• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Everest

Fantastic Program.!.! I am already planning to buy the DVD series. I hope it comes out in HD..

DonPablow said:
Fantastic Program.!.! I am already planning to buy the DVD series. I hope it comes out in HD..

I am climbing everest right now on discovery channel web site. Wish me luck!

steveny said:
Discovery channel will be running the series back to back on Sunday for those who missed it the first time around.
Just to clarify...

Unless you receive the "Discovery Times" cable channel, you will have to wait until NEXT Sunday, December 31, to see all six episodes, not THIS Sunday, December 24. Read on.

The show consists of six episodes, which were originally cablecast on a weekly basis:

EPISODE 1: SUMMIT DREAMS
Tuesday, Nov. 14, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

EPISODE 2: THE GATEKEEPER
Tuesday, Nov. 21, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

EPISODE 3: TO THE SUMMIT
Tuesday, Nov. 28, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

EPISODE 4: INTO THE DEATH ZONE
Tuesday, Dec. 5, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

EPISODE 5: MUTINY ON THE MOUNTAIN
Tuesday, Dec. 12, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

EPISODE 6: THE FINAL COST
Tuesday, Dec. 19, at 10 p.m. ET/PT

This Sunday, December 24, they are only cablecasting the series on the Discovery Times channel. And you will have to check the listings to make sure you get all six episodes, since they are not being broadcast sequentially (starting at 8 a.m. Central Time, they're doing episodes 1-5, 1-3, 1-6, 4-6). You can catch all six episodes in order starting at 4 p.m. Central Time.

If you get the Discovery channel that is included in most basic cable packages, tune in next Sunday, December 31. They will broadcast episodes 1-6 in order starting at 4 p.m. Central Time, and will repeat episodes 3-6 immediately after that.

Very cool show. Thanks for the heads up on the marathon. Only thing it doesn't very well convey is the "exposure" on some of those faces. Just you, a 60+ lb backpack, on crampons, and an ice ax, hiking up a 30 degree face with a 3000 foot slide waiting for you if slip...scary shit. :eek:

Steve is right this is a great series. If you have read the book Into Thin Air is a great book by Jon Krakauer, It's about a 1996 Everst climb. If you have seen the I-Max on Everest it was filmed on that climb. The I-Max team saved quite a few climbers. Great reading. I am now so interested in everything Everest. Great series I WILL own on DVD. I hope it comes out in HD.

I also agree that "Everest" is a must see series. It's amazing what people will sacrifice to summit! :eek:

I'm also hooked watching Bear Grylls on "Man vs. Wild."

It's incredible to me that people will climb that mountain when they have to pass by 200+ dead bodies to get to the top....seems like one of the most selfish things you could do..to risk your life to get to the top of a mountain..

what about your friends and family?...seems like you would be saying.."well my need to achieve this goal is more important than your need to have a father or a husband or friend"

just completely insane IMO

zahntech said:
It's incredible to me that people will climb that mountain when they have to pass by 200+ dead bodies to get to the top....seems like one of the most selfish things you could do..to risk your life to get to the top of a mountain..

what about your friends and family?...seems like you would be saying.."well my need to achieve this goal is more important than your need to have a father or a husband or friend"

just completely insane IMO

I told my wife I was going to climb Mt. Everest. She says how long will you be gone for? I said well....I might not make it back at all. Only 1924 people have ever made the summit. The cost to go is 70-100k. I think it would be quite an accomplishment to be able to make it to the top. I am sure without a doubt that I could have made it in my 20's or 30's but now at 40 I am not so sure I would make it back. I know I could make it up but not so sure about getting back down. Sucks getting old.

steveny said:
I told my wife I was going to climb Mt. Everest. She says how long will you be gone for? I said well....I might not make it back at all. Only 1924 people have ever made the summit. The cost to go is 70-100k. I think it would be quite an accomplishment to be able to make it to the top. I am sure without a doubt that I could have made it in my 20's or 30's but now at 40 I am not so sure I would make it back. I know I could make it up but not so sure about getting back down. Sucks getting old.

Great goal. I wanted to do the same, but only had technical rock climbing experience (no alpine climbing). I took a 1 week expedition course on Rainier through Rainier Mountaineering Inc. (RMI- VERY highly recommend) in April 2003 and planned to do Denali that summer. As much as I enjoyed the course and the basics, I pretty quickly realized that "exposure" scared the hell out of me. No Denali. No more plans for Everest or anything like it. :frown: :redface:

But to your point - 40s is nothing. Even early-mid fifties, which you might be by the time you've done enough climbing to do Everest. "Just" have to be in excellent shape. Go for it! :smile:

FWIW, season 2 of this has started and there are some familiar faces. I can't believe Russell is letting Tim try this again after the crap he pulled last time!

It's on tomorrow night and I can't wait. I hope Tim makes it up and back this year. I am kinda rooting for him. He reminds me of a lot of friends I had in the past that are no longer with us.

I haven't quite figured out the schedule. It was on last night but it wasn't the first episode. I haven't seen anything in my "TiVo" guide that indicates the episode I missed will be on any time soon. I put "TiVo" in quotes because I just traded it in for DirecTV's HDDVR and so far as I can tell, the guide searching ability sucks compared to TiVo. It was nice to watch Everest in HD, but honestly the "HD" for this series didn't look significantly better than watching the non-HD version last year.

Rob I am sorry I thought today was Monday. The new episodes are on Tuesday night at 9 or 10 not sure which.

I just read your post in the cop tazing thread about how sometimes you get so busy, you don't know what day it is. I guess you weren't kidding!! :)

I just read your post in the cop tazing thread about how sometimes you get so busy, you don't know what day it is. I guess you weren't kidding!! :)

Well I am not really busy right now but I flubbed it anyways. I never real pay attention to too much of that day, week, month, thing. I just get up and go when stuff needs to get done.

Any bets on whether or not Tim makes it? The cheating bastard flew right up to camp 4 on his oxygen when nobody else had it. That was pretty amusing :). They don't make it look good for him in the scenes for next week.

Any bets on whether or not Tim makes it? The cheating bastard flew right up to camp 4 on his oxygen when nobody else had it. That was pretty amusing :). They don't make it look good for him in the scenes for next week.

He looked like he was high on his O's :tongue:
I think he will make it, they made it look bad, but he will make it.

I dunno, he started struggling pretty early on this year, it seemed to me he was in better shape last year. On the other hand, he may very well have made it last year if he hadn't left camp 4 late and gotten stuck in that traffic jam. If I were him, I would have done what the 71 year old guy is doing and bring up 3 bottles of oxygen instead of 2 just to make sure.

Tough call, but I'm going to say he doesn't make it.

Steve is right this is a great series. If you have read the book Into Thin Air is a great book by Jon Krakauer, It's about a 1996 Everst climb. If you have seen the I-Max on Everest it was filmed on that climb. The I-Max team saved quite a few climbers. Great reading. I am now so interested in everything Everest. Great series I WILL own on DVD. I hope it comes out in HD.

+1

It was one of the best books I've ever read. It will make you think twice about even thinking of climbing a mountain. It isn't nearly as glamorous as it appears to be.

Back