• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Messing with a scammer

I replied to a Craigslist add for a B&O Beosound 9000.

Me(M):
Hello,I am interested in your CD player.
I would like to take a look at it.

Scammer(S):
Hi,

Thanks for being interested in buying my Bang Olufsen Beosound 9000 CD Player !
I will start my email by telling you that I'm currently out of country so pick up isn't an option. Right now I'm in Italy, just arrived here 3 days ago.
Before I left I found a buyer and I had everything arranged. I paid for the shipping and almost sent it to him. But yesterday the buyer that I had asked me to wait another 4 weeks because he suddenly had other priorities and he is out of money for the moment.
I can't wait this long as I arrive in Italy 3 days ago, and i really need the money, I am in the moving process, changing the work place and everything. A major issue is that if you want to buy my item you really need to have the money ready for it.
The item is as described, in perfect condition and if you accept the deal, it will be delivered at your home address (the item remained in the custody of UPS, only waiting for a new receiver).
Total price, with shipping included, will be $500 and the transaction will be made only through eBay because i am not in the country anymore and this way it's safer for both (the transaction will be handled by the eBay Buyer Protection Program).
This purchase protection guarantees that the item is exactly as I described; basically, once delivered, you'll have 10 working days to inspect it at your home and if you decide not to keep it you will get refunded in no time and they will charge me with the return costs. If the item meets your expectations and you want to keep it you will have to tell them to release the payment to me. If you are interested in this purchase please reply me with your full name and shipping address. After that i will pass your details to eBay and you will receive an invoice and further instructions as how you will be able to get possession of the item .

Warmest regards

M:
Hello Thelma,Everything sounds really good except the price. Is there any way you can do it for $495? Let me know as soon as possible.

S:
That was funny! Ha ha ha!

M:
I don't understand why you are laughing. I am trying to get the best deal possible.

S:
$495? Why not 480 or 450? Only 5 dollars? What's the catch?

M:
I was just trying to be realistic. The Beosound 9000 goes for about $1000 on Ebay so I didn't want to insult you. If you want to let it go for $450, then great!I have the funds ready so let me know.

S:
Ok. I will start the transaction in the morning. Just send me your details as requested. Have a nice evening!
Warmest regards

M:
Can I just pay through Paypal?

S:
eBay will recommend you another payment method as i don't use PayPal.
Warmest regards

M:
That's fine. I'll wait for your instructions

S:
Your details?

M:
Nick Lee1600 Pennsylvani Ave NW
Washington, DC 20006

S:
Hi there ,
I already opened a case with eBay regarding our transaction . I already received the notice , so you have to receive it also.
Please confirm that you received the invoice and also that you will make the payment today,so I can start delivery tomorrow.
I`m waiting for your email!
Warmest regards

M:
Hello,I got the invoice but I noticed that my address is misspelled. The street is Pennsylvania, not Pennsylvani. Please correct it and resend the invoice. I don't want this transaction to fail because of a silly typographical error.

Thanks

S:
That's what you gave me. It's not my fault. I will do that today.
Warmest regards

S:
Hi,
Have you made the payment?
Warmest regards

M:
I haven't received the new invoice

Sent from my iPhone 6

S:
Check your junk folder. It might be there.
Warmest regards

S:
The instructions are the same, only the street was modified so you can make the payment.
Warmest regards

M:
the whole Ebay/western Union thing is complicated and confusing me. I would just rather send cash.. USD, Pesos or Deustche Marks. Please give me an address that I can send the money to. I will send it out Monday morning.

S:
Just go to a Western Union location in your area and send the payment to me Thelma Rhodes, Italy. Western Union is expensive so just deduct the Western Union taxes from the total amount.
Warmest regards

M:
I don't understand. When I log into eBay I don't see the transaction??Sorry I am not familiar with Western Union. I much prefer to pay cash or Paypal. If you give me an address or a paypal account I can pay you today. I will even pay you the asking price of $500 as I am very eager to receive the CD player.

S:
The invoice was sent to your email address. Sorry i don't use PayPal. You already received instruction and i am not going to change anything. Let me know if you want the player or not.
Warmest regards

M:
I don't know why you are getting upset. I am trying to give you money for a CD player that I don't even know works. It may be broken for all I know. I am offering a lot of money, you should be grateful. Do you want my money or not??

