• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Importing NSX from Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I've been curious about nsx's that are able to be exported out of japan and imported into the California. Since some are now 25+ years old it is now legal to do this but a few questions. Ive been looking at this particular website: http://jdm-expo.com/18-honda

What are the drawbacks of importing these vehicles? (Particularly from the link above)

What should i watch out for?

The prices are a bit cheaper. Why? o_O

First thing, importing from anywhere to the US is one thing, but importing into California is like importing to another country. It's a whole lot more hoops through which to jump.

Second, I wouldn't buy any car from JDM EXPO. They simply find whatever they can on auction, R grade or other, to resell. You'll notice most of those cheaper cars are A/T which are actually more plentiful than M/T NSXs in Japan. I've seen some of those usual suspects before. I had them export my Skyline GT-R to the US and it was a bit of an ordeal, so I wouldn't do it again.

Third, you'd be buying it sight unseen. I never recommend anyone buy an NSX sight unseen. People put a bit too much weight on the auction sheet and most of these cars are not going to come with maintenance records (or at least ones you can easily read). I purchased my NSX from MAC north of Tokyo, and while it was a very nice car and came with extensive records, my Japanese wasn't good enough to figure them all out.

Also realize that you're not seeing the full price there. JDM EXPO can only export as they have no operation in the US to import, and the price on the website doesn't even reflect the export. You're looking at at least another $3K to export/import with brokerage, CBP fees, etc.

Fourth and finally, a Japanese NSX isn't dramatically different than a USDM car. Basically, it's trim colors, taillights, emblems, and the shorter 2-4 gears. Finding a US car with records you can read, a VIN with history you can check on Prime/elsewhere, and a previous owner that cared for it is a head and shoulders better buy than a nearly identical sight unseen auctioned car with the steering wheel on the right side. Caveat emptor.

There's been a RHD on eBay for two auctions in the past few weeks.
No bidders on either auction.
Personally I can't see any value in importing a RHD when there are LHD's available here.
And as usafdarkhorse said you can do a PPI/inspection domestically on a LHD.
Sure a RHD is different but it's not like importing a RHD car that was never available in the US.
And the market for a RHD NSX will likely be very small so lots of risk buying one and not being able to sell it later at a decent price.

There's been a RHD on eBay for two auctions in the past few weeks.
No bidders on either auction.
Personally I can't see any value in importing a RHD when there are LHD's available here.
And as usafdarkhorse said you can do a PPI/inspection domestically on a LHD.
Sure a RHD is different but it's not like importing a RHD car that was never available in the US.
And the market for a RHD NSX will likely be very small so lots of risk buying one and not being able to sell it later at a decent price.

Absolutely agree with all of this. I see the same trend in the MKIV Supra market. The for sale RHD Supra's available in Canada and the US don't command the prices of the LHD. Some are worried that the 25 year rule will impact the market in the USA, I just don't see the RHD's as being desirable here in the states.

I have to agree with the others. What is the point of a RHD NSX if you have LHD NSXs here at the same price without the processing and shipping fees. If you were going to import a Type S or Type R then that is understandable. However RHD NSXs are less desirable here than the normal one unless as I stated earlier it is a trim not offered in the States. If I were you I would save your money up, save yourself the headaches and just buy an Acura NSX. That being said it is your money, you worked for it(I hope) spend it how you want.

Would also point out 1991 RHD NSX's have been legally importable to Canada since 2006.
I think one or two have been imported since then.
No market for them.

hahahaha. thank you all for your comments. ive been curious and all so all of the info is clearing a lot of things up for what i want planned for myself. and yeah, saving up a lot and working a lot of overtime to snatch me my own nsx ^-^

I have seen some really low priced ones like $17k-$18k (before paper work and shipping). But I never driven a car on the right side before. People have told me if you aren't used to a RHD car it is very easy to get into an accident with. It is also a pain to get into drive troughs with lol. And unsure if they will keep their value like with the LHD Nsx.

