• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

if you are still looking i suggest that you go for a real state license. real state seems to pay really well nowadays. it's in the same leauge as your carreer anyhow. goodluck.

coming from someone that have done some couching and tought many executives in their quest for employment, i strongly suggest you rewrite your resume....put more valuation into your education, knowledge, and your experiences. i hope you dont' get mad at me, but if i recieve this kind of resume....i would definitely make paper airplane and see how far it flies :D

Akira said:
Hello, I am looking for a job around San Diego area. If you know of any openings, please let me know. You can download my resume at www.akirapark.com

Thank you,

:)

Re: Re: Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

I looked over at your resume and I do agree that it needs some work. I know some entry-level positions put alot of emphasis on GPA.

Personally, my firm does not even look at resumes that don't list their GPA, or have their GPA lower than a 3.0.

I don't think your lack of experience is that big of a problem. Afterall, I'm assuming you are finding an entry-level job.

yellowpad said:
i strongly suggest you rewrite your resume....put more valuation into your education, knowledge

yellowpad has some great advice. You might also want to enlist an employment agency to help you out.

Not at all, thanks for the feedback. I'll work on the resume. I posted in this forum because I KNEW that owners of NSX are smart. :) So ya, thanks again for the feedback.

Re: Re: Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

yellowpad said:
coming from someone that have done some couching and tought many executives in their quest for employment, i strongly suggest you rewrite your resume....put more valuation into your education, knowledge, and your experiences. i hope you dont' get mad at me, but if i recieve this kind of resume....i would definitely make paper airplane and see how far it flies :D

I guess that I can't let this go without offering some corrections:

1. It should be "coming from some who has..." not "coming from someone that have..."

2. It's "coaching" not "couching"

3. It's "taught" not "tought"

4. The apostrophe is wrong in the word "don't"

5. It's "receive" not "recieve"

6. The personal pronoun "I" always takes a capital letter.

You might be good at "couching" but you may want to stay away from proofing his resume.
:rolleyes:

Touche`

Spencer says... You might be good at "couching" but you may want to stay away from proofing his resume.

There is a ForumsNazi & MrWolf who advocate 'the search', I feel emphatically that there is a void and unfilled need for a GrammarNazi, or such. . . Some of the posts as of late are just excruciatingly painful to read, AND I mean aside from the obvious typos. And before the flame-throwers ignite- english is my SECOND language; yet I strive towards a high-level of competency- even if it is mere 'net posts. :rolleyes:

WANTED:
Someone to Police the Threads of blatant, obscene, grammatical errors... A background of OCD will be a bonus :D

Re: Touche`

Osiris_x11 said:
There is a ForumsNazi & MrWolf who advocate 'the search', I feel emphatically that there is a void and unfilled need for a GrammarNazi, or such. . . Some of the posts as of late are just excruciatingly painful to read, AND I mean aside from the obvious typos. And before the flame-throwers ignite- english is my SECOND language; yet I strive towards a high-level of competency- even if it is mere 'net posts. :rolleyes:

WANTED:
Someone to Police the Threads of blatant, obscene, grammatical errors... A background of OCD will be a bonus :D

I second this request.

Re: Re: Re: Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

thanks for the correction. my intention was not to proof read akira's resume....i was scanning for valuation and seeing if his resume reflects his ability to do the job that can open up a door to an initial hand shake. so freaking what if i got a few words wrong....are we being graded now here at prime?
do we have so much time to stay here all day and proof read everyone's posting? if that is the case, you are welcome to do an annual report on my spelling habit and email me. otherwise, accept the fact that everyone here makes mistake. :cool: now carry on to the next thread and read carefullllllly.

Spencer said:
I guess that I can't let this go without offering some corrections:

1. It should be "coming from some who has..." not "coming from someone that have..."

2. It's "coaching" not "couching"

3. It's "taught" not "tought"

4. The apostrophe is wrong in the word "don't"

5. It's "receive" not "recieve"

6. The personal pronoun "I" always takes a capital letter.

You might be good at "couching" but you may want to stay away from proofing his resume.
:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

yellowpad said:
so freaking what if i got a few words wrong....are we being graded now here at prime?

No. No, you're not being graded...

But on the other hand, I'll bet I'm not the only one that finds your comment "...but if i recieve this kind of resume....i would definitely make paper airplane and see how far it flies" just a tad condescending given your writing skill.

I mean, really, the guy has just graduated from college and it's the typical new graduate resume. What would anyone expect? Most recent college graduates don't exactly have a lot of experience to detail. And we've all been there...

I just think we don't need to beat him up about it. Besides I wouldn't "make paper airplane" (missing an 'a' by the way) with it. I think that it's fine; at least it doesn't have a bunch of typos.

;)

some advice

Akira,

I have a few comments that may help. Others may chime in if they agree or disagree:

In general, the order of your sections is correct for an entry-level resume; so that's the good news.

For each job that you apply to, make sure that your objective is geared towards that job. It should state at minimum what position you are applying for and at what level. An indication of what kind of environment you prefer working at is also good.

Adjectives that may be useful in describing your objective include: challenging, dynamic, open, bleeding-edge, established, start-up, fortune 1000, etc. Obviously for your web resume, some of these comments do not apply. However, as it stands your objective is fairly generic. Who doesn't want “to secure the position where I can create maximum impact in ________ business?”

You should carefully evaluate everything you put down on your resume. Items that are self-evident just serve to waste space and people's time. Therefore, I would consider rewording your objective.

