• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Is the "acura" sign on the tail light just a sticker?

Once you pry apart the lense you can easily peel off the ACURA letters. They are self-adhesive. They are NOT painted on. I have removed mine so I can speak from experience.

Originally posted by rquintero:
So what are the chances for the average guy of braking the lens during the separating process?

Ralph, if you or I try it: 100% chance of breakage and that's why I haven't attempted it yet. Hey, maybe I can bring home some scalpels to help break the seal, but I don't think I can suture it closed.

There are three tricks I know:

1 - 'Shuck it' like an oyster
2 - Lots and lots of heat. CHeese cloth in the pan helps, so it doesn't float to the bottom
3 - Try to minimize 'twisting' of the plastic... it's hard to break the thing, but if you pull at just one corner, it will 'bend' the plastic, putting small hairline cracks in it.

Oh, and go slow.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Actually read the info on the link from Chris, walked up to the NSX with my tools today, pulled the carpet off the trunk, but then decided against it.

Todd, a group effort may work here. I actually prefer mine clear. Lets setup a sunday to do it. It may help if you get your shop to give us a price for spares though.

I'll bring the beer, but you go first
wink.gif

guys, it really wasnt that tough. just take chris' advice and be patient. the directions were very good, although I remember letting the lens soak for longer than recommened.

final result: no breaks or cracks, and it looks great.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

here is a picture of the finished product. pardon the dirty car, weather out here has been bad.

View

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

Ahh Justin, thanks for the pic, that is just how I want mine to look.

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I think I'm ready to tackle this next weekend.

Chris, excuse the ignorance, but exactly what type of silicone should I go buy to reseal the thing? Is that a standard pep-boys item?

Todd, wanna join me? (you still get to go first)
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 25 February 2001).]

Ralph, I'm in...... And your question is exactly my question, what to use to reseal? I have a few projects lined up... most include my dremel tool and some jewelers rouge.. I'll be buffing my ass off; if it's aluminum, it'll shine!
smile.gif
I was going to put the NSX in the lens, but now I'm second guessing because I have a custom plate frame that also says NSX..... would it be too repetitive? Anyone have any ideas for something different? I can have anything made.....hmmmm? Words? Symbols?

------------------
Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

You could take my approach - I just bought an extra center piece from someone for about $70, that way if I screw it up - no big loss. I'm essentially technically retarded, so if I don't break it, then you guys probably wouldn't either.

I just pulled apart my center section last weekend. Took about 10 minutes or less, almost no prying, just pulling apart w/ my fingers. I used a heat gun instead of the boiling method, and to get the old glue off of the pieces I used 3m adhesive remover. Works great, cept that the adhesive remover also removes the silver paint behind the orange piece. minor inconvenience tho. For the sealant, I'm going to use clear silicon sealant/adhesive from home depot. I'm going to put a Honda 'H' sticker in there, but I can't find one...anyone know where one is? I've already combed the local rice shops....

Hey Todd,

I would like the Acura "A" symbol on mine rather than the word. Can you do that. I probably will never get a Sun. off though to hook up with you guys. Remember I am off only on Thur. and Fri. so let me know.

Kevin

'91 blk/blk

I just finished separating the pieces five minutes ago. I used the boiling method, and a butter knife to pry the lens apart (inserted length-wise down the crease). I'm technologically retarded, yet I managed to do it - only damage was a small chip out of the base of the lens as a result of my first attempt at plying using a flat head screwdriver. Overall though, It wasn't as hard to do as some have made it seem!

Back