• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Importing NSX from Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
VIN swapping? Seriously? Sounds like a recipe for disaster aka major legal trouble.

I don't see importing a standard RHD example as a worthwhile substitute for a LHD NSX, and here's why:

1. It's difficult to determine the history of a RHD car with the convoluted grading system in Japan. For the Acuras though, we can at least readily run a VIN history report (sure take with grain-of-salt) as an acceptable starting point. Also, oftentimes we have the opportunity to meet the previous owner(s) to help gauge if they cared for the car... "Shopping the seller and not the car" believe or not, goes a long ways sometimes.

2. Unless you're delivering mail, RHD is challenging to drive in a LHD country. Period.

3. The primary market for the NSX was/is the U.S. with more than half of production sold to U.S./Canada. There will be a LHD NSX to be traded, just be patient. It follows that RHD parts are more difficult to source and oftentimes, more expensive to obtain.

4. From what I've seen, a supposed "good" RHD example costs nearly the same as a (maybe higher mileage) LHD equivalent BEFORE importation. So on these less expensive RHD NSXs that you might "save" a few bucks after all's said and done, you must ask yourself why/how it was priced in the first place. Might as well open yourself up to salvage/rebuilt LHD cars if you're that desperate to save $; there are good drivers with bad titles to be had.

5. Collector value? Not unless it's ends with a Type-something, forget it.

6. "Federally-titled" does not equate to 50-state legal. Estimates upwards of 10,000 USD to solely smog-certify an imported vehicle in California, so there's that.

7. Attention. Don't get me wrong, I got no less than four thumbs-up outside different car windows on my drive down PCH this weekend in my plain Jane NSX, and it felt good but should we really care that much? Especially since for every enthusiast giving you that much more of enthusiastic gesture of recognition for your RHD NSX, you'll also be pulled-over by Highway Patrol or local PD suspecting you of potentially driving an illegal vehicle. Not worth the hassle.

I'm sure there's more I'm neglecting but some things for the would-be RHD buyers to consider.

Last edited:
Of course Canada has a lesser population and less cars.
My point is RHD NSX's have been legal to import to Canada for 11 years and there is no great number imported.
More LHD NSX's were imported from the US than RHD from Japan
I think that suggests RHD NSX models are not likely to be a big volume import in the US either.

As far as your gray market comments about "they" and "them" you're really only talking about one car you heard about?

The US market could be different; there could be more potential buyers here. I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see. But I would say that sellers importing and listing them for $50k+ doesn't seem to be working to well. Not a lot of people are bitting at that price range. I agree with a lot of the post here, for around the same price tag I would rather have a LHD.

Yes, I was just referencing too the one experience I had back in 2006.

Last edited:
I don't blame you for trying to make a standard RHD NSX sound somehow better than the LHD equivalent since you're in the business of selling them. But come on, "it's more fun to drive" and "the attention you get it is worth the money"?? Pass that pipe and I'll sing Kumbaya with you.

I was going say the same. I have driven RHD and LHD and that did not determine the fun factor. I have also seen plenty of RHD cars with their American equivalent there as well and the RHD did not get that much more attention than the LHD version. Like you and I said if it is not an edition that is not offered in the States, then why not just purchase a US/Canadian NSX and enjoy the drive. However if the OP wants a RHD so be it, it is his/her money. They earned it, and they should spend it how they best see fit. However trying to say you get cool points for having a RHD...no not really. You get cool points for owning a NSX. To the OP. Follow your dreams, if this is what you want then do your research and go after it.

Last edited:
The one and only reason I would want a right hand drive nsx is for the oem jdm fenders and the short gears. Which are both available to upgrade to, so no thank you. I will order my triple cheeseburger for my fat American ass from the left side of the vehicle please.:rolleyes:

I actually like the idea of a RHD car. But something small and fun that can't be had here like a Figaro or--even better--a Honda S660 when it can be imported.

