• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Falken Tires

I'm looking for some inexpensive tires for tame street driving. I've studied the FAQs on tires, and I ran a search for "Falken" but to no avail. The tires I've found are Falken FK-451s from Discount Tire. Sizes: 215/40/16 and 245/40/17s, for stock wheels on a 2000 NSXt. Any thoughts? Will the slight variance in front tire size have any negative effects?

I use Pirelli p7000's .They were purchased at discount tire.they were very compeditivly priced.I told them scrap the warrantee @ 40.00/tire is not bad exept when i wiegh the fact its a pro-rated warrantee(conditional at that).I put 12,000 miles on them and it looks like possibly 30% tread is gone.Thats unbelievable to me.Mark Basch couldn,t believe it .I,m sure the fact that he used "his formula" to align the car helped.For what you save up front may be incrimental compared to a potentially "pretty much proven to me" 25-35,000 mile tire on an NSX .Just a thought.I dont mean to sound so opinionated but If i find a product that is of value I like to share the info.Bear in mind I may cruise at high speeds but I "roll" the throttle and rarely launch the car.These definately have an effect on tire wear.I'M sure you got the membership card to NSXCA for the discount tire 10%.GOOD LUCK....

------------------

I'm looking for some inexpensive tires for tame street driving.

You bought an expensive high-performance car so you could try to save a few bucks on the tires? That doesn't make sense. The tires are the one area where you can get the most benefits by spending just a little bit more.

Will the slight variance in front tire size have any negative effects?

It's not so slight. The outer diameter of these tires is 3.6 percent smaller than stock. As per our recent discussion, there are a lot of other areas that can also contribute differences in front-to-rear outer diameter (different models of tire, differences in tread left). Add in those possible differences and you can easily reach the threshold where TCS fails to function properly (supposedly around 5 percent). I would suggest looking around for a different size.

That's a little bit better (0.7 percent larger than '97+ stock in front, 3.5 percent larger than stock in the rear, for a difference of 2.8 percent).

A question for NSXTACY?? Could I run a wider tire up front than the one I listed?See the post above(MYNSX) if so would it be adventagious(can't spell that).Bear in mind i have a 92'(no power steering)???I'd appreciate your input.Being you seem to have some more experience with the NSX .I've only had mine for a year.PS cool licence plate!

PS...I run 215/40 17's front and 275/35/18's rear If that helps...

That's a little bit better (0.7 percent larger than '97+ stock in front, 3.5 percent larger than stock in the rear, for a difference of 2.8 percent).

As noted in the "Wheel Tech" section of the FAQ, "245/35/18 or 285/30/18 is just 0.1% larger than stock" and one of those sizes might be better in the rear.

BTW, the previous calculations for difference from stock was based on the '97+ stock sizes, not on your '92 which is slightly different.

Could I run a wider tire up front than the one I listed?

Yes, but (depending on the size) you might run into problems with rubbing. For some suggestions on sizes, check out the "Wheel Tech" section of the FAQ by clicking here.

if so would it be adventagious

This is debatable, and differences in performance, if any, are likely to be minor. Most people who get bigger wheels and wider tires do so primarily for looks.

Being you seem to have some more experience with the NSX .I've only had mine for a year.

I've had mine a little longer than that - 11 years next month, with maybe 60 track events on it.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 November 2001).]

Reply to NSXTACY.Yes I do remember them saying to me anything wider up front may rub.Being there is no power steering it probably would make parking tougher although I dont find it to be difficult especially with a slow roll.I do love the feel of no power assist at speed I can feel the road very precisely.Wow 60 track events 11 years and under 2,000 miles.Theres a ton of info at the track.I recently pulled apart my drag car so my experience is in drag racing high hp. mustangs/some road racing but GP 125 honda motorcycles,and super x dirt bike 250's 2 stroke honda.Anyway I do appreciate your professional input.THANKS AGAIN!!

------------------

60 track events 11 years and under 2,000 miles.

Under 2,000 miles? Not me. My NSX currently has 51K miles, including exactly 8,375 miles on the track.

NSXTASY --

Your question about saving a few bucks on cheap tires is well taken, but keep in mind that were talking about nearly $500 in certain comparisons. That's ten percent toward my new Basch Supercharger! I don't track my car, and since I'm on a 6000 mile replacement schedule, I thought I'd experiment a little. If I don't like the "cheap" tires, I'll switch back to the Yoko's. Heaven knows I'll be buying another set soon enough.

Back