• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it advisable to spray clear coat over chipped paint?

Someone did a hit & run on my NSX, denting the left front fender just above the wheel. That is the only panel that is damaged. I’ve had three body shops check it out, and they all say that since they’ll need to overspray onto the hood to blend the paint, they’ll have to re-clear-coat the entire hood, because if they partially clear-coat it, the clear coat will peel. Makes sense.

My problem is, my car has 130,000 miles on it and has dozens of tiny paint chips on the hood. The body shops also recommend sanding and filling the paint chips and repainting the entire hood before clear-coating, because clear coat exaggerates paint chips and would look awful. This will cost me about $500 more. Does anybody have experience or opinions as to whether this is worth it?

--Bob

Clearcoat is not meant to adhere to bare metal, it lacks the chemicals required to "etch" into the metal and form proper adhesion. Plus it will just look horrible. The body shop might entertain the option of using a chemical blender to "melt" the clearcoat on the edge of the hood into the OEM/Existing finish. This would be preferred over clearing the entire panel with rock chips on it. Or you could roll the dice and let them panel paint the fender, depending on the color it might not turn out too bad. Panel painting will, however, be the most visible repair. Even with a good paint match there will be some variance.

My personal recommendation would be to spend the extra money to have the chips repaired and the color blended into the hood. It will be the better looking and "correct" repair and I think after it is done you will be happier with this than any of the other options.

Pay the extra to do the proper repair, like the shops told you and Flatblackcaddy said " melting the blend is a shortcut that in time, shorter then longer will rear it's head and you'll see the entire blend line. This will cause you to have to repaint the hood and blend into the fenders for color then clear your fenders. More money later then now, imo pay it now do it right and you'll be happier in the long run.

If you're not going to do it right, why bother fixing it at all?

Back