Utterly amazing. Comparable to a first grader talking about calculus. So many comments from people whom don't own a RHD nor have ever drove a RHD or even been in a RHD. Y'all say the driving experience isn't different from a LHD vs a RHD... so I guess flipping the steering from left to right, making you shift with your other hand, and then recalculate your entire thought process in order to drive straight and normal is not a different driving experience at all. Listen to yourselves. The ENTIRE driving experience is different. It's simply more fun, more enjoyable. I, unlike 99% of the commentators, have owned both an Acura NSX and a Honda NSX. I can speak from experience instead of ignorance. The RHD Honda NSX is amazing to drive. Everywhere you go in a Honda NSX you become a trending topic. The public absolutely freaks out over the RHD Honda NSX. The experience for the public just seeing the Honda NSX is something special and something they remember for days after. When I drive the Acura NSX the public just say "nice 90's car" and keep on with their day. NOT with the Honda NSX, the public absolutely love it, they surround the Honda NSX like it's a new Bugatti, even when next to a Bugatti it steals the show. I've personally experienced this exact moment. I've been to all the car shows and coffee meet ups. Never once have I gotten flack from people, ONLY get flack from nsxprime members for some reason. I've drive both the Acura NSX and the Honda NSX on a daily basis. I live what I'm talking about. When spending money on a Acura nsx, I have to question the amount of money I'm spending, but when buying a Honda NSX I completely feel that I'm getting a screaming deal for the experience and attention I get with the Honda RHD nsx. Again I drive them both, the Honda is slightly faster, shifts a bit quicker, pulls a bit harder, then the factory fog light, factory side marker fenders, suede headliner, all authentic Honda emblems... the list goes on. The market is also just as healthy. JDM lovers die for a RHD Honda NSX. They pay premium because anybody with a few bucks can buy an Acura NSX and be just like all the other Acura NSX owners. But when they buy a Honda NSX they feel special and know everywhere they drive the public will reinforce why they bought the Honda over the Acura, by the love and attention they get constantly. Now let me address the heckler that tries to be a smart guy and compare a 5 speed, low mile, fully documented Honda NSX to a automatic, high mile, no service records and bad color combo Honda NSX. THE 2 CARS CAN NOT BE ANY MORE DIFFERENT!!! What were you thinking when making that comment?? In no way is a 5 speed comparable to an automatic in driving experience or value.. you posted a link to a cheap 30k automatic and then tried saying all Honda NSX are worth about 30k. Come on... not even close. I sell these 5 speed NSX for 50K+ and the automatic for 45k+. Again speaking from experience instead of ignorance. I have some really nice Acura NSX friends that also are nsxprime members, they love the Honda and don't talk the junk most of you are talking. We are all NSX folks at the end of the day. Appreciate the Honda NSX, and remember when you open the door on your "Acura" NSX it says Honda. We are all part of the Honda family. So thanks for all the critics and fans, you are why we keep bringing in more Honda NSX every month. We will see what y'all have to say when our NSXR show up soon, I'm sure the critics will say those are not as nice as an Acura NSX either even though Honda never made a Acura NSXR.... I'll go drive both my Acura NSX and my Honda NSX today and enjoy both them and I'll be sure to ask the public what NSX they like better and I'll get back to nsxprime and let you know. Soon y'all will make me video that actual experience of driving them both and the reactions of the public just so I can shut the critics up. Remember speak or comment with experience instead of ignorance. I'm a NSX fan and enthusiast, try doing/being the same.

when you build a wall of words you invite many climbers.....:wink:

when you build a wall of words you invite many climbers--

Yes I agree. I feel that conversation, positive or negative, is still good and needed. Conversations is conversations, and it is what this topic needs.

All I can add is one observation....I have spoken to many of our club enthusiasts who have gone to fiesta in Japan, and none of them have expressed any desire to own a rhd nsx in the US....some have driven the cars ..ect....you are marketing to a very specific clientele....

All I can add is one observation....I have spoken to many of our club enthusiasts who have gone to fiesta in Japan, and none of them have expressed any desire to own a rhd nsx in the US....some have driven the cars ..ect....you are marketing to a very specific clientele....

Those enthusiasts are all just ignorant first graders.

