• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

GROUP DRIVE (NSteXpo) details and Group number sign up.

Group Drive Details. August 30th

I felt the group drive needed it's own thread to organize important details in one source. I anticipate we will have at least 5 or more drive leaders, with each group consisting of 7-8 cars. I don't want to go over that 7-8 figure as that would hinder an enjoyable "spirited" drive. With that being said, there will be at least one group of cars at a less "spirited" pace. This group is specifically for those that would like to cover the course at a slower pace, it will be up to each individual to choose a 'spirited" or 'touring" group. The "Tour" group may have up to 10 cars.

The actual drive will begin near Ben Wheeler, we will leave our hotel (Marriott at shops of Legacy) at 8:30 am on Aug. 30th and will drive approximately 42 miles to the Tanger Mall near Terrell. We will refuel once at Tanger mall, organize each run group and have a brief safety meeting before starting the drive. There will be "turn-by-turn" directions for everyone, but the main responsibility for staying on course will be the group leaders. The drive consists of 120 miles, all on paved secondary roads, with the exception of a couple of short sections in small towns. This area is very rural, and has some amazing twists and turns that will be very enjoyable. There is very little cross traffic, if any, although being that this will be a weekend we may experience some slower local traffic.

The first section of the drive is approximately 36 miles which finishes in Ben Wheeler, we will stop here for a restroom break of approximately 15-20 minutes. I will also check with the drive leaders to see if we need to move cars to other groups, etc. before starting the second portion of the drive. The second portion of the drive has lot's of elevation changes, some involving turns which are extremely fun. At the conclusion of this section we will have lunch in Ben Wheeler at Moore's Store, it's a fairly small family owned business and we will probably fill the place. After lunch we have a short (8 mile) "settle your lunch" section to the highway and a leisurely drive back to the Marriott. Don't be surprised if you find you are tired, so rest up and get ready for the evening event.

Because this drive is a challenging one, even for a great car like the NSX, you need to make sure things like brakes and tires are in excellent shape. If your car is having issues, this drive will accentuate those issues, and may lead to a break down or worse. So do check your tires for wear and tire pressure, torque your lug nuts to their required spec's and make sure your brake system is in top notch shape. We want this drive to be a memorable one that was safe and fun. I'm sure I will have missed some details(s), so I will update this thread as I need to add items.

Run groups: I anticipate no more than 6 run groups, but I will remain flexible, especially if we get a bunch of last minute signees to NSteXpo.

Run groups: description of groups 1-6.

Group #1- This group is for those that have a turbocharged/Supercharged or highly modified NSX, with significant handling improvements and wish to test themselves and their cars limits. If this fits your expectations then this group is for you. It will be lead by a friend that is very familiar with the course and will be leading his group in his heavily modified and supercharged S2000. I would like to limit this group to no more than seven/eight cars.

Group #2- This group is for the normally aspirated NSX that likes driving at a fast pace and isn't afraid of exceeding the posted limit. If this fits your needs, this group is for you. Again, I would like to limit this group to no more than seven cars.

Group #3- This group is a repeat of the above group, possibly at a slightly slower pace. If this suits you, this group will consist of seven/eight cars.

Group#4- Again, this group is "spirited", but is slightly below the above groups pace. This will still be a fun drive pace and will consist of seven/eight cars.

Group#5- The "tour" group. If you prefer to drive at a reduced rate, and still enjoy your NSX this group may be for you. The course is such that even at a slower pace it can be challenging. This group could be as many as nine cars or more.

Group#6- If needed, will be a repeat of Group#5.

I would ask that if you know which run group best suites you and your NSX, please post the group you wish to be added to. I will post the run groups by number( #1-#6) as they fill up, please include your screen name and first name in your post.

EXAMPLE: Group#1 Vanishing Point (Steven)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lunch location in Ben Wheeler.

http://www.mooresstore.com/home.html

Shops/businesses in Ben Wheeler (be sure to check out the custom knife shop)

http://benwheelertx.com/artmerchants.html

Should anyone be joining us late on Saturday, we are starting from the Tanger Mall in Terrell. With the first group leaving at approx. 10 am, each successive group will leave in five minute intervals.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client...ts&ei=QdXsU5zgKM6ayATbg4DoCg&ved=0CIYBEPwSMA0

Reflueling choices near Tanger Mall: Shell, Exxon and Valero.

Last edited:
Group #4 or #3 if 4 is full. Lostbuckeye (Ed)

I will be testing a new turbo install and don't want to push my luck as I get use to 200 more horses. The car is more important than impressing anyone. Thanks for all that you guys are doing to put this event on. I'm really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, I will start formulating each group very soon. I will have to speak on the Law Enforcement aspect, or lack thereof, at fridays meet prior to the drive. Suffice it to say, don't worry about it. :)

Sorry guys, didn't realize the protocol was

group # then screen name then first name and THEN your excuse why you own one of the best handling cars in the world and you're not in Group #1 LoL

mine is, it said "turbocharged" not supercharged, and it's my first time, and and those supercharged S2000s are really fast...

group # then screen name then first name and THEN your excuse why you own one of the best handling cars in the world and you're not in Group #1 LoL

mine is, it said "turbocharged" not supercharged, and it's my first time, and and those supercharged S2000s are really fast...
Safe to say you're in group 1 not 2 lol.

