• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

headlights pops out ,not in again

The headlights from my 93 pops out when i turn my lights on , but don't pop in again when i turn my lights off ??? Anyone has this problem before ??

I just buyed the car in UK , previous he came from Japan.
I go change the headlights with europeans , because i have no E4 in the japanese ones.

Whe need in belgium that controlnumber (e4 or e11 or e... on every part to drive legal )

Maybe it works with my other headlights ???

there is a button next to the dash light illumination knob..left of it actually..if that button is pushed in, the headlight will stay up all the time..check to see if that button is off..

If the button is not pushed in then you'll need to replace your headlight motors.

Eh, the motors are not quite the next thing in the trouble-shooting chain.

More likely, if it is not just the button on that control unit being pressed, then the control unit itself may be bad, or may just have a bad connection.

I had a similar issue as well as dash lights that would go on and off seemingly as they pleased. The problem was simply a loose plug.

See this thread since it references the part I'm talking about:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122624&highlight=lights

or you can take the lights out look at the connections for the lights, these things are famous for getting corroded so take it apart and find the contacts and clean then with 3200 Grit polishing paper, make the shine, put it all back together and that should do the trick, its alot of work though. try the POP-up light switch you can jump 2 of the wires to see if its bad,

best thing is to consult your service repair manual. for troubleshooting

hope this helps

I still have the problem , that button in my dash is not the problem , i tryed everything with button on , and button off.

I have 3 pairs of complete headlightassembly , i connect all of them on the electrical circuit , and they do all the same thing... Pop out , but not in again...

Maybe something wrong with my relais in the fusebox ???? that's the next thing that i will try. Problem is that my other nsx is in another garage ...
I drive this evening to pick up that stupid relais. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Eh, the motors are not quite the next thing in the trouble-shooting chain.

More likely, if it is not just the button on that control unit being pressed, then the control unit itself may be bad, or may just have a bad connection.

I had a similar issue as well as dash lights that would go on and off seemingly as they pleased. The problem was simply a loose plug.

See this thread since it references the part I'm talking about:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122624&highlight=lights

(quoting myself on purpose)

If the button has NO effect, then it's one of the control units. I had the exact same problem you describe: Headlights would go up, but not back down... UNLESS I reached under the dash and wiggled the connector for the control unit (the box that the button is on).

In the repair manual (see link in my previous post), there is a trouble-shooting procedure you can follow. In my case the connector that plugged into the control box (thing with the button on it) was just loose.

I'd get under the dash and spend some quality time with a multimeter if you know what you're doing there. If not, at least you know where to point a technician.

(the 2nd control box is behind the drivers seat behind the TCS computer (I think).

Last edited:
Hi R13 , i have that button with connector in my other nsx , i try to switch them today. I will post my experience with that. But later , i have no internet in my garage. :biggrin::biggrin:

Héhé , i was just on the right moment on the right place , i bought one LHD '91 in 2007 , and now in 2010 i bought one RHD '93 on ebay.

Both for a cheap price ( = less then the price for 1) :biggrin:

It is the dimmer switch that is gone bad. Behind the switch are very fragile pin connectors that break or come loose. Reach under the dash and wiggle the switch and the lights should come down. I had the same problem many years ago.Replaced the switch and the problem was solved. Cost approx: $125 from the dealer.

Yes , it was that connector with those fragile pin's. :wink:

Now i have another problem , my brakelights didn't work. Nothing , not the long one in my wing or the others. My fuse nr 45 (20) is replaced. I will replece my switch on the pedal , on if it's not fixed then , then i don't know it....

Back