• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lowes Motor Speedway 3/5 - 3/6

There is a NASA event in Charlotte, running the road course at Lowes Motor Speedway which includes 3/4 of the banked oval. Dates are March 5 & 6. NASA is combining 2 regions - SouthEast and Mid Atlantic.

You can sign up now, it's $325 for both days. They run a lot of club races and mix in HPDE. For this event they are accepting only experienced solo HPDE drivers - no instruction so no novices.

They do have run groups (unlike Chin Motorsports), but they allow passing everywhere on the track with pointbys - including turns. There will be about 3 hours total track time for HPDE drivers in this event. I'm going, because I would like to try out that track. Those high-banked turns at a super speedway are awesome. And it's fun to watch all the private racers.

Here's a link: NASA Lowes event

Jeff

I know Jim Pantas, the NASA-SE director. It looks like this fell through for lack of attendance. The Lowe's track is VERY expensive. So, in order to maximize track revenue, there was no novice category for registration, which means that there would be no non-revenue instructor enrollment (free track time). In other words, everybody would have to pay track fees. Looks like this worked against them... the typical business model for track events now is that the experienced drivers that are instructor qualified aren't willing to pay for track time, they'll just go to a different event as an instructor where they can drive for free. So, the lack of novice enrollment, which is what really funds most track events, killed the Lowe's event. Also, Lowe's doesn't have much history with the hobby track time crowd; so, it doesn't have a compelling reputation like Road Atlanta or VIR...

Back