack!

Ya can't beat that with a rubber hose!

Last edited:
Just so I get this correctly, you mean Pledge as in furniture cleaning/waxing spray (that is the kind that I know of being sold here)?
I have a Ford van with plastic bumpers and sidemouldings turning light grey and very difficult to turn black again.
I will have to see if they sell this stuff over here too :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can see this working. I was short on cleaning chemicals one day and I wanted to clean up a dirty IBM notebook with a rubber coating. All I could find was Lemon Pledge and so I tried to use it to clean. That stuff soaked into the rubbery exterior and made it shiny and it was hard as hell to clean it off. For cleaning the notebook, it was a mistake because the smell was annoying and it was slick. But i can definitely see why it would work on plastic or rubber trim.

Yes...furniture wax. Lemon Pledge made by S.C. Johnson and Son Inc.

Just so I get this correctly, you mean Pledge as in furniture cleaning/waxing spray (that is the kind that I know of being sold here)?
I have a Ford van with plastic bumpers and sidemouldings turning light grey and very difficult to turn black again.
I will have to see if they sell this stuff over here too :rolleyes:

Actually we use pledge on our race bikes for the same reasons for years. It is a good cleaner/polish which is a lot cheaper than Honda , Yama, Hog spit type polisher

I have also used pledge on tires, if you don't like the ultra wet look. Makes the sidewalls look like new rubber. Obviously don't get it on the treads, just the sidewalls.

Tytus

Tytus is 100% correct! I use Pledge on my tires and it keeps them looking like brand new. No shine, just new rubber looking. The best part is if you bump up against a wheel, you don't get black all over your clothes like you will with most tire dressings.

I have also used pledge on tires, if you don't like the ultra wet look. Makes the sidewalls look like new rubber. Obviously don't get it on the treads, just the sidewalls.

Tytus

Pledge is also the best thing I have ever found for removing bug guts. Been using it for decades on airplane wings and fronts of cars.

You also have a special product for that, forgot the name i thought it was from turtle wax or mequairs that stuff also works great.

The Turtle Wax product is excellent! It's called Black Chrome, but hasn't been available in the U.S. for years. I'm still using a bottle I've had since 1999 to keep the black trim on my cars black (a little goes a long way). It is, however, available for sale from Turtle Wax UK. If someone in Europe could get a buy together for us, I'd take a few bottles. Nothing has ever worked better on black trim.

Yes...furniture wax. Lemon Pledge made by S.C. Johnson and Son Inc.
Hey, I just tried this on some trim on our Porsche and it looks fantastic (couldn't jump right to the NSX, sorry for the minor lack of faith ;^)

GREAT tip, Rob!
Brian

Been using Pledge for some years now too since my friend told me about it. I never thought of spraying it before car wash though, I always spray after and I get frustrated with overspray. So thanks for the tip..

Pledge all the way.. LOL..

niM

The Turtle Wax product is excellent! It's called Black Chrome, but hasn't been available in the U.S. for years. I'm still using a bottle I've had since 1999 to keep the black trim on my cars black (a little goes a long way). It is, however, available for sale from Turtle Wax UK. If someone in Europe could get a buy together for us, I'd take a few bottles. Nothing has ever worked better on black trim.
Love that stuff, I've been forced to use "Back to Black", nowhere near as good as the Black Chrome!!

I continue to use it on my Hummer plastic trim and they look like brand new. Never attract dust either and I live in the dust capital of the world...Phoenix!

Back