I have seen some really low priced ones like $17k-$18k (before paper work and shipping). But I never driven a car on the right side before. People have told me if you aren't used to a RHD car it is very easy to get into an accident with. It is also a pain to get into drive troughs with lol. And unsure if they will keep their value like with the LHD Nsx.

You have to re-acclimate your mind to compensate for other half of the vehicle being on the left side of you vs the right. Making left turns in traffic can be a big pain cause the view. Passing same issue. Shifting is not an issue (at least it wasn't for me). Low priced...my question is what were the conditions of the vehicles? If you are basing your opinions off of pictures posted you are not getting an idea on the condition of the car. Has all the maintenance been done? Is it in Snap Ring range? You have no clue. $17K can quicky turn to $30K (After import, maintenance, repairs) if you don't do your research. Just to say I have a RHD vehicle doesn't offset the headaches and potential nightmare of importing a vehicle sight unseen. Again if it is not something you cannot get here in the states, why bother? It is your money you spend it how you best see fit. These are only our opinions and observations.

For that price I am assuming they are automatics in not the best shape. Driving a RHD car is not that bad at all if you are in Japan. When I drive a car in Japan, I sometimes go to the wrong side of the car, reach for the seat belt over my left shoulder, and often hit the wipers instead of turn signals. I think driving a RHD car in the US would be a bit of a pain. I've driven LHD in Japan, and paying tolls and parking machines is a hassle, but the worst is trying to overtake or make a turn across traffic. You just can't see anything.

I agree with others, unless it's a very special car like the Type R I don't think it's worth importing.

For that price I am assuming they are automatics in not the best shape. Driving a RHD car is not that bad at all if you are in Japan. When I drive a car in Japan, I sometimes go to the wrong side of the car, reach for the seat belt over my left shoulder, and often hit the wipers instead of turn signals. I think driving a RHD car in the US would be a bit of a pain. I've driven LHD in Japan, and paying tolls and parking machines is a hassle, but the worst is trying to overtake or make a turn across traffic. You just can't see anything.

I agree with others, unless it's a very special car like the Type R I don't think it's worth importing.

I always felt awkward getting in and out of the car with a RHD car. I got to drive a RHD Integra (Converted) and it was a POA. I have also driven a LHD Car in England...big pain.

You have to re-acclimate your mind to compensate for other half of the vehicle being on the left side of you vs the right. Making left turns in traffic can be a big pain cause the view. Passing same issue. Shifting is not an issue (at least it wasn't for me). Low priced...my question is what were the conditions of the vehicles? If you are basing your opinions off of pictures posted you are not getting an idea on the condition of the car. Has all the maintenance been done? Is it in Snap Ring range? You have no clue. $17K can quicky turn to $30K (After import, maintenance, repairs) if you don't do your research. Just to say I have a RHD vehicle doesn't offset the headaches and potential nightmare of importing a vehicle sight unseen. Again if it is not something you cannot get here in the states, why bother? It is your money you spend it how you best see fit. These are only our opinions and observations.

I don't think I could get use to the whole RHD. I can't shift with me left hand. It just feels weird too me. Agreed, it can become a very big headache, thats why I never brought one :p

Agreed, you never know what you are getting when you are just looking at photos online. Personally for me it wouldn't matter. I would just want the body. Would like to do a swap overtime. I'm actually looking at the car actions here in the states all the time to see if there is one that is in decent condition for a good price.

I don't think I could get use to the whole RHD. I can't shift with me left hand. It just feels weird too me. Agreed, it can become a very big headache, thats why I never brought one :p

Agreed, you never know what you are getting when you are just looking at photos online. Personally for me it wouldn't matter. I would just want the body. Would like to do a swap overtime. I'm actually looking at the car actions here in the states all the time to see if there is one that is in decent condition for a good price.
I never had problem shifting with my left hand. Not sure why. I guess mentally I know where the shift knob needs to be for each gear and my mind/body automatically figure it out.

