• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

insurance for track events

I just wrote a new car insurance policy with Allstate and there seems to be some question as to whether track events are covered or not. It is pretty clear that racing is not covered, but driving schools are. I can see NASA events as gray area. Has anyone had any issues with their policy from damage relating to a track event? Has anyone looked into this before tracking their car? I am aware all policies are different, I am waiting to read the exclusions on the policy when they come in the mail, but general guidance is appreciated. Thanks-

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Justin, NASA events are covered only if u run in group 1 or 2. They will not be covered for group 3 and 4.

The reason for this is not because of timing equipment, but because they mix the group 3 and 4 with real race cars (open wheel and such). And passing everywhere is allowed. this is more of a practice for advance people, learning to pass and taking turns in wrong racing line so to speak. Imagine, I was taking turn 1 in thunderhill with the group 4 (80 - 100 mph turn) 3 cars at the same row, side by side. Scared me to death since I was driving my street car (the NSX). These are really intimidating. I would not recommend u to drive the NSX in these event if u're concern about safety of your car. It is fun if u drive other cars though.

Don't even think of running group 1 or 2. They are packed and u will end up cursing as u barely get 1 clear lap.

Andrie --

Thanks for the information. I'm not doubting you, however, I am curious how it is that you know that only group 1 and 2 is covered? Is this documented somewhere? I am curious because this always seems to be a very unclear topic, so if it was documented in black and white, I would feel comfortable. I will be running at the NASA Laguna Seca event in March.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

A friend who is a NASA instructor told me so. He saw a few incident. And from his experience, nobody in group 3 and 4 are covered. Cause the insurance company argued that you put it in unsafe environment since you are "racing" with cars that does not even registered and there are no instructors in your car for group 3 and 4.

I don't know if this is true, but someone once mentioned to me at a track event that as long as its not a race and the laps are not timed, then it is still covered under insurance. I guess when you have timed laps people tend to drive crazier.

I don't know if this is true, but someone once mentioned to me at a track event that as long as its not a race and the laps are not timed, then it is still covered under insurance. I guess when you have timed laps people tend to drive crazier.

That could be why a lot of insurance policies are written with exclusions for "competition and timed events".

Keep in mind several things:

1. The language in the insurance policy is what will be used if you can't agree with your insurance company and you wind up in court;

2. Different insurance companies may interpret the same language in different ways; and

3. You can't really be sure what will happen beforehand, and you're not likely to get any ironclad guarantees by asking beforehand.

Bottom line is, you don't really know until it happens to you. However...

4. Damage in an event that is timed or which involves competition (first place, second place, trophies, or prize money) is less likely to be covered than damage in an event which does not involve these factors and is billed as a driver education event.

5. If you're using one company to insure your cars and your house, and have been using them for a long period of time, they will be more likely to be accommodating than one you just signed up with for your car only.

6. Some companies are known to be better to their customers in settling claims than others. Ask those who have had this happen to them how their company has treated them.

I thought I would close the loop on this thread:

Allstate got back to me and said they would cover claims within normal comp. and collision coverage based on my policy as long as the event is not a race or timed. I read all the exclusions in the policy and it does not even mention racing or timing, but I guess common sense should prevail here.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 07 February 2001).]

Back