I am one of them. I was at fiesta 2010 and drove a RHD Type R when a Honda exec gave me the keys at Suzuka and said "tires cold" and enjoy. I brought it back with tires very hot and I did, indeed, enjoy the experience very much.

But it convinced me I would never buy a RHD even if it is a Type R.

when you build a wall of words you invite many climbers--Yes I agree. I feel that conversation, positive or negative, is still good and needed. Conversations is conversations, and it is what this topic needs.

While I have not driven a RHD NSX I've spent lots of time driving in Australia and the UK.
I see no difference in driving on either side of the road with either RHD or LHD cars.

You are discussing attention and so on derived from the RHD vehicle in a LHD market.
I can understand having a RHD vehicle in a LHD market if the RHD vehicle was never available in LHD form.
I saw many RHD japan only models in my travels there and thought some of them would be unique over here.
I have noticed a large number of AWD RHD diesel utility vans here, very popular and never available here.

In the case of the NSX which came with both I see little benefit in having a RHD here.
Maybe at cars and coffee, the teenagers/20 somethings are attracted.
Are they the ones paying $ 50K plus for a RHD?
I very much doubt it.

How many RHD NSX's have you actually sold?
How much did each one actually sell for.
If you feel Prime is critical of your offerings and comments then back up your statements with verifiable facts.
The Prime forums have seen many posters come aboard with big claims but no facts.

Hi all. My 2 cents. Being in New Zealand I have imported 4 nsxs from Japan and had mixed results and now the price there for manual examples is high and more expensive than the US equivalent. The only reason I could foresee is if you were to import a R or S model. 😊

Our OP has chosen not to provide any info on his RHD NSX sales.
I was hoping he would back up his statements with some facts so we could learn what's happening.

Lets see how the pricing is going.

91, 27,666 miles, auto. Seller originally wanted Buy it now for $80k. Highest bid was $29.k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura-...e%2Fc%2Bz0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&rmvSB=true

Now they have dropped it down to $55k Buy it now. Current highest bid is $23.1k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura-...b5fe0d01:g:wuoAAOSwHMJYMFgr&item=192031886593

Another 91, 28,000 miles, and auto. Seller originally wanted Buy it now for $42k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Relisted with Buy it now price of $39k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Acura-...775273b0:g:WxgAAOSwnbZYGka1&item=152325747632

Why do people keep posting listing of automatic Honda NSX and try to determine the value from those post? eBay is just a way to advertise, not just a place to sell. I've sold a white 90 automatic Honda NSX on eBay for $45,000. Then I sold a white Honda NSXR GT clone for almost $50,000 and used eBay to advertise and found the buyer that way. I just sold my red Honda NSX 5 speed for $52,000. Now I've got a black 5 speed Honda NSX that I will get no less then $45,000. People find these listing on eBay then try to talk crap like eBay is the final word or result when selling a Honda NSX. You look stupid when you try to compare an automatic to a 5 speed. Anyways, I've sold 4 Honda NSX in the past 40 days at the values I stated above. Then we have people from other countries commenting on the American market values of the Honda NSX. Again that is just stupid. I speak from experience instead of ignorance. All I read is people being haters. People who have never owned or sold a Honda NSX in America. Why do you comment at all. Then we have a guy asking for my personal detailed information on the sales of my Honda NSX's. Come on man, ever heard of respect for your clients personal info?? Probably not. We do GREAT business and are in business. Can I even get one smart person that has actually owned a Honda NSX, sold a Honda NSX or even imported a Honda NSX to respond??? If you know of a guy, or read something somewhere, or heard something... your opinion does not matter on this subject. Feel free to continue the ignorant responses of no actual experience with a Honda NSX in America. We sell them for top dollar and will Continue to do so. Hate and be mad if you want. We will be at the bank cashing checks and laughing at all of you who just don't get it.

imagejpeg

-
Just to shut a few of you up. Here is a response from a buyer of the 90 Honda NSX that sold for $45,000. Then the buyer drove it from Las Vegas Nevada to New York without any issues. Like I've said over and over, I speak from experience and not from ignorance. So now that you see that I'm telling the truth, please feel free to make you stupid examples and statements. Happy thanksgiving.
imagejpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back