S:
I am not upset i just don't want to waste time. You already have an invoice with clear and easy instruction. What's so hard to go to a Western Union location and make the payment? The cd player is as new and i will be paid only after you will receive it and test it. You can't get better than that so please let's be clear about this.
Warmest regards

M:
I already told you that I am not familiar with Western Union. I don't even know where the store is. Is it a store??

S:
Here are the Western Union locations in your area :
http://locations.westernunion.<wbr>com/search/dc/washington?q=<wbr>20006&t=
All you need is to go to any location and tell them that you want to send money to somebody in Italy.
Warmest regards

M:
Is this some kind of joke? Why are you sending me liquor stores?

S:
They have Western Union there. Western Union is everywhere : drug store, liquor store, banks, postal office. Are you making fun of me or you never heard about Western Union?

M:
I did not know that. I've only seen Western Union in cowboy movies. The cowboy would walk into the Western Union shop to pick up his telegram, then shoot the telegram guy because the telegram was bad news... something like his wife has the clap. Anyway, OK I'll go to the liquor store and send the money today.

M:
I just got back and I'm not a happy camper. That's what we in america say when we're not happy. I'm not sure why. I tried to send you money but they need more than just a name! I thought you just pick it up from your side with ID. What the heck. They said I need to know your account number. It cost me $20 round trip by cab. You did not tell me about an account number. I expect this waste of time and money to be deducted from the total!

S:
I don't get it. The Western Union is half a mile from you on your street and you took a cab??? What account number? You will send cash using Western Union money in minutes. You don't need any account number. Deduct your spending from the total amount.

S:
Hi,
Have you made the payment?
Warmest regards

M:
Yes I went and paid. I deducted $20 as you agreed. They gave me an mtcn number. I don't know if you need that to collect your money. Let me know.

S:
Yes i would need that. Let me know it so i can verify the payment online.
Warmest regards

M:
I was instructed not to share this number with anyone by the agent. But I am trusting you
M.T.C.N.#7554323934

S:
OK. I verified on the Western Union website and there is no payment with that mtcn. So what's the catch?

S:
What is the matter? Busy?

M:
I don't know what you mean??It was sent as Quick Cash Western Union.
They said all you need is ID to collect.

S:
Send me a scanned copy of the Western Union receipt or a close photo with your mobile phone. In the photo i must see the mtcn, exact name of the sender and the amount sent.

M:
WTF? You don't need all that, just your ID. Please stop playing games.

S:
I am not playing games. I think you are playing. It's not that hard to send me a close photo with your mobile phone.

M:
I am offended. Fine i will scan or take a picture. I need to find one I can borrow. Give me a few minutes.

M:
I had to use my neighbor's scanner.
attachment.php

(I created a bogus receipt but by this point had forgotten the amount and accidentally put $230)

S:
What the hell is that? Where is the sender's name? Where is the mtcn? The amount is ?

M:
That was the receipt from the liquor store!!! The quick cash transfer was for $230 and the WU fee was $14.99.You are starting to worry me. If you don't claim it and send me the CD changer today I will make a stop payment.

S:
You sent me $230???? Was this our deal???

M:
Duh, exchange rate genius. Think about it. This is getting ridiculous. If you want to cancel you need to tell me NOW so I can rush to the store to stop payment.

Warmest Regards

S:
That is not our agreement. We agreed for $450 and you even said you would pay $500. Anyway thanks for playing. Do whatever you want.

M:
Thanks for wasting my time!

S:
I just talked to the phone with Western Union. There is no payment. Already sent the conversation to the police asshole. Good luck with that. It's obvious you tried to scam me.

M:
Let's consider the CD player transaction as null and voided.

However I am interested in your 2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro Medium Carbon Full Suspension Mountain Bike for $900.
Let me know how we should proceed
(I googled the scammer's email address and found the above item for sale)

S:
How about if your fucking ferrari will be burned sometimes ah? Fuck off!

M:
congratulations on discovering google

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:
I about fell out of my chair laughing. Good job on that. Snickers...$1.

Nice when these bastards try to scam over text (new thing I guess) I usually tell them that I will trace their location. After that they do not text again.:wink:

I use to do the same thing lead them on for weeks, good job bro. keep up the good work,

they are always out fo the country and need money fast, yeah right. I started to save the Barrister of Aouth africa one but they stopped sending them to me

Nick, remind me never to piss you off!

Thanks for the chuckles ;^D

Brian

If only we could send an electric charge through the Internet to cause the scammer's computer to totally crash and become junk.....

Are people still falling for these scams? I'm surprised these scammers are still pulling the same stories

Back