• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

maintenace check

I have just recently purchased my 1996 NSX-T with 19,000 miles on it. Majority of my readings on NSX prime suggest I need a new timing belt and I agree, However my problem is The nearest nsx dealer is over 200 miles away and they do not see alot of NSX,s. They have quoted me
"SORRY IT HAS TAKEN A BIT TO GET THIS TO YOU.
TIMING BELT, SEALS, AND VALVE ADJUST $2630.09 + TAX ( ALL PARTS AND LABOR ). THE BRAKE FLUID FLUSH WOULD RUN $104.50 AND THE CLUTCH FLUID FLUSH WOULD RUN $114.50. I KNOW YOU HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 5-15."
I also asked for a water pump replacement quote ,however they must have felt it was not necessary. Is this a fair price? or should I drive another 1300 miles to Neillo Acura? Thanks

Service records show oil changes every year with only 4,000 miles put on it in the last 4 years. Minor services in 99 and 02 by Acura dealership. The car runs great with no issues except I want to do preventative maintenance. Appreciate the assistance

I have just recently purchased my 1996 NSX-T with 19,000 miles on it. Majority of my readings on NSX prime suggest I need a new timing belt and I agree, However my problem is The nearest nsx dealer is over 200 miles away and they do not see alot of NSX,s. They have quoted me
"SORRY IT HAS TAKEN A BIT TO GET THIS TO YOU.
TIMING BELT, SEALS, AND VALVE ADJUST $2630.09 + TAX ( ALL PARTS AND LABOR ). THE BRAKE FLUID FLUSH WOULD RUN $104.50 AND THE CLUTCH FLUID FLUSH WOULD RUN $114.50. I KNOW YOU HAVE MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR 5-15."
I also asked for a water pump replacement quote ,however they must have felt it was not necessary. Is this a fair price? or should I drive another 1300 miles to Neillo Acura? Thanks

I wouldn't even drive the 200 miles to your closest dealer!!! Can you flatbed it?

I can't say on price but that seems maybe a bit high? Make sure they do the water pump as well. You need it, regardless of miles.

I would try to speak to other Montana nsx owners(if there are any) to see where they take their car.BTW an independent shop can do a good job just depends on whether they have nsx experience.Of course I realize Montana is chock full of emptyness.

It's difficult to say whether that quote is good or not. Maintenance is normally broken down differently, into (a) replacing the timing belt and water pump, which is typically $1400-1700, and (b) the 30K/60K/etc service, which includes replacing the fluids (oil, brake fluid, transmission fluid - coolant is replaced with the water pump above) and filters (oil, fuel, air) and the valve adjustment, all of which is typically $900-1400.

If they are not including the water pump replacement when replacing the timing belt, it typically adds $200-300 for the water pump itself and not much to the labor. I also recommend replacing all 23 of the cooling system hoses, or if you prefer, I would at least do just the large ones at a minimum. This will add to the estimate, of course.

What would I do if I lived where you do? I don't know. I wouldn't base my decision on the cost of maintenance there, since driving thousands of miles to and from Denver, Portland, or Sacramento is expensive, too, with gas costing four bucks a gallon. The extent of a shop's NSX experience is generally not as critical to routine maintenance like this, so I'd probably just have it done at the dealer in Montana. If you have a really good independent mechanic in your home town, I'd even trust him to do all of this. If you don't already have one, you might want to buy him a service manual for your car (you can do so here).

Good luck.

Great advice, I wll inquire if we have any capable mechanics in the area. I on ly know of one ferrari (308 GTB) in the state and only two other NSX's. No Acura dealership's in Montana however we do have Honda. We are not at the end of the earth here but I can see it.

What about the Valve adjustment at 19,000? I read on a post somewhere that they changed the requirement for a valve adjustment form 15,000 to 30,000. So do they have to pull the motor to do a valve adjustment? or is just a good idea to have the valves adjusted at 19,000 miles regardless?

Again thank you for the advice, much appreciated

We are not at the end of the earth here but I can see it.
:smile:

What about the Valve adjustment at 19,000?
I would do it.

I read on a post somewhere that they changed the requirement for a valve adjustment form 15,000 to 30,000.
I believe they extended the interval with the '97, so the 15K interval still applies with the '96. I would do it. I believe my valves have been slightly off when doing it every 15K.

So do they have to pull the motor to do a valve adjustment? or is just a good idea to have the valves adjusted at 19,000 miles regardless?
No, they don't have to pull the motor. Yes, I think it's a good idea.

Back