• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many of are ultra hi fi addicts?

Life is so fun and beside my NSX I am passionate for many other things like:

ultra hi fi.

In the near future I am looking to get a pair of MG 20
( Magneplanar loudspeakers able to reproduce 20Hz to 40K Hz +/- 3 Db ) and hope to find two very nice Classé Audio VHC amps
( Very High Current in pure class A ) ...

recently I finished my listening room and I am now working on its acoustics.

I constructed a real brick wall behind the loudspeakers for maximum mass and diffusion efficiency.

So is there some Hi Fi fan here?

i am but i try to stay away from it cuz it costs a lot of money. which i don't have. i don't like getting into something and not getting it.

High end HiFi is something of a religious issue which is not always based on empiricism and logic. Modern stereo or surround sound electronics are pretty darned good. Modern speakers are also good, but they introduce distortions orders of magnitude worse than the electronics. So if you're an engineer/techie type, then spend the bulk of your budget on fine speakers and get whatever electronics support the features that you like.

Yeah, I know, tubes and analog disks sound better even though you they're measurably worse. Bleh... :rolleyes:

Number9 said:
High end HiFi is something of a religious issue which is not always based on empiricism and logic.

Yeah sometime it can be taken way too seriously and this is why I believe in the back to back blind test.

I will not abandon my scientific mind and method!

I also think that when you don't hear the difference, don't pay for the difference ( in cost ).

But the main thing is to have fun and enjoy listening...

Modern stereo or surround sound electronics are pretty darned good. Modern speakers are also good, but they introduce distortions orders of magnitude worse than the electronics. So if you're an engineer/techie type, then spend the bulk of your budget on fine speakers and get whatever electronics support the features that you like.
[/QUOTE]

I understand and I also know that like for cars we may not conclude only with some specific numbers. Only considering 0-60 times and 1/4 aren't enough to fully appreciate nor understand a car's performance...

Have you ever heard a state of the art sound system?

So much nuances in sounds and so much presence and tridimensionality...

If you have to occasion to hear such a sound system it is more convincing to listen to music that you are familiar with ( bring your CD ).

Yeah, I know, tubes and analog disks sound better even though you they're measurably worse. Bleh... :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

I know what you are refering! LOL

I believe mostly my ears

tararan said:

i am but i try to stay away from it cuz it costs a lot of money. which i don't have. i don't like getting into something and not getting it.

Go with second hand stuff ( like for the NSX! ) there you'll be able to get serious equipment at a good price...

Last edited:
Effer, that latter quote isn't mine!

Otherwise, I agree with you that blind listening tests are useful and also have season tickets to the symphony to calibrate my ears. That said, my ears happen to agree with the measured data and I find that speakers are the single most critical component and frankly, most are crap.

There are some incredible bargains out there if you're willing to sacrifice some bottom end (which you can fix later with a servo subwoofer) so it is possible to get good frequency response and holographic imaging at budget prices.

The law of diminishing marginal returns hits pretty early in HiFi, but the high end systems, if set up correctly can almost match the dynamic range and emotional impact of the real thing.

Number9 said:

Otherwise, I agree with you that blind listening tests are useful and also have season tickets to the symphony to calibrate my ears.

Excellent!!! Like wine tasting we must educate our senses.

Number9 said:

That said, my ears happen to agree with the measured data and I find that speakers are the single most critical component and frankly, most are crap.

I agree. Have you ever try to listen to bipolar panels like Magneplanars especially those with ribbon technology. I think you will be very surprised how it is accurate and detailed.

Number9 said:

There are some incredible bargains out there if you're willing to sacrifice some bottom end (which you can fix later with a servo subwoofer) so it is possible to get good frequency response and holographic imaging at budget prices.

For sure and the bottom end is always the hardest part of the frequency spectrum to reproduce because sometime it is simply out of reach of room's dimensions.

You must already know how long is a 16 to 25 Hz wavelenght!

Number9 said:

The law of diminishing marginal returns hits pretty early in HiFi, but the high end systems, if set up correctly can almost match the dynamic range and emotional impact of the real thing.

I agree again!

