• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Interior cleaning and conditioning advice?

Hi, everyone.
I am preparing to do an interior detail on my NSX this weekend, and I am getting all the products in preparation. I have read and searched this message board and others, and I still have a few questions, if you don't mind.
I know that there are two steps to interior detailing:
1. Clean
2. Condition
For step 1, I have decided to purchase Lexol pH cleaner for the leather, but I would like your advice on what to use to clean the vinyl. Also, what about the plastic parts (ex. console, door handles)?
For step 2, I ordered Zymol Vinyl for the vinyl and Zymol Treat for the leather.
As far as carpet, what product would you recommend(I don't have a steam cleaner)?
Sorry for the questions, but I usually get my interior/exterior detailing done professionally.
Thanks in advance! -Thomas

------------------
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl/Black NSX
5-Speed

How dirty is the vynl? If you don't have any major problems usually just a damp towel will do the trick. Though meguiars does make some good interior cleaning products that can be found localy. As for protecting... two rules...

1) stay away from armorall... more harm than good

2) use 303. 303 aerospace protectant is the best product i've seen for interior surfaces (and tires). It restores that natural OEM feeling to the inside. It won't be super shiny like armorall.. just nice and new looking. best of all it offers equilivant to spf 40 protection. If you have a high dollar car and want to keep its value then it's critical you keep it protected from the sun. 303 aerospace protectant is like sunscreen for your car. Availible at www.properautocare.com

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

Are you saying that 303 is best for Leather seat conditioning? I'm about to do my seats and they've never been cleaned or conditioned (but it's just now needing it). I'm a "make it look new" fanatic. Not the artificial shiny glossy crap. What's the best way to make it look like a new car. I did a test spot with Lexol and honestly - it looks artificial and "does" feel tacky - or I did something wrong.

Thanks.

I would not use 303 for leather seat conditioning. I would only use a product designed for leather.

There are a lot of leather care products on the market. I happen to like Zymol Treat, which contains collagens, the same natural fats that occur in natural leather to give it that supple feel. It smells great, too, thanks to the banana oil in it. But there are plenty of other leather conditioners on the market as well. If you go to a high-end luggage shop in your area, you will find some quality leather care products there that will work equally well on automotive leather.

The 303 isn't for leather surfaces. For that there are 3 products i like to use. If they really have to be restored, leatherique is the way to go. Just check out the pics at http://www.picturetrail.com/gmblack3/707161 of before and after. If you follow the directions you'll get the same results. If the leather isn't really neglected just a little dirty or what not then the lexol is good stuff, but a lot of people complain about the smell. If the leather is already in good condition but you just want to upkeep it then the pinnacle product is the way to go. It cleans and conditions well, as well as leaves a very nice smell.

The Zaino leather treatment is good... but i think it smells a little cheap... plus it doesn't do as good of a job restoring as the other products. Its more of a product like the Pinaccle, but doesn't leave behind such a nice leather smell.

------------------

Here are some hints for interior detailing. BTW I like the Zymol Treat and Vinyl products mentioned above, they are the best in my experience.

-get a 1" round brush at an auto parts store. then brush out the vents, radio controls etc. while holding a vacuum nearby to suck up the dust
-spread the leather pleats on the seats before vacuuming
-don't forget the headliner, lots of smells can hide up there. wash with soapy water, condition with Vinyl.
-for carpet cleaning use a spray foam product with built in agitator. for floor mats, remove from car, clean grease etc. with Simple Green, shampoo entire mat, rinse thoroughly, dry in sun or use a wet vac.
-for complete interior cleaning nothing beats removing the seats. this helps access everywhere, especially vacuuming the carpet and conditioning the rear vinyl bulkhead. good luck!

