• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

GM/Chevy - are they trying to accelerate their pace towards bankruptcy?

officially the latest ugliest car I've seen to date - the Chevy Nomad.

The little sister to the C6...um, ya.... :eek:

The azztek was more handsome.

nomad_1.jpg

I don't like it. This whole trend to making cars that look like they've been chopped is going to result in a bunch of used cars that look silly and dated in a few years.

And that front end - ouch!

They are trying to, but not for that reason. They recently nixed their new Zeta platform, on which all their new rwd models were based. In one fell swoop, they killed (or at least set back a good deal):

-next Impala
-next Monte Carlo
-new Camaro
-redesgned GTO
-2 new Buick models (including a roadster that got rave revies from the public and press alike)

there were 2 more models that got screwed because of this move, but I cannot remember them now. All in an effort to save money so they can focus more on the truck and suv programs.

Not only have they shot themselves in the foot, they seem to have jumped feet first into a wood chipper...

http://www.latimes.com/classified/a...neil6apr06,1,4799428.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-03-21-gm-cuts_x.htm

poet_x said:
They are trying to, but not for that reason. They recently nixed their new Zeta platform, on which all their new rwd models were based. In one fell swoop, they killed (or at least set back a good deal):

-next Impala
-next Monte Carlo
-new Camaro
-redesgned GTO
-2 new Buick models (including a roadster that got rave revies from the public and press alike)

there were 2 more models that got screwed because of this move, but I cannot remember them now. All in an effort to save money so they can focus more on the truck and suv programs.

Not only have they shot themselves in the foot, they seem to have jumped feet first into a wood chipper...

http://www.latimes.com/classified/a...neil6apr06,1,4799428.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2005-03-21-gm-cuts_x.htm

why would GM focus on trucks and SUV's when they know that gas prices will kill the sales of trucks and SUV's ?

ADNOH said:
why would GM focus on trucks and SUV's when they know that gas prices will kill the sales of trucks and SUV's ?

I heard that is the only thing they actually make money on. Big ticket items like Denali's and what not. Gas is gonna put the hurt on GM/Chevy

I think that Nomad looks great. Can't wait for them to appear in hot rod magazines all done up pro street style. 6-71 blower through the hood & some big fat MTs filling the rear tubs... :D

It's cool, looks like a 53 model corvette frontend....retro is where it's at... :biggrin:

ADNOH said:

Because it's what they know. GM is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind on the development of a useful hybrid. They focused much of their energy on hydrogen fuel, but the market took the gas/electric route instead. GM is in serious trouble, and unless they can cut some brands (buick, pontiac, and maybe saturn), they will continue to sink further. GMC should also go away.

Does GM really think the market needs 4 identical minivans (chevy, saturn, buick, and pontiac all have identical models with different badges).

I'll share a recent experience with GM customer service re a 2003 Buick Century that we inherited from Michigan.

The car was purchased brand new by a family member back in July 2003 and on September 2004 the member passed away. The car had 24K miles. From October to this February, the car was hardly ever driven, being in the garage waiting for probate court deliberations. So the car has seen only only one winter season, and every day it was parked in a closed garage. The car was transported via enclosed trailer to California this February.

Upon going over the car with complete detailing, we found that all four suspension mounts, the transmission axles, and the emergency brake cable were showing surface rust. Fenders and door undersills look perfect with no signs of any rust. Took it to one local dealer who agreed and said this is a body shop issue and sicne they don't have one at the dealer, they referred me to the other Buick delaer in town. The body shop at this dealer says this is a parts issue and not body shop since they can't do anything about rusted parts - the body is ok - but he will refer it to the operastions guy with pictures. The operations guy says he lived in Michigan and this is normal; and if I don't like his answer I can take it uop with GM customer service. Well, I liven in Ann Arbor for 6 years and during the worst storms of the late 70s.

GM customer service finally gets hold of this second dealer after three days of attempts, and decides to also call the Buick dealer in Ann Arbor where it was purchased to confirm if this is normal and part of "regular maintenance" and not warranty.

Well guess what? GM decides having surface rust on a car that has seen only one winter in the Midwest while it has been garaged when parked is normal. Now, I asked them had this rust occured in California would they cover it. GM rep refused to answer when I asked if their warranty was based on regional restrictions (which it is not). I asked that she puts her decision (which apparently is not appelable to even a supervisor) in writing for the record, she refused saying that her decision would be entered in the file based on the case number. I asked for a copy of the file as this was our car, she said that was proprietary information and can't be released. So all we have is a verbal denial decision. Her parting comment was you can always file an appeal with the BBB.

Last time I appealed to the BBB on a vehicle related matter was some 6 years ago, and they made a decision far less favorable than what the dealer had already admitted to the BBB as their wrong-doing! Go figure.

If the domestic manufactures expect to survive they need to make some big changes.
Name one domestic vehicle which has the quality/feel of a VW Jetta. Even a high end Cadillac looks like a plastic POS compared to the competitions cheapest car.
Who would pay 50k plus for a Seville when you could buy a much better built Benz or BMW for around the same money. Needless to say the resale value of the foreign car is going to be better than the domestic.
Pontiac is building a great looking convertible the new Solstice. Great looking car reasonable price. NO HORSE POWER. WTF is wrong with these designers. Put 350-400 HP under the hood and sell the thing under 30 grand. They would not be able to build them as fast as they would sell.
IMO build quality, cheap feel and look, and lack of horse power is going to kill all the domestic manufactures.
They have tried to resurrect themselves by low prices and incentives but that only goes so far. I want quality. I want BMW BENZ VW quality at half the price. This is the only way I will ever buy domestic.
Soon foreign vehicles will be priced the same or lower than domestic vehicle because of US labor unions. When that happens this country is screwed.
If America bought every car manufacturer in the world today how long would it take until we all drove cheap feeling POS cars? How long would it take for another country to offer a better car? So many sharp minds in this county, I don't see why someone hasn't implemented a cure for all the above.

VW quality? From consumer reports, VW does have similiar quality already compared to GM. I know what you're saying though.

hlweyl said:
VW quality? From consumer reports, VW does have similiar quality already compared to GM. I know what you're saying though.

The way it feels not how well it holds up. :biggrin:

I bought a Touareg after driving just about every SUV from the Blazer to the Rover. I didn't see any difference between the 25k blazer and the 60k Cadillac SRX. Same plastic cheap build. All the domestics I drove seemed like disposable vehicles. Seemed to me all I would get for my extra 35k was the Cadillac badge.

Back