• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Great Houston Drives

For the most part, the Houston area is flat, geologically boring, and the roads are congested. To get a really interesting drive you usually need to go all the way to the hill country. But! It is possible to find interesting back roads a little closer to home.
How about a thread where fellow NSXers who want an interesting day drive can find local routes that are worthwhile? Here goes.

The 149 Route.
This might be the premier Houston-area drive.
A smooth, new-asphalt road snaking through the Huntsville National Forest, not far from Lake Conroe, this road twists enough to be interesting and even has a few ups and downs. It’s not the Tail of the Dragon but it is the closest thing to it I’ve found so far. Unlike the rest of the clear-cut big thicket, the trees have been left standing, so the environment is natural. On weekends you’ll see other enthusiasts enjoying the road in Ferraris, Harleys, (and at least 1 other NSX:biggrin: ) etc., and if you do a quick blast after work on a weekday you’ll have it pretty much to yourself.
The good part officially begins in Montgomery, Texas at the intersection of 105 and 149, which is also a good place to gas up.
149 initially heads North but rainbows to the West. While you’re in the forest, be sure to pull into one of the rest stops. The silence of the place is striking. You’ll pass through the sleepy little town of Richards; the main road does a little jog here, and if you go slowly you’ll find a few good places to do a photo op in front of abandoned “downtown” storefronts. The road then continues on to Anderson, another laid-back town. My city-slicker GF still gets tickled when she remembers the cat sitting placidly in the middle of the main drag through town – zero traffic. Ok, so far you’ve done about thirty miles since leaving Montgomery.
You can turn around at the Anderson courthouse and head back; but if you want the adventure to continue (and some say this is the best part), then I suggest you head out of Anderson west on 149, which somewhere changes its number to 3090. This road is shorter than 149 (perhaps 15 miles) but twistier, and there are a few respectable rises with scenic overlooks toward Navasota. When 3090 intersects with 244, head left (toward NW). A mile and a half later, cross over 30, and go to the Yankee Tavern (on right) for a mouth-watering burger and some cold refreshments with the bikers.
CR164 runs right by the tavern. If you can arrange it, drive up, park at the campgrounds at the Gibbons Creek Reservoir, do a romantic hand-in-hand on the beach, and head out.
If you’re interested, by now you’ve google-mapped the area and know there are plenty of opportunities to mix-and-match the route home; you can even hit the TxRenFest on the way back.

So everyone, if you know of a good drive in our area, post it up! We all wanna drive it! I’ll keep looking, too.

The last little drive we took was a blast and I was just a passenger. Can't tell you the route but the roads were good.

Sorry - I grew up in Houston. The local drives aren't anything special. If you guys are serious then I can try to put together a run down Magagine mountain/Arkansas run. It is an incredible drive but it might be a bit too far for you houston guys.

Sorry - I grew up in Houston. The local drives aren't anything special. If you guys are serious then I can try to put together a run down Magagine mountain/Arkansas run. It is an incredible drive but it might be a bit too far for you houston guys.
I've done that run several times on my sportbike. You can run incredibly fast on a bike though it's a tremendous workout. Hwy 7 is a nice run itself.

I did this on Saturday. Awesome. Highly recommended... Yankee Tavern burger is top notch.

Saw an incredible amount of bikers on that route. Also saw a group of Porsches.

For the most part, the Houston area is flat, geologically boring, and the roads are congested. To get a really interesting drive you usually need to go all the way to the hill country. But! It is possible to find interesting back roads a little closer to home.
How about a thread where fellow NSXers who want an interesting day drive can find local routes that are worthwhile? Here goes.

The 149 Route.
This might be the premier Houston-area drive.
A smooth, new-asphalt road snaking through the Huntsville National Forest, not far from Lake Conroe, this road twists enough to be interesting and even has a few ups and downs. It’s not the Tail of the Dragon but it is the closest thing to it I’ve found so far. Unlike the rest of the clear-cut big thicket, the trees have been left standing, so the environment is natural. On weekends you’ll see other enthusiasts enjoying the road in Ferraris, Harleys, (and at least 1 other NSX:biggrin: ) etc., and if you do a quick blast after work on a weekday you’ll have it pretty much to yourself.
The good part officially begins in Montgomery, Texas at the intersection of 105 and 149, which is also a good place to gas up.
149 initially heads North but rainbows to the West. While you’re in the forest, be sure to pull into one of the rest stops. The silence of the place is striking. You’ll pass through the sleepy little town of Richards; the main road does a little jog here, and if you go slowly you’ll find a few good places to do a photo op in front of abandoned “downtown” storefronts. The road then continues on to Anderson, another laid-back town. My city-slicker GF still gets tickled when she remembers the cat sitting placidly in the middle of the main drag through town – zero traffic. Ok, so far you’ve done about thirty miles since leaving Montgomery.
You can turn around at the Anderson courthouse and head back; but if you want the adventure to continue (and some say this is the best part), then I suggest you head out of Anderson west on 149, which somewhere changes its number to 3090. This road is shorter than 149 (perhaps 15 miles) but twistier, and there are a few respectable rises with scenic overlooks toward Navasota. When 3090 intersects with 244, head left (toward NW). A mile and a half later, cross over 30, and go to the Yankee Tavern (on right) for a mouth-watering burger and some cold refreshments with the bikers.
CR164 runs right by the tavern. If you can arrange it, drive up, park at the campgrounds at the Gibbons Creek Reservoir, do a romantic hand-in-hand on the beach, and head out.
If you’re interested, by now you’ve google-mapped the area and know there are plenty of opportunities to mix-and-match the route home; you can even hit the TxRenFest on the way back.

So everyone, if you know of a good drive in our area, post it up! We all wanna drive it! I’ll keep looking, too.

Yeah it's not the greatest... but it's definitely not bad either!

NSX3.JPG

Back