I just gotta chime in. ZAINO.. leather in a bottle. It should be called "leather FETISH in a bottle"
smile.gif
I don't know if it works worth a damn, but it sure smells like leather. From new my car had no leather smell. The Zaino sure put the smell into it. Now it reminds me of a Mercedes 300 6.3 I had with full leather interior. I happen to like the smell.. and Zaino. If you want the smell of leather.. try it. YMMV.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

I'm getting more stupid the more information I get. Where is the Pinnacle product you mention - I didn't see it in the previous posts. Here's MY situation. My car is a garaged 1995 and only 9,000 miles. Leather NEVER cleaned - BUT - it still looks brand new WITH EXCEPTION for a little bolster wear and the drivers side feels noticably harder than the soft passengers (about 30% harder). The color seems a little light too, and because there is the slightest abrasion mark on the bolster, I took just a little bit of Lexol and "tapped" it on that spot and a little of the surrounding area. I noticed the leather darkened a bit - but despite the claim of the product it felt tacky. I didn't "buff" it out - so maybe thats what I did wrong. Here's my concern as I prepare to do my interior - I just want the thing to look brand OEM new - not wet look, not smell like anything - just brand new. With all that being said - SOMEONE please help me - and if you're in the Tampa area of Florida, I'd be happy to travel to someone who is experience to help me asses my situation and talk shop.

Thanks.

Let's not forget that those surfaces that are actually leather are coated. The coating keeps the cowhide smell in and your fancy leather conditioner out. Unless you do it for the fragrance, it's probably a waste. Or does the coating eventually wear off?

"collagens, the same natural fats that occur in natural leather to give it that supple feel"....
Although leather IS comprised of collagen, collagen is PROTEIN, not fat. It is the main composition of connective tissue, which untreated is hardly supple. Incidentally collagen is a chief component of fingernails. By treating the leather with lipids, eg. "fats" or oils a leather can be made more supple.

For the cleaner: http://www.properautocare.com/pin-250.html

and the conditioner: http://www.properautocare.com/pin-340.html

If you leather still has a good layer of clearcoat left (you can tell by putting a drop of water on it to see how well it absorbs) try some of this to protect it (also a good idea if it doesn't have much left)
http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html

If you guys think Z10 has a good leather smell should should try the pinnacle... after using that the zaino smells really cheap to me

------------------

Originally posted by brickdds:
Although leather IS comprised of collagen, collagen is PROTEIN, not fat. It is the main composition of connective tissue, which untreated is hardly supple. Incidentally collagen is a chief component of fingernails. By treating the leather with lipids, eg. "fats" or oils a leather can be made more supple.

Thanks for the clarification.

Here's more information about Zymol Treat, from their website:

"Sunlight, heat and everyday use will permanently damage the delicate finish of your leather upholstery. The denaturing process of leather tanning removes precious moisture residing in the hide. Introducing solvent-based conditioners accelerates aging in leather upholstery and trim. zymöl Treat Leather Conditioner is a solvent-free, banana-oil and collagen-based feeding product that releases trapped solvents and restores moisture to keep your leather looking, feeling, and smelling like new.

Contains Beef Collagen, Banana Oil, Lemon Seed Oil,Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide, Lecithin and Aloe Vera Extract."

Try it. It's great stuff.

Here's the link for the Zaino products. These do a great job putting some leather "smell" back into your NSX.

Leather Soft Spray Cleaner

Z-9 'LEATHER SOFT' SPRAY CLEANER

An alkaline-free, special blend of emulsifiers, mink oil and synthetic lanolin to safely clean all fine leather surfaces. It removes soil and stains without harming the natural oils in leather. Will not cause leather to crack, shrink or dry out. Z-9 will restore leather surfaces to like new condition. Perfect for all leather products. Excellent for vinyl too. After cleaning, Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ Treatment and Conditioner is recommended to keep the leather supple, soft, protected and enhance the leather scent.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor33667

Leather-in-a-Bottle Treatment and Conditioner

Z-10 "LEATHER IN A BOTTLE" TREATMENT AND CONDITIONER

Two years in the making and already rated number one in the industry. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ Treatment and Conditioner contains a perfectly balanced, solvent-free blend of special oils and other natural nutritives, which penetrates, softens and preserves the leather. We also added Ultra-Gard™ our total UV protector (40) and our exclusive real leather oil concentrate. This feeds and enhances the leather scent, to give your vehicle that great new leather smell. Just wipe on and let dry, no buffing is necessary. It leaves a non-oily, non-greasy, non-sticky, stain repelling, natural luster and restores the warm supple, soft feel, and smell of fine leather. Does a great job on vinyl interiors and dashboards too. One whiff and you will agree its Leather in a Bottle™. This product has no equal in the world.

http://www.zainobros.com/files/info.htm#anchor36066

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 07 June 2002).]

Back