• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

First Autoweek.... now Automobile

I don't believe it!!
Bye, bye Automobile Magazine!!
Crap.

H-

It's pretty sad. I have a subscription to Automobile and I used to have one for Autoweek and pretty much ever car mag at some point or another. I'd look forward to reading them. I guess I'm used to it because I'm 52 and grew up that way. Pretty soon everything will be on-line and instant. When the NY Times folds up it will be the end of an era.

That's unfortunate. I still go back and reference some auto magazines from just a few years ago to 20+.

I'm afraid, like others have mentioned, that popular press print magazines will be a thing of the past. However, there will always be a demand for print mags - they just have to find a niche. Grassroots Motorsports has been doing relatively well and has actually gotten thicker over the past several years. There's a few niche auto magazines that have emphasized quality paper stock and photography that I see advertising on FB all the time (oh, the irony). If people want to see print magazines continue, the magazine will have to be supported with subscriptions and strong advertiser support by the readers.

Sad to see some of the greats phase out of relevancy though. I hope more and more people realize just what a great reference each magazine was to the community.

I started to subscribe to car mags when I was about 12 years old (1954)... Started with Road & Track and kept adding until I was getting four or five mags a month (one of the earliest subscribers to Autoweek, when it was done in San Francisco where I lived) plus my club mags (SCCA, PCA, Racing Drivers Club). I kept them all for years - kept adding to them, stored in my parents basement in bankers boxes.... when my parents sold their house I had to move the dozens of boxes to a friend's storage area... and finally when even he ran out of space donated them all to the Blackhawk Museum in Danville. That was back in 2010 or 2011. I stopped saving car mags (except for NSXtra and NSX Driver) and a few dozen that have had articles I thought should be saved.
So if any of you need to find an old article, contact Blackhawk.
H-

Last edited:
SFNSXguy what is NSXtra? I have never seen or heard of that. Is a Regional mag?

Back