• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Interesting View on the Type R wing

I was at the out this past weekend at a BBQ. Since some friends had come in from out of town we had a gathering to catch up. One of my friends whom I haven't seen in a while is a big fan of the NSX and was ecstatic when he saw I owned one...and annoyed I never told him. We started talking about the car along with my experiences and plans for the car. I mentioned that I was considering FI but still on the fence about it and possibly ordering the rear diffuser and type r wing when he interrupted me...his exact words were "Sean, the diffuser is a great idea and I'd only do bolt on engine mods that are completely reversible if I were you so you don't f__ up the car and it's value; but man don't go put that juvenile looking rear spoiler on your car. You're 33 years old for god's sake and this is a car for the mature enthusiast".
I told him that the actual type r had this wing but he said that my car wasn't the type r 1st and foremost and unless I was spending $10K for the original price to insure good fitment (which he stated would be the biggest waste of hard earned money) that it would IHO look like crap and that the the non-type r models look way more refined. That was honestly the first time I heard anyone knock the type r...especially a fan of the NSX. Maybe living in Boston for the last 4 years screwed with his head :D

i used to love the type r wing but lately not so much anymore. i feel like ive grown out of it or as if the styling is a little dated.

if you do go for aftermarket you can always get the downforce one that is a far cry from 10grand which also has excellent fitment. the aftermarket ones that need to be fiddled with for fitment should have most of its fitment issues documented online.

if i had your car; i wouldnt go for anything less then DF since your have a beautiful newer nsx. i also agree with the engine mods being fully reversible. it's an nsx not a civic and hence re modifications you DO 100% have to think of how to NOT hurt resale in case you ever end up having to sell (you NEVER know in life).

i think the CF widebody low slung wing on bluBatmobiles NSX looks stunning.

all imho of course; as this is coming from an nsx-wannabe owner. :)

I was at the out this past weekend at a BBQ. Since some friends had come in from out of town we had a gathering to catch up. One of my friends whom I haven't seen in a while is a big fan of the NSX and was ecstatic when he saw I owned one...and annoyed I never told him. We started talking about the car along with my experiences and plans for the car. I mentioned that I was considering FI but still on the fence about it and possibly ordering the rear diffuser and type r wing when he interrupted me...his exact words were "Sean, the diffuser is a great idea and I'd only do bolt on engine mods that are completely reversible if I were you so you don't f__ up the car and it's value; but man don't go put that juvenile looking rear spoiler on your car. You're 33 years old for god's sake and this is a car for the mature enthusiast".
I told him that the actual type r had this wing but he said that my car wasn't the type r 1st and foremost and unless I was spending $10K for the original price to insure good fitment (which he stated would be the biggest waste of hard earned money) that it would IHO look like crap and that the the non-type r models look way more refined. That was honestly the first time I heard anyone knock the type r...especially a fan of the NSX. Maybe living in Boston for the last 4 years screwed with his head :D

Last edited:
I think he makes a valid point but it's your car so do whatever makes you happy. :)

Exactly.

Really, this so called NSX fan doesn't approve of the R wing? Really now? Time to call Honda HQ and give them a piece of his mind! The nerve!

I'm actually not so into the type R wing either. The back of the NSX, including the OEM spoiler, is one of the most iconic parts of the look of the car.

Butter, I think the type R wing looks good on certain NSX. I agree not all of them have same impact. The wing look good if you have other more aggressive body kits on the car. I also have mix feeling on BlueBat's wide body wing that MYW mention, if you see it in person it seems a little off. The fact is they are made for the wide body kit. BlueBat's car have tons of mods and may be thats why it doesn't look off.
BTW, love to see more pix of you car with the new wheels. And I mean good pix, not little iPhone pix. I love the clean 5 spoke rims, and that looks great on your car.

Last edited:
I personally think they look good. Stormrider maybe I am misunderstanding your meaning(probably am) but they were not made for widebody kits, the type-R wing was made for the NSX-R along with other aerodynamics. Now I won't get into if its effective or not. I think it looks good with other body mods like an updated rear.

If u want a flat butt, go oem wing. If you want a big butt, go with the type R wing.

I like big butt, and ......

...what if you want a really big but.

since you brought it up it does apply to us since we have a motor in the back of our Honda. :wink:

I do love the look the type R on more aggressive NSX. Yeah Nukem, the second part of statement I was talking about the wide body wing on BlueBat's car. I have mix feeling about that wing on a stock body.
nsxtrgaa.jpg

Last edited:
yeah thats the spoiler is suppose to have a widebody kit with it. I think its the old mugen kit.

Butter, I think the type R wing looks good on certain NSX. I agree not all of them have same impact. The wing look good if you have other more aggressive body kits on the car. I also have mix feeling on BlueBat's wide body wing that MYW mention, if you see it in person it seems a little off. The fact is they are made for the wide body kit. BlueBat's car have tons of mods and may be thats why it doesn't look off.
BTW, love to see more pix of you car with the new wheels. And I mean good pix, not little iPhone pix. I love the clean 5 spoke rims, and that looks great on your car.

Yeah don't like the fact the wing sticks out at the back on Bluebat's ride...great looking car otherwise though! Thanks for the compliment Dude! I should post some solid pics shouldn't I lol. I'll have to take a few using a proper camera and log onto Prime via PC one of these days...Tapatalk's got me lazy.

As long as they are reasonable big :D

On a serious note, an nsx with oem wing is like an Asian girl butt while an nsx with type R wing is like a Hispanic girl butt. Your choice. It's a free country!!

Ok enuf joke....have to get back to work now

I like ladies with big apple shaped butts...does that count :D

Hey does anyone know Primer's that have the DF rear diffuser without the Type R wing in their setup? Would love to have them post up a few multi-angle pics.

looks slow slung and beautiful to me :)

but i agree that it works only with a more aggressive looking overall setup (slammed, big wheels, front lip, 02+ lower valence etc etc)

im getting one (or maybe i have it already!) hehe.

I do love the look the type R on more aggressive NSX. Yeah Nukem, the second part of statement I was talking about the wide body wing on BlueBat's car. I have mix feeling about that wing on a stock body.
nsxtrgaa.jpg

Last edited:
drive over sean and ill take a few nice ones in no more then 5 mins !

Yeah don't like the fact the wing sticks out at the back on Bluebat's ride...great looking car otherwise though! Thanks for the compliment Dude! I should post some solid pics shouldn't I lol. I'll have to take a few using a proper camera and log onto Prime via PC one of these days...Tapatalk's got me lazy.

Back