If your GPA is above 3.3 you should list it. If your GPA is 3.0-3.3, it’s your call whether or not to list it. If your GPA is 3.0 and under I would not bother listing it. I believe that once your GPA is under 3.0, listing your GPA will harm you rather than hurt you. These numbers may need to be adjusted up for your institution. Perhaps other members could suggest an alternative range.

Employers will take into account which institution you came from and adjust their GPA expectations accordingly. Schools notorious for deflating their GPA, like MIT and U.C. Berkeley receive more slack than other institutions that are known for inflating their student’s GPAs, like Stanford.

Your list of coursework is not necessary. The reason it is not necessary is because anyone who has a degree in marketing may have a comparable set of coursework. This is a waste of space for the most part.

Instead, I would consider breaking up the ‘education’ section into one that highlights just your education (degree, institution, year of graduation, GPA, honors and academic honors associations you are affiliated with), one that highlights just your skills (office applications, operating systems, graphics programs), and finally a separate section that highlights projects you have worked on.

I would select 3 or 4 projects that you are most proud of and describe in depth what was achieved in each project. By listing projects that you've accomplished (even if through coursework), you are demonstrating to the employer that you may have key specific domain knowledge that may be of interest to them. In addition, listing projects also fills out your resume a bit with accomplishments and gives the employer the illusion that you have more work experience than you actually do.

Your description of your work experience describes what you did. However, you should reword it so that it describes what you accomplished. Try to quantify your accomplishments as much as possible. In your warehouse clerk job, are there hard metrics that measure how good of a job you did? How much inventory did you track daily? How many displays did you setup on a weekly basis? How many customers did you assist?

For your marketing campaign work, how did you know it was successful? Again, do you have metrics? What was the scope of it? What specifically did you do in the campaign?

Since you do lack work experience, while you are currently unemployed, I would urge you to consider volunteering part-time at a non-profit organization and list that as your work experience. You will keep yourself active while you are looking for work and at the same time be helping your fellow man. In addition, you may actually learn something and it allows you to state another entry in your work history.

Finally, if you have links to your ad campaign or links to your projects that are on the web, I would definitely leverage that in your resume. If your work is not publicly hosted, I would consider building a portfolio on your server for your work (past papers, scans of your ad campaign, etc.) and link to that instead.

I would also consider using a more conventional email address; something like [email protected]. It will seem more professional.

Finally, I would list languages and interests at the bottom of the page. The interests section is often overlooked, but may serve to stimulate conversation when you are interacting with someone face to face.

Remember, your resume is an advertisement about you. Reflect on your marketing coursework. You want to identify your target audience and then use any number of techniques to sell yourself. I’ve listed just a few here. Put yourself in the position of a hiring manager. What would they like to see?

I know the job market is tough right now. I wish you the best of luck! Everything will be fine as long as you stay motivated and focused in your search.

Highly agree with Hyuan.

Also, your home page should read:

"Welcome to... I'm interested in... You can contact me by emailing me at [email protected]" and be sure to use the "mailto:"convention there, not just
This is a website created by Jae Park. You can download my resume by going to My files. And you can e-mail me by going to Contact.

Also, I hate clicking on links that force me to open up my default email program. You did this on the "Contact" tab, and it is pretty annoying. Change that to a real contact page - with telephone, email, and address, and you'll be much better off.

nah man...

Akira stated... Again, thanks a lot guys. It has helped me a lot. Oh, and English is my third language so sorry if I am little off in grammer.

Your posts seem A-ok man, grammar wise. Typo's are typo's. But, some grammar errors are nothin' short of sinful- as often I have oberved.

All the bests' on your career pursuits...:)

Last edited:
Akira, my brother is in the same position as you are. The one thing I would recommend to you now and in the future is always write about your accomplishments rather than list duties or responibilities.
IE increased worker productivity by 15%.
one of the top three sales people in our organization.
reduced expenditures by 7% year over year.

Anyone can get a job it is what you do with it and by listing accomplishments you will be better able to set yourself apart from others.

Ganbatte Kudasai!
Mata Ne!

Have you considered getting an MBA ? Most of my friends in the business world regret not having persued an advanced degree
when they were younger. Good luck in your career. BTW, I agree that proper grammer and syntax is critical in resumes and cover letters.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Have BS in Business Marketing, looking for a job.

Spencer said:
No. No, you're not being graded...

But on the other hand, I'll bet I'm not the only one that finds your comment "...but if i recieve this kind of resume....i would definitely make paper airplane and see how far it flies" just a tad condescending given your writing skill.

I mean, really, the guy has just graduated from college and it's the typical new graduate resume. What would anyone expect? Most recent college graduates don't exactly have a lot of experience to detail. And we've all been there...

I just think we don't need to beat him up about it. Besides I wouldn't "make paper airplane" (missing an 'a' by the way) with it. I think that it's fine; at least it doesn't have a bunch of typos.

;)
I agree with Spencer. When I read Yellowpad's post, I cringed for its irony. Most of us make typos and grammatical mistakes from time to time and that was not what Spencer was pointing out. He merely pointed out the glass house. From the various posts following, it is obviously that Spencer was misunderstood.
Steve

Mr.Wolf said:
Interesting. I am a "Master of BS" too: though not at a post-graduate level.

My commendation of Mr.Akira3D on using this forum effectively as a search. Very pleasing to see. My sincere regards in your quest. :D

I believe Akira3D has nothing to do with this thread :p

Back