• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

iPhone Applications for Travelling Japan

I recall Ponyboy posting a message or two about some of the iPhone apps he downloaded to get ready for our trip to Japan.

I was wondering what apps everyone was using on their iPhones?

So far, my go-to translation app will be Jibbigo.
For navigation, I have Tokyo Japan Subway Map and Tokyo Metro.

What are some other useful ones?

Thanks!

--Conrad

(Please don't make this into an iPhone vs Android vs BB vs etc thread.)

Talking Japanese Phrasebook, Ver. 1.4

Shop Savvy Barcode Scanner

Japanese Table Manners, Ver. 1.2

For navigation, I have Tokyo Japan Subway Map and Tokyo Metro.

Dope. I have the same navi apps!

EDIT: don't forget to get the correct plug adaptor for your electonics. I'm just going to buy the "Apple World Travel Kit."

Last edited:

EDIT: don't forget to get the correct plug adaptor for your electonics. I'm just going to buy the "Apple World Travel Kit."

Does iTunes work over there?

For those with an iPhone, one cannot just purchase a global SIM card at Narita and go on DoCoMo or the like. The iPhone must be unlocked. Just pay the piper and grab an ATT adder on to your plan @ approx. $1.69/min. :frown:

Those luckier one's with Nokia or similar phones can get a prepaid card at the airport and move on. :smile:

I have a 3gs and works just fine on softbank and docomo group networks. Ofcourse paying like crazy when i actually use the phone to call someone. I purchased a data and text plan through att over the phone. I use the skype app to call people when im on wifi.

Nice! I thought the plugs are the same in Japan as they here in the US?! I'll bring an adapter just in case.

My iPhone is unlocked but I've decided against buying a roaming SIM card. At ~$40 just for the price of admission (with $10 in credits), I doubt I'll be spending that much in roaming charges. I plan on being on airplane mode the majority of the time... and only utilizing WiFi for data.

--Conrad

I just got back from a trip to Tokyo so hopefully you can learn from my mistake. From what I understand you cannot buy a pre-paid SIM if you are visiting the country, you can however rent phones at Narita.

I got the Japanese phrasebook app from lonely planet but I didn't have to use it, with a little planning and some pointing you can stumble through pretty much anything. The plugs are similar so if your device does not have a ground prong it will probably work. I ended up using my travel adapter just because I needed something to eliminate the ground prong. Have fun and good luck!

Edit: forgot to mention... Make sure your iphone apps don't need data connectivity. If they do (most of the translation and navi apps) it will be VERY expensive if you don't buy and international data plan. Also, the international data plan is only 50MB so use it carefully.

Last edited:
Good stuff MrTwo! You are correct. As foreigners, we can't buy pre-paid SIM cards while in Japan (it's a safety law there).

Thanks for clarifying the adapter situation.

And thanks for the reminder of data connectivity. I have three other translator apps that require data connection to Google. Jibbigo is kept local on the phone so I'm good with that. I think my other navi apps are all maps stored locally on the phone as well. (It worked fine in airplane mode.)

I can't wait!

--Conrad

Good stuff MrTwo! You are correct. As foreigners, we can't buy pre-paid SIM cards while in Japan (it's a safety law there).

Thanks for clarifying the adapter situation.

And thanks for the reminder of data connectivity. I have three other translator apps that require data connection to Google. Jibbigo is kept local on the phone so I'm good with that. I think my other navi apps are all maps stored locally on the phone as well. (It worked fine in airplane mode.)

I can't wait!

--Conrad

Sounds like you should be good to go! I'm jealous you guys are going, I went on business and didn't have to time to do anything Honda or NSX related. If you run into any questions PM me and I would be glad to help out if I can. Traveling there last minute by yourself helps you learn the ropes :)

Nice! I thought the plugs are the same in Japan as they here in the US?! I'll bring an adapter just in case.

My iPhone is unlocked but I've decided against buying a roaming SIM card. At ~$40 just for the price of admission (with $10 in credits), I doubt I'll be spending that much in roaming charges. I plan on being on airplane mode the majority of the time... and only utilizing WiFi for data.

--Conrad

Correct. Plugs are the same in N.America, C.America and Japan. You can use one of those cheap little grey adapters that we use here on power tools sometimes. That will eliminate the ground terminal and make it a 2-prong. The voltage in Japan is 100v. Here is a handy description chart:

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#voltage_table

Thanks for the clarification on SIM purchases there MrTwo. It has been eight years now.:smile:

They are...I found that out after I bought. Sometimes, I'm just a bad buyer.

Indeed, I'll be spending some time on the plane making sure all of apps and email don't do anything automatically. I bought the 50MB intl. data plan and I'm fairly sure that'll be enough for the 8 days that we're there.

Last edited:
Less than 20 hours left before I jet off to Japan!

Here are some iPhone Travel tips from AT&T.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

Keep in mind, if you get a call while roaming, you will be charged for the call TO your phone, and BACK TO YOUR VOICEMAIL (if you decline or miss the call)! Something to keep in mind! That's why I plan on keeping my phone in airplane mode.

See you guys soon!

--Conrad

Good reminders. Thanks. :smile:

Less than 20 hours left before I jet off to Japan!

Here are some iPhone Travel tips from AT&T.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp

Keep in mind, if you get a call while roaming, you will be charged for the call TO your phone, and BACK TO YOUR VOICEMAIL (if you decline or miss the call)! Something to keep in mind! That's why I plan on keeping my phone in airplane mode.

See you guys soon!

--Conrad

Back