Last edited:

Haha! Ok, Group#1 is for supercharged/turbocharger or any "hot shoe" NSX driver that wishes to enjoy their car for it's designed purpose. Please don't be turned off by my description of each run group, they are merely guides for grouping purposes. If you wish to drive slower, simply place yourself further back in the run group. The main objective is for us to have fun and enjoy driving these beautiful cars in a manner befitting it's engineer(s) and mentor Aryton Senna.

Will people be using walkie talkies? I've found in past group drives it's good to keep in touch if there's an unfortunate accident {lets hope not} or brake down. I always bring one.

Will people be using walkie talkies? I've found in past group drives it's good to keep in touch if there's an unfortunate accident {lets hope not} or brake down. I always bring one.

I've tried using them on previous drives, but due to the hilly topography they haven't worked very well and cell phones have no signal. I have four two way radios I will bring, so if anyone has a set bring them.

hi there everyone. I will be running group #1 with the sloth 2k I am going to do a fast drive but still safe. I do ask that you have a sorted suspension, brakes and tires below or around 200 tread wear so we are all on the same page. that said I have a new set of one off tien src's so until I can go to a track I am not looking to slide through any fast corners though I have them sorted well I just don't know the new limit of the car but it turns. I look forward to meeting you all and having a safe great drive Matt

As a safety concern, and hope you don't mind anyone chiming in, you guys know your mods and cars limits but most importantly, you know your own driving limits. Last thing any of us wants to see is an NSX off in the ditch/woods.

NSteXpo Group Drive August 30th

Groups # 1 thru 6 and their leaders.

Group#1 Leader, Matt (S2k manic)

Group#2 Leader, Steven (Vanishing Point)

1. NSXonwheels (Victor)
2. timeless1 (Hensley)
3. payam972 (Payam)

Group#3. Leader, Terry ( Single Samurai)

1. Lostbuckeye (Ed)
2. Synergy004 (Gil)

Group#4. Leader, Chris ( dirtiehippie)

1. red-nsx (?)

Group#5. Leader, Eric ( REDNA2X)

Group#6 Leader, Wade ( clean_green)

1. Devin (Devin)

I will begin filling in the slots in a day or two as more people indicate their preference. Refer to post number one for a explanation of each drive group.

Last edited:
Put me in for G2..

Put me in Group 3 or 4 - thanks.

Updated with current signees. Sign up guys, you cannot go wrong with any of these group leaders. :smile:

NSteXpo Group Drive August 30th

Groups # 1 thru 6 and their leaders.

Group#1 Leader, Matt (S2k manic)

Group#2 Leader, Steven (Vanishing Point)

1. NSXonwheels (Victor)
2. timeless1 (Hensley)
3. payam972 (Payam)
4. NSX1145 (Jeremy)

Group#3. Leader, Terry ( Single Samurai)

1. Lostbuckeye (Ed)
2. Synergy004 (Gil)

Group#4. Leader, Chris ( dirtiehippie)

1. red-nsx (?)
2. davidf

Group#5. Leader, Eric ( REDNA2X)

Group#6 Leader, Wade ( clean_green)

1. Devin (Devin)
2. Houstonbuckeye (Stan)

Last edited:
Updated post#1 to include lunch location/menu and our start location in Terrell if anyone anticipates not driving over together from the Marriott. I told the employees at Moore's Store (our lunch location) they were going to be invaded by 40+ NSX's and their owners. Their response, "Wow! we remember those cars from your prior drive." "So forty of them are coming........ that will be a Kodak moment"!

Group 3 or 4.

Added you to group 4 davidf.

Here's hoping people aren't put off by my description of Group#1, It's a fun pace without being crazy fast, so don't let my choice of adjectives keep you from signing up. :smile:

Here's a video of a past drive with Matt (S2k manic) Group#1 leading.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DEPr2DELUmU

Last edited:
Hey all,

Don't forget to sign up under any of these groups! All will be fun! Everyone will have at great time no matter whichever group you decide to go with! Keep in mind I am the group 5 leader and will prolly be pushing our cars just as hard as 2,3, and 4! Hope everyone joins the coolest group, which is group 5!

Eric

One thing should be stressed about this drive - it will be as SAFE as possible. There will be a safety meeting before we roll out to begin the course and the rules of the road will be explained. There will be NO passing or "racing" one another. We want everyone to be safe and comfortable within their own limits. We all love our cars and want to keep them beautiful and intact so offroad ventures will not be tolerated :) Come on guys (even us locals), let's get signed up in the appropriated groups. It will be incredible fun!

Back