Last edited:
I just ran across this one if OP is interested?

1990 Honda nsx jdm - $30000 (houston)

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5838754292.html

00L0L_bI3E8uvh9Ry_1200x900.jpg

01717_3Q3zRxmK8Md_1200x900.jpg

Hello NSX community . I would like to help things out a bit. I have personally imported RHD NSX from Japan, both automatic and manual transmission. The cost is high to buy a nice NSX from Japan and then add the cost of the shipping and registering. It is really frustrating reading comments on a rhd NSX from people who have never actually imported one or owned one themselves. The value and market for a rhd NSX is great. They sell for top dollar and many people are very interested. I have sold a handful to very happy buyers. Yes the rhd NSX is the same as the LHD NSX EXCEPT the looks you get and the attention you get. It's simply a choice of being one of the only to have a rhd or just another person to own a LHD. The driving experience is also very different for the obvious reason. I've been to the car meets and the attention a rhd NSX gets over the LHD NSX is not even comparable. People walk by the LHD NSX and only talk about and take pics of the rhd NSX. I love all NSX but I have to keep it real and tell the truth on the experience of owning a rhd NSX. It's amazing, it's more fun to drive, and the attention you get is worth the money. The entire experience of owning a rhd is completely different then a LHD NSX. Some people might not like the idea of a rhd but every single person you drive by absolutely loves the car simply because it's a rhd. Honda made the NSX to be a rhd and the fact the NSXR only came as a rhd explains it even better. The LHD NSX is amazing period, but now that the rhd NSX is available in the USA, the game has changed a bit. I wouldn't suggest never trying to spend the money on importing a rhd NSX yourself because you can't see the NSX in person. Just wait until someone spends the money and time to import one and buy it in person with a clean American title. I want all the NSX owners to come together and just appreciate both rhd and LHD NSX. We are all part of the same family and time has made it so now and forever the rhd NSX will be here to stay.

Honda made the NSX to be a rhd and the fact the NSXR only came as a rhd explains it even better. The LHD NSX is amazing period, but now that the rhd NSX is available in the USA, the game has changed a bit.

I think you're missing a point here.
Honda made the NSX in RHD for RHD markets like Japan, UK, Aus, NZ, HK and LHD for US, Canada, Europe etc..
The cars were all made in Tochigi for whatever market they were being shipped to.
They all have the same engine body etc, and except for RHD or LHD they are the same car.

All NSX's are real NSX's.
There is nothing special about a RHD NSX other than where the controls are placed.

Canada has allowed RHD vehicles to be imported once they are 15 years old so have been available there for many years.
Very few have been imported and the reason is simple.
Why import a RHD car when there are LHD cars available?
Other than being an oddity there is no benefit to importing a RHD NSX.
The car is no better only different.

So good luck selling the RHD you've had on eBay for some months.
I'm sure someone will want to be different and own a RHD NSX but why anyone would pay a premium over a LHD escapes me.

Hello NSX community . I would like to help things out a bit. I have personally imported RHD NSX from Japan, both automatic and manual transmission. The cost is high to buy a nice NSX from Japan and then add the cost of the shipping and registering. It is really frustrating reading comments on a rhd NSX from people who have never actually imported one or owned one themselves. The value and market for a rhd NSX is great. They sell for top dollar and many people are very interested. I have sold a handful to very happy buyers. Yes the rhd NSX is the same as the LHD NSX EXCEPT the looks you get and the attention you get. It's simply a choice of being one of the only to have a rhd or just another person to own a LHD. The driving experience is also very different for the obvious reason. I've been to the car meets and the attention a rhd NSX gets over the LHD NSX is not even comparable. People walk by the LHD NSX and only talk about and take pics of the rhd NSX. I love all NSX but I have to keep it real and tell the truth on the experience of owning a rhd NSX. It's amazing, it's more fun to drive, and the attention you get is worth the money. The entire experience of owning a rhd is completely different then a LHD NSX. Some people might not like the idea of a rhd but every single person you drive by absolutely loves the car simply because it's a rhd. Honda made the NSX to be a rhd and the fact the NSXR only came as a rhd explains it even better. The LHD NSX is amazing period, but now that the rhd NSX is available in the USA, the game has changed a bit. I wouldn't suggest never trying to spend the money on importing a rhd NSX yourself because you can't see the NSX in person. Just wait until someone spends the money and time to import one and buy it in person with a clean American title. I want all the NSX owners to come together and just appreciate both rhd and LHD NSX. We are all part of the same family and time has made it so now and forever the rhd NSX will be here to stay.
I don't blame you for trying to make a standard RHD NSX sound somehow better than the LHD equivalent since you're in the business of selling them. But come on, "it's more fun to drive" and "the attention you get it is worth the money"?? Pass that pipe and I'll sing Kumbaya with you.

