• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

DupliColor Bronze Wheel Paint - Anybody got pics?

tof

Experienced Member
I'm painting a set of oem 16/17 rims. I have completed one with some Krylon bronze metalic paint. The paint is great with just the low-gloss look I was hoping for, but the bronze color is a little light for my taste.

Anybody have pics of anything painted with Duplicolor's bronze wheel paint?

I'm painting a set of oem 16/17 rims. I have completed one with some Krylon bronze metalic paint. The paint is great with just the low-gloss look I was hoping for, but the bronze color is a little light for my taste.

Anybody have pics of anything painted with Duplicolor's bronze wheel paint?

I painted my 91s with this paint and have a pic. I will have to post it after work though. I think it looks pretty good myself. At least on a Formula red car.

Only pic I had on my computer.

2011-12-27163620.jpg

I had a few when I tracked my car in oem 15/16. it came out very nice, but the color went a little flat after the wheels got warmed up (track duties with oem brake)

8246DSCF0042.JPG

8246DSCF0064.JPG

hope it helps.

Perfect.

I just received four cans of Dupli-Color Bronze wheel coating from Northern Auto Parts. (Hard to find that stuff locally)

A quick test spray and it looks like this is exactly what I had in mind.

I'll be doing a wheel refinishing thread in the Tires and Wheels forum soon.

Why not try Plastidip. Isn't that reversable?

Couple of reasons. The sandable primer I'm using does a great job of filling in small scratches and very light curbing, and it appears to be very stable. Also I'm just a lot more comfortable with rattle-can painting. And the Duplicolor wheel paint goes on easy, dries fast, produces a really nice metalic finish (from what I've seen in testing) and is pretty though. Also touch-up for any future scratches and chips should be a breeze.
I've never worked with plasti-dip.

Oh, one other reason. The chrome was NOT pretty. It wasn't peeling but it was discoloring in places and had some surface oxidation in others. So, yes, plasti-dip can be reversed but in this case I wouldn't really want to.

-Mike

Last edited:
Couple of reasons. The sandable primer I'm using does a great job of filling in small scratches and very light curbing, and it appears to be very stable. Also I'm just a lot more comfortable with rattle-can painting. And the Duplicolor wheel paint goes on easy, dries fast, produces a really nice metalic finish (from what I've seen in testing) and is pretty though. Also touch-up for any future scratches and chips should be a breeze.

Oh, one other reason. The chrome was NOT pretty. It wasn't peeling but it was discoloring in places and had some surface oxidation in others. So, yes, plasti-dip can be reversed but in this case I wouldn't really want to.

-Mike

I see was just curious.

-Mike

Mike, good luck on your project. I did nearly the exact same thing with my seven-spoke 16-17" OEM wheels. I summarized it here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154586

I used a sandable primer, but in hindsight, if I were to do it all over again I'd use some filler as well. The primer, while thick enough for very small blemishes, was not thick enough to fill in the chips in the paint very well. I would have been faster and would have come out better had I used some filler. I had to use very many coats to get it to fill in, and even at that, would have been better with filler.

That said, this is noticeable only when looking with a very discerning eye about a foot from the wheel. Anything further than that, say, standing in front of the wheel, and they look flawless.

BTW, I'm really happy with the color I chose, as I mention in the post they look silver in some light and gold in others.

Were you planning to remove the tires to do the work? I did and I found it made it easier to ensure the coverage on the edge of the wheel was adequate; I don't know that I could have done it as well having to mask the tires.

Let us know how your effort turns out.

Mike, good luck on your project. I did nearly the exact same thing with my seven-spoke 16-17" OEM wheels. I summarized it here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154586

I used a sandable primer, but in hindsight, if I were to do it all over again I'd use some filler as well. The primer, while thick enough for very small blemishes, was not thick enough to fill in the chips in the paint very well. I would have been faster and would have come out better had I used some filler. I had to use very many coats to get it to fill in, and even at that, would have been better with filler.

That said, this is noticeable only when looking with a very discerning eye about a foot from the wheel. Anything further than that, say, standing in front of the wheel, and they look flawless.

BTW, I'm really happy with the color I chose, as I mention in the post they look silver in some light and gold in others.

Were you planning to remove the tires to do the work? I did and I found it made it easier to ensure the coverage on the edge of the wheel was adequate; I don't know that I could have done it as well having to mask the tires.

Let us know how your effort turns out.

I'm with you on the filler. Some of those little pits and digs just don't show up very well when the rim is primed with a flat black primer but were noticable when I applied a couple of coats of bronze. So I picked up some bondo brand metal plastic filler. Seems to bond tight with good adhesion and can be readily sanded.

These rims are the ones that came on the car. I swapped in some nice polished ones (not chrome) that are pretty much flawless. Picked them up here on Prime. I swapped the tires over when I mounted the polished rims so the ones I am working on are bare.

As soon as I get around to taking some pics I will start a thread on the project and post a link here.

Back