I have a pair of Magnepan 2.7QRs myself and love them, sure wish I could get my hands on a pair of 20.1s though! :D

Have you had a chance to audition the Martin Logan Prodigys? Might be worth a listen... Best of luck with your system.

ky650 said:
I have a pair of Magnepan 2.7QRs myself and love them, sure wish I could get my hands on a pair of 20.1s though! :D

Have you had a chance to audition the Martin Logan Prodigys? Might be worth a listen... Best of luck with your system.

So if you are willing to pay half price you could find some MG20 second hand.

If its too much $$ do like me and go for MG 3,n or Tympanis...not to forget the downside, when having MG 20, you have to own very serious amplifiers and pre amp to cope with these monsters panels!

Here in Canada I could for the moment get one pair for $9-10k can i.e. around $7k us wich is a true bargain IMO.

About the Martin Logan Prodigy, no but I do believe you.

I'll give you some feedback when I will.

I think once you have listened to bipolar panel you can't return to conventional box speakers. I think you understand me ky650! :)

Last edited:
Exactly!!!
No more dynamic speakers for me :D

Oh, by the way if you are interested in either sellign equipment or buying used check out audiogon.com. Prices are quite down to earth... I picked up my amp (Rotel 1080) for $200 off unopened simply because the buyer had started purchasing his system then changed his mind mid way as to what setup he wanted. If you can find a local seller this may be an option to consider if you're willing to take the time to shop around.

Now if only I could shove the Magnepans into my NSX! (hint Acura)

ky650 said:

Oh, by the way if you are interested in either selling equipment or buying used check out audiogon.com.

Thanks I know that site.

And I also know Audioweb.

As a Magneplanar owner you might find interesting to go to MUG site ( Magneplanar User Group ).

Prices are quite down to earth... I picked up my amp (Rotel 1080) for $200 off unopened simply because the buyer had started purchasing his system then changed his mind mid way ...

Should happen with a brand new NSX!!! :D

Nice deal!

Now if only I could shove the Magnepans into my NSX! (hint Acura)

Ever saw little demo magneplanars about 1 foot tall in shops wich you can open and see inside construction? :)

92NSX said:

Guess Bose isn't ultra hifi is it?

To be honest I think that Bose is a very respectable company wich makes some very interesting dynamic speakers. Concerning the NSX system I think it sounds very good in terms of details and accuracy ( and not to confuse with power wich is another thing ) but I do not have a huge experience in "SOTA" sound systems for cars.

Wich one could be considered as well do you think?

I heard that the Nissan Maxima has a very good one...

Considering my small experience the NSX soundsystem is clearly the best I've heard for a car. Again I am not talking about power but high fidelity.

In the Prime survey about the quality of Bose sound system I would have chosen an answer between outstanding and good and this is why one time I voted for the first while another time I voted for the second.

On the average I created the desired unavailable answer !
:p

Last edited:
Having been the addicted ultra hifi for years, I would have to agree except for the statement that dipoles and specifically, planar speakers are the only way to go. I have had both and am now with more conventional speakers (Infinity Prelude MTS), partially because I have combined a home theater and listening room but also because of the improved dynamic range. In regards to the open sound of the dipole speakers, they are very open and detailed but I would argue that you can get the same qualities with conventional speakers.

I would recommend that you take a listen to the Infinity Prelude MTS or Revel line of speakers. The B&W and JM Labs also deserve a serious auditioning. When I changed my system 2 years ago, these were on my short list and I went with the Infinities due to a killer price for the entire 5 piece system. My other components consist of a Krell Preamp and 5 channel amp, Theta David DVD which also doubles as the CD player, old EK preamp which I use as a phono preamp for a strain guage cartridge and a customized Mapleknoll Athena air platter, air bearing turntable. I haven't upgraded to 7 channel sound, ie DVD audio or SACD but they do sound exciting.

Just my 2 cents and hi end audio is as opinionated as sports cars, everyone has their preference and favorites with measurements not accurately describing the actual experience.
:)

jorligan said:
Just my 2 cents and hi end audio is as opinionated as sports cars, everyone has their preference and favorites with measurements not accurately describing the actual experience.
Agreed but with this qualification: speakers that measure terribly in, e.g., frequency response or distortion always sound terrible. Speakers that measure well however, don't always sound great. So perhaps there is some work yet to be done in pschoacoustic metrics but I'm pretty happy to use the present set of measurements as an initial filter so as not to be bothered with awful stuff. BTW, this is consistent with your sports car analogy as well!

jorligan said:
Having been the addicted ultra hifi for years, I would have to agree except for the statement that dipoles and specifically, planar speakers are the only way to go.

