• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How would you approach this? (lil long)

Sup guys... I have a question for you... here is my situation

I have a 2005 Scion tC. The 'incident' occurred July 11th around 4-5pm. The car was parked on my driveway and was not moved at all. We (gf/neighbor) were outside talking by the car and we hear a 'pop'.. look over, and this is what I see. Nothing struck the roof.

DSCN4288.JPG

DSCN4289.JPG

DSCN4292.JPG

DSCN4294.JPG

DSCN4295.JPG

DSCN4296.JPG

DSCN4297.JPG

DSCN4298.JPG

DSCN4323.JPG

DSCN4324.JPG

The best way to imagine/explain this would be:
Imagine standing by your car... talking to friends... just chillin.. then u hear a small pop sound... look over and your whole sunroof is shattered... yeah.. that's about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqo1Bcluhk0
^^see the nsx in the background on this one :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xok-jhcyinU

So the incident happened Saturday... Up until I had to move the vehicle I didn't drive the vehicle at all. I was hoping to somehow get 'someone' official to come look at the vehicle to prove lack of incident on the glass... boy was that stupid.

Within minutes of this happening I call the insurance company (USAA) and explain to them the situation and that I'm not filing a claim but more just noting of what happened.

Anyway I called the dealership (Checkered Flag Toyota/Scion - Virginia Beach) to see if there is anything they can do. I am told that it's late in the day (true... people wanna go home) and that I have to take care of the issue first thing Monday morning.

From here I decide to take Monday off and call first thing. Breakdown of events:

0730 - Call and explain situation to Connie. From here I'm told that they do not know what to do because they do not have a copy of my extended warranty (paid for the extended warranty they push so hard to sell) and that the company is on the west coast so they'll have to wait till around 11. ok that's fine. I ask about a tow and she says that they would only cover it if the warranty claim is approved. Starting to realize that I'm probably not in a good position I decide to take the car to the dealership myself (primarily so that I'll have a ride after I drop off the car)

0800 - I call insurance company in anticipation of this going sour. My main concern was trying to get someone over to inspect the vehicle who was a 'certified' professional. USAA states that since Scion didn't technically put out a recall on the vehicle, their arms are tied and that most of what I have to work with is going to have to be with the dealership. At this point I feel somewhat 'ok' considering I purchased two vehicles from Checkered.. the Scion tC AND the Tundra I used to tow it to them. I feel that maybe some sort of customer loyalty can be played into this.

1015 - I decide the vehicle is going to have to be brought to the dealership eventually. I may as well go pick up my trailer (not at my house) and tow it to them...

1120 - Arrive with vehicle and unload the vehicle at Checkered Flag Scion for inspection. Well the roof didn't make it. (please consult video)

loading vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVT2GiC9bs

unloading vehicle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbE25PhMISw

I am greeted by Connie who sees the damage and informs me that the roof is not covered under the extended warranty (no surprise really). At this point I decide to escalate the issue. In my opinion had:

1. I been doing something stupid to inadvertently break the glass sure... I'll accept all responsibility
2. Something struck the roof... ok i'll accept that too...

However, considering that neither of those two issues happened... I consider this a manufacturer safety defect. Having consulted google... this issue has been brought up by other people in the past:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_scion.html
^^^^scroll down halfway

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=217526&highlight=roof+shatter

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124879&highlight=roof+shatter

Some of the people in those posts said they received TSB's regarding their roofs...
Well at Checkered Flag Toyota I talk to Adam Graham (director) who says that he will talk to the Scion representative and "bat for me" and see what he can do for me. At this point he is aptly ready to leave and tells Connie to make sure I have my information and that he'll get back with me. Funny thing is that he doesn't collect any of my information as far as video footage or pictures (I brought my camera with me)... at this point I can tell it's not going to work anyway in my favor.

1422 - I call Toyota/Scion corporate (866.707.2466) to report the issue (already feeling the shaft... may as well get the lube)... I told the representative the issue and what Adam Graham (dealership) said he would do. Which was talk to the regional representative. The person on the phone said that the dealer has done the right thing and is following the standards that Scion has set. He gave me a case number (09071152xx) and told me that all he would've done was consulted the regional representative also since he's in California.

1708 - Receive a phone call from the service manager on behalf of Mr. Adam Graham who says that the regional person has denied any type of assistance and that the cost to fix the part is ~1650 (1150 part, 500 labor). The only advice she has to give me is to file it with my insurance company and be done with it.

1711 - I call USAA and inform them of the situation. I am then referred to Safelite auto glass and then when the lady on the phone realizes it's the 'moonroof' I am then referred to Night Watchman Glass (http://www.nightwatchman.net/aboutus.htm) since Safelite cannot handle the moonroof. I am given the number and then get off the phone to promptly call the company to find they are closed for the day.

Now I have two major issues with this:
1. I honestly did think that customer loyalty might come in to play regarding this issue. I bought this Scion and the Tundra from the same location. The sole reason I even bought the Tundra from them was due to the fact I was so happy with their customer service (true story). Viewing some of the other cases above it appears as if some of these roofs were handled on the dealer level.

2. As I mentioned above, had I struck the glass or did something 'out of the ordinary' I would be more than willing to accept the consequences (cost) of the roof.

In my opinion because of the circumstances, it's a manufacturer safety defect that's just ridiculous.

How would you go about this situation?

