• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Good sources for racing helmets?

A great source is www.race-sport.net They just opened a showroom and he has some other very nice racing safetly equipment.

I've tried on all the helmets that Aaron has in stock, and the new HJC is great.

I got my last one from Ralph at SPECTORracing, price was fair, shipping fast and I'm very happy with the helmet.

I strongly recommend that you find a helmet supplier in your area, and try them on in person to find one that's comfortable. You can't judge comfort by taking your measurements and buying a helmet of the corresponding size. If you buy by mail, you risk having to send it back if it doesn't fit - and that may happen several times.

I would recommend that you go somewhere to try them on first before ordering one over the internet or by mail. Not many people know their hat size and you should make sure it fits properly before buying it. Once you have tried them on and made your choice, they shop around. Pegasus Auto Racing is also a good choice. http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

EDIT: Ken beat me to the "submit" key.

www.helmetcity.com

Like others have said, go to a store and try on what you like, get your size and then search the web.

The above website had the best prices I found when you factor in the free shipping.

schuey1010 said:
Like others have said, go to a store and try on what you like, get your size and then search the web.
Bob said that, not me.

The stores in your area don't provide the ability to try on helmets as a free service to the community so you can buy them elsewhere. They do so in order to make enough money to stay in business. Support your local stores and buy your helmet there.

I need to find a place to try on a helmet in savannah as I need to get one for roeblilng road. I don't think there is anything close though :(

NetViper said:
I need to find a place to try on a helmet in savannah as I need to get one for roeblilng road. I don't think there is anything close though :(
Ask the folks at the track.

If not, if you get to Atlanta once in a while, you can stop by Racer Parts Wholesale...

nsxtasy said:

The stores in your area don't provide the ability to try on helmets as a free service to the community so you can buy them elsewhere. They do so in order to make enough money to stay in business. Support your local stores and buy your helmet there.

Well said!
I would hit up your local motorcycle dealership. They typically will stock multiple brands of full and 3/4 faced helmets. I reccomend a top teir brand like Shoei or Arai, though HJC and many others make good ones. Try on as many different brands as you can, as many are made for different head-shapes (mainly referring to arai here)
And support your local race business! Its the most irritating thing in the world to have a customer come in looking at your top of the line helmets, talk with them for 20 minutes, and then have them leave and go find one online so they can save a few bucks. Dont be that guy!

paladin said:
Well said!
I would hit up your local motorcycle dealership. They typically will stock multiple brands of full and 3/4 faced helmets. I reccomend a top teir brand like Shoei or Arai, though HJC and many others make good ones. Try on as many different brands as you can, as many are made for different head-shapes (mainly referring to arai here)
And support your local race business! Its the most irritating thing in the world to have a customer come in looking at your top of the line helmets, talk with them for 20 minutes, and then have them leave and go find one online so they can save a few bucks. Dont be that guy!

One thing that you may want to be careful is that over 90% of helmets that motorcycle shops sell are M rated rather than SA rated. A lot of clubs allow M rated helmets, but some clubs only allow SA rated ones.

TigerNSX said:
One thing that you may want to be careful is that over 90% of helmets that motorcycle shops sell are M rated rather than SA rated. A lot of clubs allow M rated helmets, but some clubs only allow SA rated ones.
I personally dont know of anybody thats had a problem using M rated helmets, I believe the tests they run are similar or the same.

paladin said:
I personally dont know of anybody thats had a problem using M rated helmets, I believe the tests they run are similar or the same.
My understanding is:
SA standard requires flammability test while the M standard does not.
SA standard allows narrower visual field than M standard (Some SA helmets may not be street legal).
SA standard has rollbar impact test while M standard does not.

paladin said:
I personally dont know of anybody thats had a problem using M rated helmets...

The biggest difference between the two is that automobile racing helmets have a fire resistant lining, whereas motorcycle helmets are not required to have any fire resistance.

Knowing what I know now about helmets, I would never use a cheaper motorcycle helmet in lieu of a true "racing helmet".

Yes, but from what i've read about the Snell tests (this info was from a couple certs back) that the main impact tests were similar or same. i.e. the roll bar test would be almost identical to a motorcycle impact test.
I wasnt aware of the flammability test, however, i dont know if the helmets are at all different for each test.
Its not really about being cheaper, more about whats "available"
If i had a motorcycle helmet shop and a racing helmet shop next door, it wouldnt be an issue, but at least where i'm from trying to find a retailer for SA helmets is tough

paladin said:
Yes, but from what i've read about the Snell tests (this info was from a couple certs back) that the main impact tests were similar or same. i.e. the roll bar test would be almost identical to a motorcycle impact test.
I wasnt aware of the flammability test, however, i dont know if the helmets are at all different for each test.
Its not really about being cheaper, more about whats "available"
If i had a motorcycle helmet shop and a racing helmet shop next door, it wouldnt be an issue, but at least where i'm from trying to find a retailer for SA helmets is tough

Agreed.

As a side note, I have seen some motorcycle helmets by ARAI that cost far more expensive (~$1,000) than some helmets for autoracing. Those were really high-tech. So, not all motorcycle helmets are necessarily cheap.

TigerNSX said:
Agreed.

As a side note, I have seen some motorcycle helmets by ARAI that cost far more expensive (~$1,000) than some helmets for autoracing. Those were really high-tech. So, not all motorcycle helmets are necessarily cheap.
Yea, some of those Arai's are pricey.
Actually, you cant purchase them online or over the phone. As part of the agreement with the seller they can only be sold in person by a "trained" arai salesman. They have this fancy diagram book they send to every dealer that teaches them how to measure various parts of people's heads to get the correct fit. Pretty intense stuff.

Back