• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Experience with 1997 + OEM clutch replacement

Always planning for the eventual, I was checking on replacement options for the 1997+ OEM single disc clutch / dual mass flywheel. For some reason, I had it in my head that when the clutch disc / pressure plate went, the flywheel had to be replaced with it which is a $2300 US ticket all by itself. However, I see that Honda does sell the disc and pressure plate separately. The factory service manual is explicit in requiring replacement of the flywheel if run-out is excessive. It is silent about resurfacing for surface flaws / burning.

Does anybody have experience with replacement with OEM and if so, did you do just the disc and pressure plate or did you also do the flywheel? If you did the flywheel, were there causes for that decision such as excessive run-out or surface cracking or was it done for some other reason?

I have a 98 and replaced the clutch with OEM and a resurfaced-used OEM flywheel. My situation was out of necessity because the car came with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel. In order to go back to stock, I needed to swap out the flywheel. The trusted shop that I used sourced out an used replacement flywheel which helped keep the cost reasonable.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you much about the condition of the flywheel because it was installed when I picked up the car. I can say that it drives like a normal car with no complaints.

I realize my post does not directly answer your question. Perhaps you can follow my experience by resurface your current flywheel (assume there was enough material). How many miles are on your clutch/flywheel combo?

About 74,000 miles. The clutch is not showing any wear symptoms; however, at some point you know it is going to wear out and need replacement so I am just planning ahead. The fact that you were able to resurface a used flywheel is encouraging.

I know that on a more conventional clutch arrangement the torsion springs are located in the clutch disc** assembly and on occasion the springs break. On the 97+ flywheel and clutch, the torsion springs are located in the flywheel assembly between the inner and outer flywheel. I have never heard of the springs on the dual mass flywheel failing; but, I was wondering whether the 'replace as a complete package' thing was related to concern about their potential failure.

** correction

Last edited:
I had a similar experience to natcc99; when I bought my car, it had a popular aftermarket clutch that was supposed to be "like factory" - and found it so chattery and miserable to drive that I got to the point where I did not want to drive the car anymore. Ended replacing it with a used OEM flywheel and new disc and have had luck with it. So, that's one more data point to add to the list of successes so far as well.

I know that on a more conventional clutch arrangement the torsion springs are located in the pressure plate assembly and on occasion the springs break. On the 97+ flywheel and clutch, the torsion springs are located in the flywheel assembly between the inner and outer flywheel. I have never heard of the springs on the dual mass flywheel failing; but, I was wondering whether the 'replace as a complete package' thing was related to concern about their potential failure.
If it was a car of the VW group I'd recommend to change the flywheel as well as their dual mass flywheels tend to wear out after 100k miles (well, more or less by design like all their shitty cars). A Honda is not a VW so I guess that it lives longer but not forever, it mainly depends on how the has been driven. I doubt that the NA2 is even in the need of a dual mass flywheel. Maybe Honda just wanted to try out the new technology back then. A NSX has natural vibrations by design that wouldn't be accepted in a Diesel with multi-time injection and much more potential for vibrations.
Because there are only a few NA2 with over 100k miles on them time will tell how long they last. Depending on when you consider the next clutch job I'd give it a try. I remember your thread about a cheaper option for OEM parts. I guess you can take the risk. :)

Interestingly, Honda went from a dual mass flywheel in the FK2R back to a conventional flywheel design in the newer FK8R. The clutch in the FK8R is perfect and no undesired vibrations are prevalent either.

Last edited:
It might depend on how warned down it is and if resurfacing would lead to it cracking later. I had mine replaced and later resurfaced but it had 40k on it.

If it was a car of the VW group I'd recommend to change the flywheel as well as their dual mass flywheels tend to wear out after 100k miles (well, more or less by design like all their shitty cars). A Honda is not a VW so I guess that it lives longer but not forever, it mainly depends on how the has been driven. I doubt that the NA2 is even in the need of a dual mass flywheel. Maybe Honda just wanted to try out the new technology back then. A NSX has natural vibrations by design that wouldn't be accepted in a Diesel with multi-time injection and much more potential for vibrations.
Because there are only a few NA2 with over 100k miles on them time will tell how long they last. Depending on when you consider the next clutch job I'd give it a try. I remember your thread about a cheaper option for OEM parts. I guess you can take the risk. :)

Interestingly, Honda went from a dual mass flywheel in the FK2R back to a conventional flywheel design in the newer FK8R. The clutch in the FK8R is perfect and no undesired vibrations are prevalent either.

I guess i must be one of the few as my car (97) has 104,000 on original clutch ,in 2009 I bought a clutch kit for made by Beck Arnley (still on shelf in basement). The dual mass flywheel can be refinished but it must be done on a surface grinder . By removing the clutch dampening hub and springs from the clutch disc reduces the inertia of the clutch disc and thus reduces the load on the transmission synchros. If you have ever played with different diameter clutch discs you will know what I mean .

I guess i must be one of the few as my car (97) has 104,000 on original clutch ,in 2009 I bought a clutch kit for made by Beck Arnley (still on shelf in basement).

2009 - somebody else was also planning ahead! Based upon your experience perhaps I should expend mental energy on other things rather than the clutch.

2009 - somebody else was also planning ahead! Based upon your experience perhaps I should expend mental energy on other things rather than the clutch.

No your thinking right ,from your posts i can tell your experienced "this aint your first rodeo" . I'am always searching for material ,if the price is right i buy . With regard to clutch kit I found a vendor selling at "closeout price - one left " I jumped on it . My regular parts supplier checked the kit # and availabilty ,it was correct for my car and was being discontinued (only fit na2 nsx ) . Its amazing what you acquire thru the years ,had a plumber call me on a sunday night looking for a 1" corporate valve for a residential water line , yea i got one , someone got their water turned back on .LOL

Last edited:
Back