It looks to me to be obvious that the window broke at the edges, not from some sort of impact. Perhaps there is already a TSB on this type of failure?

Obviously, the stealer doesn't think your loyalty is worth $1650. Get your glass fixed as best you can, hope that your insurance pays for some of it, and then tell them hasta la vista, they just lost any and all future business from you.

I would find out if there is a TSB and pursue it as best I can and make it known to the regional rep and who ever else represents scion that you are aware of the defect and that you are on a online scion board and a list of names and cases have been collected and possible class action lawsuit will take place. I remember having this problem with acura when the 2002-2005 Tl were having frequent transmission failures.

obvious manufacturers defect not to mention a dangerous one. Anyways time is money if you spend more than a few days on it you may pay your deductable and be done with it as insurance usually has a glass clause.
wow you are in va beach my home town! Say Hi to the mermaids for me.

Is the moon roof tinted with after-market tint? I have heard that if a sunroof/moonroof is tinted with limo-tint they will break like that. At least that was what the tint shop told me when I had mine done on my Accord back in 2003 - I elected not to go with limo tint on the roof to be safe. Just a thought. Apparently the limo tint absorbs a ton of heat.

Sounds like your only option is to have insurance fix and pay your deductible.

FYI, NEVER call your insurance provider just to "talk about a situation". Unless you are SURE you are making a claim, I would have to advise strongly against this.

USAA is a great insurance company and this will not go under your comprehensive. Just call them and take it to where they suggest and get it fixed.

I would find out if there is a TSB and pursue it as best I can and make it known to the regional rep and who ever else represents scion that you are aware of the defect and that you are on a online scion board and a list of names and cases have been collected and possible class action lawsuit will take place. I remember having this problem with acura when the 2002-2005 Tl were having frequent transmission failures.

+1

I would pursue this further if you can afford to spend the time.

Don't know if it helps, but I found this on the NHTSA's site.

Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
Recall Campaign 05V483000 has 1 Related Investigation(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA Action Number: EA05013

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s): TOYOTA / SCION TC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manufacturer:
TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.

Component:
VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY

Date Investigation Opened:
August 26, 2005

Date Investigation Closed:
October 26, 2005

Summary:
THE MANUFACTURER NOTIFIED NHTSA BY LETTER DATED OCTOBER 17, 2005, THAT A SAFETY RECALL HAS BEEN INITIATED. NHTSA HAS ASSIGNED NO.05V-483 TO THE RECALL. THE CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL CONSIST OF INSTALLING A PLASTIC FILM TO THE INSIDE SURFACE OF THE WIND DEFLECTOR GLASS. THE CORRECTIVE ACTION WILL BE PERFORMED ON APPROXIMATELY 71,400 MY 2005 AND 2006 SCION TC VEHICLES MANUFACTURED DURING THE PERIOD OF MARCH 12, 2004 THROUGH JULY 21, 2005. BASED ON THIS ACTION, THE SUBJECT EA HAS BEEN CLOSED.

Lots more info here about the history of the problem, resolution and part #'s for the repair. http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.g...s/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCRIT-05V483-6135.PDF

Owner notification letter. http://nhthqnwws112.odi.nhtsa.dot.g...s/Public/Recalls/2005/V/RCONL-05V483-3866.PDF

Last edited:
It looks to me to be obvious that the window broke at the edges, not from some sort of impact. Perhaps there is already a TSB on this type of failure?

yeah i've hunted around and the only thing i've found was the recall that is listed below. Unfortunately, that glass is the deflector glass (there are 3 total on the roof)... :(

Obviously, the stealer doesn't think your loyalty is worth $1650. Get your glass fixed as best you can, hope that your insurance pays for some of it, and then tell them hasta la vista, they just lost any and all future business from you.

Yeah that's the route I'm going to go. However, I am currently drafting a letter to the president of the company to at least say my piece. We'll see what happens from there..

obvious manufacturers defect not to mention a dangerous one. Anyways time is money if you spend more than a few days on it you may pay your deductable and be done with it as insurance usually has a glass clause.
wow you are in va beach my home town! Say Hi to the mermaids for me.
that's a lot of mermaids to say hi to!!! lol :)

Is the moon roof tinted with after-market tint? I have heard that if a sunroof/moonroof is tinted with limo-tint they will break like that. At least that was what the tint shop told me when I had mine done on my Accord back in 2003 - I elected not to go with limo tint on the roof to be safe. Just a thought. Apparently the limo tint absorbs a ton of heat.

The moon roof is not tinted with after-market tint. It is however slightly 'tinted'... probably something from the manufacturer.

FYI, NEVER call your insurance provider just to "talk about a situation". Unless you are SURE you are making a claim, I would have to advise strongly against this.
Yeah at the moment I wasn't really thinking claim b/c I thought for sure I could push the issue back to the dealership or Toyota... mistake..

USAA is a great insurance company and this will not go under your comprehensive. Just call them and take it to where they suggest and get it fixed.
Actually, this is going under comprehensive... even after my disputes and story, evidence, etc... it's just how the ball dropped I guess..

Thanks for all the assistance... I called the "Night watchman" for the sunroof repair and it's getting pushed thru insurance accordingly.
:mad:

Agreed.
The agent on the phone will make notes on your account reflecting the conversation. Even if they say they aren't, they are.

Write a lil diddy (song) about how toyota wouldnt fix your car and put it on youtube! (like the guy did with United)

Back