• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to best HELP animals?

ShiftyBob's lovely video about animals being ripped apart made me want to ask the opinions of Prime members who I figure might be ahead of me on this one.

I love animals and can't stand cruelty but am only one person and want to focus on something even worse, the potential extinction of species due to humans.

I run retail businesses and for the last year or so have been wishing to arrange for funds the sale of every animal-related product to go towards this cause.

WWF broadly supports it and would have high recognition amongst my customers. However I fear this is mostly because they spent a lot of $ on marketing... which raises money.... which pays for next month's marketing. My inaction so far is largely out of fear that my contribution will be eaten up in this cycle.

What should I do?

i think it would be just as important/impactful to contribute to any local shelters/or animal care centers that take in abused/neglated animals. while it may not be a global name like WWF, it starts somewhere...

I really doubt there are many products that don't negatively effect wildlife. I bet even something as simple as a super ball during production puts toxins in the air that kill birds. Look at the 6 pack holders and how they kill wildlife. The simplest product does damage in some sense.

Can't argue that shelters do great work, 3 of our pets have come from shelters.

However with this I'm trying to focus on extinction, which I think is the greatest form of animal cruelty. If this is done overtly, the cause and the response needs to have wide-ranging appeal or my customers may think their money is being wasted.

Basically I'm trying to locate the single charity most active in habitat preservation and breeding programs for endangered species. Is this WWF?

I really doubt there are many products that don't negatively effect wildlife. I bet even something as simple as a super ball during production puts toxins in the air that kill birds. Look at the 6 pack holders and how they kill wildlife. The simplest product does damage in some sense.

Agreed. I see supporting animals threatend with extinction as a silver bullet for combating this and more. It leads directly to preservation of a healthy environment and cleaner industry.

There are many good causes.... I'm just seeking people's opinions on the most effective way to support this one, in case somebody has been down this path already.

Agreed. I see supporting animals threatend with extinction as a silver bullet for combating this and more. It leads directly to preservation of a healthy environment and cleaner industry.

There are many good causes.... I'm just seeking people's opinions on the most effective way to support this one, in case somebody has been down this path already.

Personally I perfer to give directly through adopting animals from the ASPCA. The last dog I adopted was from there and he was a great dog. After I become more accepting to him being gone and after we get settled with the baby I will go back and get another one. I still have the lab, Ali, she is great for now but it is a lot better to have two dogs so they can interact with each other. Ali seems a little depressed right now because brown dog isn't around. She is moping a bit for sure. She loves it here in Florida because she can run around and play all day outside and swim. She swims for at least 1 to 2 hours a day, everyday.

I'd adopt a pet from the pound WAY WAY WAY the hell before I'd ever pay a dime for a pet. Simple and easy contribution. Even comes with free spay, neuter and shots I think.

I'd adopt a pet from the pound WAY WAY WAY the hell before I'd ever pay a dime for a pet. Simple and easy contribution. Even comes with free spay, neuter and shots I think.

In NY the pound does not spay or neuter pets for free. If you have the pet spayed or neutered and bring proof of that back to them they will reimburse you for the cost to do so.

I purchased our yellow lab. My wife's parents neighbors raise labs and they do an excellent job doing so. I wanted to support their effort in running a proper facility.

Funny story....when we went to pick our dog from the litter I had read a book about puppies right before we went to the facility. The book said to place the puppy on the center of the table and then see if it laid down, walked to the edge or tried to jump off. If it laid down the dog would be calm, if it walked to the edge it would be spirited, if it tried to jump off it would be rambunctious. Even before we put Ali on the table I knew I wanted her. She was the cutest puppy. She laid right down. I thought good she will be an easy dog to have. Boy that book was wrong. She is calmed down now but she was a handful as a puppy. She has actually calmed right down a tremendous amount in just the last month. I think she knew brown dog was sick and that has a bit to do with it.

Agreed on the local shelters and the ASPCA. I cringe whenever I hear people even discussing 'pure' bred animals. Muts for me only please. Local zoos often have good access to wildlife and habitat preservation projects. WWF is a well-run outfit. See their rating here. Charity Navigator is a great resource. Good luck and thanks for trying.

I personally prefer to donate to small shelters than some mass non profit where a good portion of any donation is going to go to overhead. I donate money to the EFRC in Indiana... not local, but very unique and locally rather than donating money, I called a high end cat food company and convinced them to donate food to the shelter where I adopted my latest cat. I put the spin that most people aren't aware of the value of feeding their pet quality food, and that they could learn about it before they ever even adopted their pet from the shelter. If the shelter took the time to explain why they were feeding their animals quality food and that the animals already liked it, perhaps the new owners would continue to buy that brand. The company provided food and coupons to the shelter.

I personally prefer to donate to small shelters than some mass non profit where a good portion of any donation is going to go to overhead. I donate money to the EFRC in Indiana... not local, but very unique and locally rather than donating money, I called a high end cat food company and convinced them to donate food to the shelter where I adopted my latest cat. I put the spin that most people aren't aware of the value of feeding their pet quality food, and that they could learn about it before they ever even adopted their pet from the shelter. If the shelter took the time to explain why they were feeding their animals quality food and that the animals already liked it, perhaps the new owners would continue to buy that brand. The company provided food and coupons to the shelter.

This is so true. Most people don't even bother to read the ingredients in what they feed themselves let alone their animals. There is a huge difference in whats in a lot of different pet foods.

I have a friend who is a vet in NY. Needless to say she gets piles and I mean piles of free food and coupons. We have been feeding dogs, now dog, with this food for as long as I can remember and it really is premium food. Some of the stuff they didn't like and I dropped it off to some of out tenants who have dogs.

Great to see people here that actually have compassion about animals and wish to help. It is something that is way under emphasized in this world's society and government. The world needs people like you to contribute to awareness and to stand up for those who can't.

i think it would be just as important/impactful to contribute to any local shelters/or animal care centers that take in abused/neglated animals. while it may not be a global name like WWF, it starts somewhere...

+1

I agree that the SPCA are one of the best charities to donate too. On a different note (not to hi jack your thread ) did you guys hear about the Japanese whaling fleet heading towards Australia and to the Anarctica to hunt whales?? That should be stoppped.

Back