• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JH4NA21682T000037 - Any Help?

I am a new member and would greatly appreciate some assistance. I have been visiting NSXPrime for around a year before registering today in conjunction with a planned purchase - now I can be "Somebody"!

I was about to buy this NSX that I "won" on eBay yesterday (Item No. 130189253874). I obtained a very clean AutoCheck report and decided I would also do a search on this site on the VIN. I found some threads that reference this VIN and indicate it has been wrecked and is a salvage car. However, in addition to the AutoCheck discrepancy, there are inconsistencies in the information I have found on the thread which make me question the accuracy of the negative information.

The most detailed thread included a link to a car that has some differences from this one: http://www.nsxtraderonline.com/nsx-for-sale/listings/l0033.html - The car described in the link is Blk/Tan vs. Blk/Blk. Also, the car described had 2700 mileage (with the NSXPrime thread entry including the link dated 1/10/2005). The AutoCheck disclosed the car having 2201 on 11/14/2005 and 2322 on 1/9/2007.

I have to travel 260 miles to see and/or pickup the car. I don't want to make a mistake or waste a day if this is a scam. I appreciate whatever can be done to help me.

UPDATE - Using information from the NSXPrime thread, I contacted Goodson Acura (Dallas) which originally sold the vehicle. While the sale is the last record of their involvement, they did confirm that the warranty was cancelled effective 1/10/05 and advised that this would indicate it was in fact salvaged.

Thanks,
Kent Stuckey

Last edited:
Saw this in the report....

"10/26/2004 1770 Shopper Owner representted that the car had been in a accident and had the driver's door and quarter panel replaced

i guess u should of do more research before purchase. i dont know i guess i just hate deadbeats that bid on my stuff and never paids for them and i have to relist and that cost me $. but the seller should disclose the accident to the buyer. so i guess its not your fault.

I should do more research?!

What - to discover misrepresentation by a seller that posts clean title on a salvage vehicle with a title "washed" through Florida? Discovery of nonpublic undisclosed material information is not "deadbeat" activity. It took a full day to identify the misrepresentations, which cannot be expected before placing an auction bid. A buyer has every right to rely on a seller's representations and to "trust yet verify"...

Any similar "relisting" of such a car without disclosure of salvage title is outright fraud, not a burden on the seller (even if they were themselves a victim or fraud in their purchase of the car).

While I don't think you are, I sincerely question how anyone could side with the seller under these circumstances...

I don't think anyone is siding with the seller. You are putting the cart before the horse- ie , 1) bidding/buying a car on ebay, 2) then doing research on the car. It's supposed to be the other way around and that is now being pointed out to you.

And I would never buy a car sight unseen. Given the number of scams & BS on ebay, I would only use it to find the car, not to actually purchase without a hands on inspection. Who knows if the seller knew about the past or not? Regardless of what the seller does or doesn't know, or knows but chooses to hide, you still need to do your research for situations just like this.

If you find a car you like, search for the VIN on prime, do your carfax/autocheck, and then go look if it seems good. Keep in mind a clean report only means that there aren't any reported claims/damage. In other words, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Also, if the car is far away from you, you can post a request for a local Primer to go look at the car 1st to save you time & expense before going to look yourself.

Saddly you cannot trust Car-fax and other checks like it. My girlfriend has a 98 Prelude that has a salvage title and every vin check we have done says that it is clean with no accidents. It had pretty much every body panel replaced, including the roof. It is a good thing that Prime members keep info on cars on here so that none of the other members get ripped. Part of why I consider this site my first stop when I look at buying an NSX.

Thank you again for your assistance! I am not buying this car. I did not appreciate that titles could be "washed" in Florida?!?! To be able to hide salvage status seems outrageous to me...

Glad you disconnected that deal. :wink:

I don't think anyone is siding with the seller. You are putting the cart before the horse- ie , 1) bidding/buying a car on ebay, 2) then doing research on the car. It's supposed to be the other way around and that is now being pointed out to you.

And I would never buy a car sight unseen. Given the number of scams & BS on ebay, I would only use it to find the car, not to actually purchase without a hands on inspection. Who knows if the seller knew about the past or not? Regardless of what the seller does or doesn't know, or knows but chooses to hide, you still need to do your research for situations just like this.

If you find a car you like, search for the VIN on prime, do your carfax/autocheck, and then go look if it seems good. Keep in mind a clean report only means that there aren't any reported claims/damage. In other words, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Also, if the car is far away from you, you can post a request for a local Primer to go look at the car 1st to save you time & expense before going to look yourself.

Thanks for your perspective. I do think eBay can work out fine where all material information is disclosed. Where it is not, undisclosed material information is a legal basis for voiding a contract.

Interestingly, I had this position before having three nsx's bought out from under me while I was arranging for someone to go look at the car.

After getting tired of being scooped(including by a prime member) I chenged my mind and decided to offer to buy after doing a quick VIN search on google(which looks like it searches NSX prime as well). I finally bought one on ebay(havent picked it up yet, so maybe it is a scam) sight unseen. However, when I put the bid in and talked to the seller, i put in writing that the offer to buy was conditional upon: clean car fax; information provided was accurate(I had asked the seller some important questions, ever been repainted, salvage in any state, etc), 3rd party viewing of the car, 3rd party inspection. The seller, confident that all was good, sold me the car. I then spent one week getting a prime member to check the car out and having it inspected. I had a lien check done, verified the bank account the seller gave me was in good standing and matched the sellers name. I googled the VIN and interestingly saw the list price when the previous owner bought the car. The mileage from the previous sale matched the car fax report. I also confirmed with the state government that the buyer held the title. The inspection person also managed to talk to the owner prior to the seller (not sure how he managed to get that info). I am picking up the car in two weeks, so it could still be a scam, but I think doing an exhaustive search is fine after you buy it on ebay, but before you deliver all of the money. Any seller who is selling a legitimate NSX I think would understand you are buying it sight unseen and will require some time to check it out.

One other thing to note. You can call each state the car was in and they will tell you if it has ever had salvage title.

Last edited:
If I'm correct i think that was the same one i was looking at in N.Y. Also listed on erz car now alltypeauto (link attached). It doesn't show up under carfax but i checked and it had damage done to the door the owner told me that. If its the black 2002 with Aftermarket Antera wheels (see website under acura).

http://www.alltypeauto.com/

Back