• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just want MP3 capability with factory radio

I just bought an unmodified '91 with only 22,000 miles on it and want to keep the factory appearance. The car does not have a CD changer and I need more than just the Bose AM/FM radio (or obviously the cassette player.) I've read many of the threads on all the different sound and nav. systems being used, but none of these will keep the original look I want to keep. I'd be happy with just the CD changer, but would like MP3 capability. Some questions if someone can help me:
- I've found several of the Acura CD changers available. If the car did not have the CD option from the factory, did they run the wiring to the trunk anyway and use the same radio unit so a CD changer can be controlled if I installed one?
- What's the easiest way to play MP3 files thru the radio? I don't want to stick my phone or have any kind of player sitting in a holder on my dash or console somewhere.
Thanks for any info and ideas!

2004 and 2005 cars came with MP3 compatable CD changers. I have a 2004, if you'd like we can meet so we can temporarly connect my cd changer to your car to see if it works. I don't want to sell my CD changer but once you know it works you can then look for a used one.

Another option is to buy a ~$70-90 ipod adapter and connect it to your factory radio insted of the CD Changer, even if your car is not pre wired it will still have the plug for it in the back of your factory radio.

Last edited:
I have a used gromaudio adapter for sale if u are interested. Its the first gen adapter. Plug into your cd changer port on the back of the headunit. Works perfect.

I just finished installing my 1st Gen grom audio as hapa88 did through the back of radio unit. Worked like a charm. Still works with iphone 4, but doesnt charge because its intended or 3rd gen Ipod. You'll be surprised by the sound.P

Thanks to everyone for their help! I guess it makes sense to just go with the MP3 option since it is more complicated to install both a CD player along with an MP3. The Grom unit installed behind the driver seat seems the best and easiest option. I'm hoping the wiring is there even if my car didn't come with the factory CD changer? I'm guessing the radio unit is the same regardless if the CD changer was ordered or not.
Again, much thanks!

Back