• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hawk brake pads don't fit

I just purchased a set of Hawk pads for the front of my 2000 NSX. The way that the manufacturer attaches the wear indicator interferes with the caliper. See pics. Old pad is on the left. The only way I can run these pads is to snap off the wear indicators. Does anybody have a work-around for this or should I return them for a different brand?

IMG_2235.jpgIMG_2234.jpgIMG_2233.jpg

I recently put Hawk HPS on my car (replacing the HP+ that I used at the track) and didn't have any problems with them fitting. I remember the wear indicators being the same as the HP+ that I removed, so I can take a picture of those for comparison when I am home later. I assume you are putting the wear indicators in the same position as before.

I just purchased a set of Hawk pads for the front of my 2000 NSX. The way that the manufacturer attaches the wear indicator interferes with the caliper. See pics. Old pad is on the left. The only way I can run these pads is to snap off the wear indicators. Does anybody have a work-around for this or should I return them for a different brand?

View attachment 108887View attachment 108886View attachment 108885

It looks as though during manufacturing the wear indicators were installed on the pads 180 degrees off. Can you just rotate them or are they attached too tightly?

^+1 I don't think you'll be able to rotate them but i'm guessing it may be a manufacturer defect? Try comparing the hawks with google images and if they are, just return them for another set!

I called Summit's customer service. They're going to pull and inspect some inventory. This could be a defective batch from Hawk.

I just checked my Hawk HPS new in the box and the wear tab is mounted like OEM. Not like yours pictured. It is definitely a manufacturing assembly mistake/defect.

I sent Summit some pics and they agreed that it's defective. They're sending me another pair. The customer service rep said that they would inspect them before shipping, just in case a whole batch is bad.

- - - Updated - - -

One quick question while we're here. The shop manual shows a pad shim only on the outer pad, yet the Hawk pads come with shims on all four pads. Do I install the inner pads with or without the pad shims?
brakes.jpg

One quick question while we're here. The shop manual shows a pad shim only on the outer pad, yet the Hawk pads come with shims on all four pads. Do I install the inner pads with or without the pad shims?
View attachment 108985

This parts diagram seems to show shims on both sides. I'd use both sides:
13sy801_b2201.png

Attachments

• 13sy801_b2201.jpg
    13sy801_b2201.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 121
Back