HaHa self promotion for the rhd....

It seems most of the RHD NSX importers have been importing RHD Nissan Skylines etc. and are now branching into NSX's as they are now eligible.
I think the importers are all excited about RHD NSX's and have an inflated idea of what they are worth in the LHD markets.
Try as I might I just can't see why anyone would buy a RHD NSX never mind paying a premium.
However an old friend in the car business always maintained there's a seat for every saddle so who knows?

My question is with the RHD NSX now being legally imported to the US how will it affect the value and resale of the LHD NSX?

Also do you see the US market being "flooded" with RHD NSX? Obviously with the 25 yo rule I do see more and more for sale ads days these days.

On a different note, in the past I recall when they were imported in the gray market people would swap the vins out with salvage or total NSX to make them "legal".

Last edited:
My question is with the RHD NSX now being legally imported to the US how will it affect the value and resale of the LHD NSX?
Also do you see the US market being "flooded" with RHD NSX? Obviously with the 25 yo rule I do see more and more for sale ads days these days.
On a different note, in the past I recall when they were imported in the gray market people would swap the vins out with salvage or total NSX to make them "legal".

In my mind the RHD NSX would have no bearing on the value of LHD NSX's.
Canada has allowed RHD NSX's in after 15 years and there's been no "flood"

I am most interested in learning about these gray market NSX's.
When were they imported?
How many came in?
Where did you get your data from?

In my mind the RHD NSX would have no bearing on the value of LHD NSX's.
Canada has allowed RHD NSX's in after 15 years and there's been no "flood"

I am most interested in learning about these gray market NSX's.
When were they imported?
How many came in?
Where did you get your data from?

Correct, I do know RHD NSX aren't selling like hot cakes in Canada. But I would say that the US market is different than Canada. Our population is a lot larger, so naturally our demand will be greater. I guess only time will time for the RHD NSX. But I think we can all agreed that there are more and more RHD NSX popping up for sale.

I do not know the numbers. I just recall back in 2006 when I came across a RHD NSX being sold. I asked the shop could I title this car in the US? They told me its possible and VIN swapping was the most popular method. They were only asking $20kish or so, I ended up passed on it because I didn't want the headache of not being able to title it legally.

Last edited:
Correct, I do know RHD NSX aren't selling like hot cakes in Canada. But I would say that the US market is different than Canada. Our population is a lot larger, so naturally our demand will be greater. I guess only time will time for the RHD NSX. But I think we can all agreed that there are more and more RHD NSX popping up for sale.
I do not know the numbers. I just recall back in 2006 when I came across a RHD NSX being sold. I asked the shop could I title this car in the US? They told me its possible and VIN swapping was the most popular method. They were only asking $20kish or so, I ended up passed on it because I didn't want the headache of not being able to title it legally.

Of course Canada has a lesser population and less cars.
My point is RHD NSX's have been legal to import to Canada for 11 years and there is no great number imported.
More LHD NSX's were imported from the US than RHD from Japan
I think that suggests RHD NSX models are not likely to be a big volume import in the US either.

As far as your gray market comments about "they" and "them" you're really only talking about one car you heard about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back