• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Falken Rt-615 for track tires

The Falken RT-615 is indeed somewhere in between a street tire and a track tire. They won't perform as well as a track tire on the track, so they're really not an alternative to the RA-1. But they are stickier than other street tires. They are only so-so on rain (although they are better than their predecessor, the RT-215) and they wear extremely rapidly, more rapidly than the OEM tires. A lot of people use them on Civics and Integras, particularly if they want to use the same tire for autocross as well as daily driving (and if they don't mind replacing them frequently).

Pirelli PZero Corsa how good are those compare to the toyo RA-1 i'm using those now and i think there pretty good

nsxtasy said:
The Falken RT-615 is indeed somewhere in between a street tire and a track tire. They won't perform as well as a track tire on the track, so they're really not an alternative to the RA-1. But they are stickier than other street tires. They are only so-so on rain (although they are better than their predecessor, the RT-215) and they wear extremely rapidly, more rapidly than the OEM tires. A lot of people use them on Civics and Integras, particularly if they want to use the same tire for autocross as well as daily driving (and if they don't mind replacing them frequently).

How many miles did you get from yours?

I'm currently running 215/40-17s on the front and 275/35-18s on the rear and I think they're great. I just had the car re-aligned and I have not had the car on the track yet but I'm sure these tires are the next best thing to an "R" tire. The amount of grip they have for the price is excellent. As far as the amount of wear / miles you get, you don't really buy this tire for long life.

So far, I think they're an excellent value. I'll let you know what I think after some canyon runs or a track day.

97 Spa Yellow Pearl

I'm running the same sizes as Zonker on my 91. They seem to be very sticky thus far and at their listed price I wouldn't hesitate to at least try them out. I think you could get at least 10k out of them.

Nihilation said:
I'm running the same sizes as Zonker on my 91. They seem to be very sticky thus far and at their listed price I wouldn't hesitate to at least try them out. I think you could get at least 10k out of them.

What pressure are you running on them? I'm current running 33f, 37r.

Man I love mine. I have never heard them squeal... even when they break loose... still a silent tire overall and enormous grip. I'd buy a set again in a heartbeat.

I switched to RT-615's last month from the Goodyear F1 DS-G3's. Couple of observations from the "butt test"..

Falkens seem to fit my suspension set up better...according to my "butt skidpad test"...they feel much sticker on my '01 NSX.

Here are some of my spec's from my "Butt Skidpad Test":

Stock Wheels
Comptech Sport Suspension lowering the car by aprox 1"
16" 215/45's
17" 255/35's
Hawk slotted rotors/Hawk Pro Pads

-1 degree camber front
-2+ degree's camber rear

Took the car on my favorite mountain run (ran it uphill and downhill)...where I've marked out brake points... two hairpins (full 180) fronted by a series of chicanes.

I was working on faster exit speeds on the hairpins...for me this means less (or no) braking "entering" the chicanes...with progressively later brake points going into the hairpins.

Hairpins:
Immediately noticed that the Falkens are "quiet"....it was a little weird....and took a few runs to get used to.

Braking seemed about the same as the Goodyears.

Apex in the hairpins was about the same.

Here's the difference....I found that I could accelerate harder and a bit earlier exiting the apex...while the car has a bit of oversteer, the backend really settles down nicely and after a few runs was very predictable.

With the Goodyear's, I found that they would slip a bit under hard acceleration and create more oversteer or a slower speed....at times this was a bit unpredictable and coming out they tend to "grab hard" causing some quick steering to keep the car straight.

Chicanes:
No real difference....but I did manage to scare the piss out of myself and a few deer....and I swear I went under Rudolph...and he's a he..not a she:biggrin:

Regards,

Nice write up. Do you know your exact alignment setup? I'm running a 17*8/18*10 setup and I want a good street/canyon drive alignment. Thanks

Front
Camber -1.0
Caster 9.2
Toe 0.12

Rear
Camber -2.1
Toe 0.19

If anyone is wondering....yes, I am headed to the track next spring...next set of mods are:

Larger sway bars
Chassis Bars
Short Shift Kit
TE-37's 17/18
Tire size to be determined.....but I am leaning towards 215's and 265 or 275's...have to see what the other suspension mods do.

Regards,

Thanks for the info! Question about your toe settings. Are you running positive toe front & back?

For those running these tires, do they seem to run smaller than the S03's, or is it my imagination?

I want to buy 235/40R17 & 275/35R18 for a 8 & 10 inch wheel. I had the 215's of the RT615's and they seemed small for the wheel.

Many thanks in advance!

Onsoku said:
For those running these tires, do they seem to run smaller than the S03's, or is it my imagination?

I want to buy 235/40R17 & 275/35R18 for a 8 & 10 inch wheel.
Smaller sizes of both the RT-215 and the RT-615 generally run larger than other tires labeled with the same nominal size. I don't know if that is also true of the sizes you are considering.

I switched to Azenis and have run one track day. Nice improvement over the old Yokos. Good tire for the price.

I love these tires! I ran these on my NSX and ironically my best lap times were in light rain at Beaverun, lol. Definitely going to buy a set for my Z.

DCNSX said:
I switched to Azenis and have run one track day. Nice improvement over the old Yokos. Good tire for the price.

Since we NSX owners can pick up a set of 4 for under $500 at the Fontana, CA America's Tire Co. I'd say it's a great tire for the price. (Just ask for Jovi and mention the NSX deal--can be any tire, not just Falkens). The Azenis 615-RTs are the closest thing to R-comps for the street.

NSXGMS said:
Since we NSX owners can pick up a set of 4 for under $500 at the Fontana, CA America's Tire Co. I'd say it's a great tire for the price. (Just ask for Jovi and mention the NSX deal--can be any tire, not just Falkens). The Azenis 615-RTs are the closest thing to R-comps for the street.

Will they ship them at this price plus shipping?

Back