I agree!!! :) For myself I do prefer planar speakers but nothing's perfect and everything is about compromises.

I have had both and am now with more conventional speakers (Infinity Prelude MTS), partially because I have combined a home theater and listening room but also because of the improved dynamic range. In regards to the open sound of the dipole speakers, they are very open and detailed but I would argue that you can get the same qualities with conventional speakers.

Honestly FMPOV I never heard such conventional speakers ( as open and detailed ) but I didn't heard those you mentioned thereafter.

Concerning dynamic range you are absolutely right.

That makes me remember that I heard some years ago in one of my favorite audio shop a set of two MG 3,? and subwoofer making over 104 dB @ 1meter.

Planar are dynamically less efficient but when you "stack" them, as long as you benefit enough room space, it becomes really crazy!

I would recommend that you take a listen to the Infinity Prelude MTS or Revel line of speakers. The B&W and JM Labs also deserve a serious auditioning.

OK!

When I changed my system 2 years ago, these were on my short list and I went with the Infinities due to a killer price for the entire 5 piece system. My other components consist of a Krell Preamp and 5 channel amp, Theta David DVD which also doubles as the CD player, old EK preamp which I use as a phono preamp for a strain guage cartridge and a customized Maplenoll Athena air platter, air bearing turntable. I haven't upgraded to 7 channel sound, ie DVD audio or SACD but they do sound exciting.

Sounds great! Pun intended.

Nice turntable! I'm on the Oracle side!

...and as opiniated as everything where there is human interactions when we think about it!

Afterdeath, love, religion, wine, Superbowl winner...

not to forget Zaino / Zymol! :D

I agree and to each his own. There isn't absolute truth even at the price of making this statement false! :D

ANYBODY COULD GIVE US their opinion about which car has a state of the art custom sound system ?

effer said:
ANYBODY COULD GIVE US their opinion about which car has a state of the art custom sound system ?
That's easy! My Zanardi's engine with single pane glass between it and the passenger compartment (passes through more engine sound) is one of the best custom automobile sound systems! :D

Number 9 and that supercharger makes one sweet tweeter while the engine takes the midrange eh? I think you need one of those coffee can exhausts though to finish off the low end frequencies - otherwise I'll hardly be impressed ;)

I haven't heard it but I think Lexus is supposed to have a really nice Mark Levinson sound system.... in the SC430? My guess is thats probably the best stock sound system on the market today.

ky650 said:

I haven't heard it but I think Lexus is supposed to have a really nice Mark Levinson sound system.... in the SC430? My guess is thats probably the best stock sound system on the market today.

Mark Levinson sound system is available not only in the SC430, but also in the ES300, GS430, LS430, RX330, GX470, LX470. The only Lexus model not available as an option for Mark Levinson is the IS300.

Number9 said:
That's easy! My Zanardi's engine with single pane glass between it and the passenger compartment (passes through more engine sound) is one of the best custom automobile sound systems! :D

ABSOLUTELY!

Most of the time I prefer to listen the engine sound.

CD are for long highway trips at legal speed on last gear.

ky650 said:
Number 9 and that supercharger makes one sweet tweeter while the engine takes the midrange eh? I think you need one of those coffee can exhausts though to finish off the low end frequencies - otherwise I'll hardly be impressed ;)

LOL :)

Oh yes I remember now that fact!

I would also think so even though in car's hifi only name isn't enough to garanty performance because a car environment is such a difficult one acoustically speaking...

I agree completely - what I hope however is that Mark Levinson wouldnt want to tarnish an otherwise well respected name. I definitely wouldn't hold it up to their home theatre standards but I'd hope it would be on par with a nice custom install. Just some speculation...

nsxlover said:
I also am an addict. I need help.

Can't find a sound system using nitro? :D

That makes me think about my phantasme in hi fi:

superconductive amps and components!!!

I would'nt use nitro but liquid... nitrogen :)

What can we do for you nsxlover?

You can tell me everything since we are on the same wavelength considering the nest gen NSX :)

Need help

What's your question. Been doing this for years, use to sell them (paid my way through school designing home systems and custom installs) and a good friend of mine manages a high end shop. If I can't help, I'm sure others on the board can.

Back