• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gift option paypal

YES... but if you use this option... be aware that you CANNOT get any recourse from paypal if the sale goes bad.... no guarantees with the gift payments...

If you're interested in doing online transactions while avoiding Paypal's high fees, consider using this service instead of Paypal. (Tip of the hat to NSXprime username Russ, from whom I heard about it.)

Don't use gift option unless you want to never see the part you paid for.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the situation. If you are buying from someone on a forum who has good feedback you should be ok. Sellers frequently request the gift option to avoid the fees but also to protect them from buyers who make false claims after receiving their merchandise. Such as "the $5,000 Tag Heuer I received was really a Chinese knock off".

Sound judgement, common sense and due diligence should always be used when buying from a stranger or selling to one.

Using the "gift" option, just means you're paying the fees, and the seller does not. It does not bypass the 3% fee.

You're better off just doing a typical transaction and adding 3% to the cost if the seller is being a douche about it. Personally, I HATE when sellers ask for 3% on top or specifically state a price +3%. If the item is $100+3% fee, just make the price $105, or suck it up and pay the 3% and make the price $100.

Anyways, back to the gift - don't do it.

Using the "gift" option, just means you're paying the fees, and the seller does not. It does not bypass the 3% fee.

It's completely free if you use your PayPal balance/linked bank account. The only time a fee comes into play using the Gift option is when you use a credit card to send the money.

That's not necessarily true. It all depends on the situation. If you are buying from someone on a forum who has good feedback you should be ok. Sellers frequently request the gift option to avoid the fees but also to protect them from buyers who make false claims after receiving their merchandise. Such as "the $5,000 Tag Heuer I received was really a Chinese knock off".

Sound judgement, common sense and due diligence should always be used when buying from a stranger or selling to one.

I don't care how good your feedback is. I'll never gift a person again. I'd rather pay the couple extra dollars.

It's almost like it gives someone a reason to screw you over.

It's completely free if you use your PayPal balance/linked bank account. The only time a fee comes into play using the Gift option is when you use a credit card to send the money.

Ah ok - Never realized that. I ALWAYS use my CC so I have the extra layer of protection. I don't maintain a PP balance and I never pay through my bank account. I guess that explains why I never knew that. :)

I would still NEVER recommend the gift option unless you're actually giving someone a true gift/donation.

I've set up an account but haven't actually used it yet. Russ has and has posted that he's very happy with it.

I've used Dwolla a few times. Overall the service is good and IMHO deserves a look. The main attraction is the flat $0.25 fee for payments up to $5,000, and payments under $10 are free.

Dwolla works like a Paypal e-check, from the buyer's bank account->buyer's Dwolla acct->seller's Dwolla account-seller's bank account. You can keep a balance or fund your account as needed, however it takes a few days for the ACH to complete both into, and out of, your Dwolla account. They offer buyer protection. They aren't as picky about what you're buying or selling (unlike paypal which will ban you if they find out you're using it with Gunbroker.com, for example.)

I use the gift option whenever possible.

I know I'm not going to screw anyone intentionally, and have even refunded money when a transaction didn't go as it should have on my end.

I never make it a requirement, but I do request it of people sending me money through PayPal.

I haven't gotten burned yet...and so far, I haven't burned anyone either.

I've never had paypal ever help me out when your screwed....

The gift option works great as long as the account is linked to a bank account or that theres cash in the account.

I offer the gift option to those who are hesitant to pay the transaction fee. My online reputation is just as important as my real life reputation. Not all people are like that, hence that's why there are these scum on the forums which I won't mention.

Having said that, if I'm buying from someone I do not know, I will gladly pay the fee and use my cc just because I know it protects me.

You're better off just doing a typical transaction and adding 3% to the cost if the seller is being a douche about it. Personally, I HATE when sellers ask for 3% on top or specifically state a price +3%. If the item is $100+3% fee, just make the price $105, or suck it up and pay the 3% and make the price $100.

Anyways, back to the gift - don't do it.

Ditto
+1

Back