• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

Just a reminder that Waterford Hills is having another Race weekend in a couple of days, for those who might want to check out what we do when we're not running Open Track Days.

And speaking of OTD's, it's not too early to sign up for our last one of the season....before we shut down early to repave the track;
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...s-otd-8-468470

Brian

Wrap on 2002 IOP

Attachments

• 2018-8-14 3 2002 IOP auto before.JPG
    2018-8-14 3 2002 IOP auto before.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 2018-8-14 7 2002 IOP after L side view driveway.JPG
    2018-8-14 7 2002 IOP after L side view driveway.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 2018-8-14 9 2002 IOP after view of roof from RR.JPG
    2018-8-14 9 2002 IOP after view of roof from RR.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 251
it needs some yellow:tongue:

We're planning on hitting Baker's again today, around 3pm or so.

Our red car will be incognito though, sporting the original chrome phat-5's we drove it home with......so totally 90's retro!<edit><edit>

Bumped into fellow NSX owner Kris there today, which was a nice treat.....even though he brought a different car from his fleet ;^D

Here's a picture of our retro-mobile.
NSX at Baker's 1.jpg
</edit></edit>

Last edited:
Oh, phat Five? where's the Advan 5?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oh, phat Five? where's the Advan 5?

Very sadly, I discovered cracks on 2 of the rear wheel spokes on the red car during it's recent major service.....so they had to come off.

Which means that a pair of my absolute favorite NSX wheels of all time are parked until further notice :sulkiness:

The good news is, the matching Advan model 5's on the purple boostmonster show no such flaws!

IMG_3487.JPG

We had our last OTD of the season (and last EVER on the old track surface) at Waterford Hills yesterday, which was yet again sold out....and as always a blast.

Today, I addressed the 'tucked in' look that the original 'phat 5' wheels (with their stock offsets) imparted to our red car, buy adding 25mm spacers front and rear.

The rear hubs have a 64.1mm (which are what all 4 spacers were) bore diameter, but the front hubs have a 70mm bore diameter....so two needed to be machined to that larger spec.

A good friend & neighbor has a machine shop in his basement, so we opened the 2nd pair up to 70mm.

I'm really pleased with the results!

IMG_3900.JPG

Last edited:
Just for fun.... Eastern Market and a Nissan Figaro from this past weekend.
5e832befff33006d7bbf4ef48d58bebb.jpg
e01f34565027892b1db8f23383a60412.jpg

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

Empire Hill Climb weekend

Last weekend a certain NSXCA and local SCCA board member asked me to the Empire Hill Climb (Empire, MI, in Leelanau County). Who was I to say "no"? :rolleyes:

https://autoweek.com/article/empire...op&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Had super weather the entire three day weekend. Friday found enough time to tour the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - I've lived in Michigan for a couple decades and had still not visited this area. So I have to begin w/a scenic photo of the dunes, looking north from the Empire Bluff Trail at 400' above Lake Michigan. The village of Empire's Municipal Beach can be seen on the right, just in front of the small inland lake.

Friday evening saw the RealTime Racing crew arrive at the Lions Club staging field. PD Cunningham and his crew began TLX preparations, and the photo depicts a calibration engineer at work.

Early Saturday morning the certain NSXCA and local SCCA board member drafted me to work on course set-up. It was nice and cool. After some misc. set-up I ended up running a John Deere Gator up and down the 1/2 mile hill climb course setting out worked stations, etc. Here is a photo of the starting point.

Since I assisted, I was fortunate enough to get issued an SCCA worker wristband and got to stick around at the starting point for all four classes of entrants' morning runs up the hill. I took this image of PD approaching the starting point, and then an image of the entrants coming back down the hill to circle for another run.

Saturday evening at the Empire Town Hall was the awards ceremony. Officials/stewards from the SCCA, AutoWeek representatives, and drivers/crews attended. An image of PD Cunningham accepting his award for his new record-setting run up the hill.

It was announced that AutoWeek would again sponsor this event next year and the SCCA would sanction it. It is scheduled for Sept. 13-15th weekend, 2019. I will definitely go again! :biggrin:

Photos inserted in reverse order due to no fault of my own - sorry :redface:

Attachments

• 2018-9-15 10 Empire Bluff Trl lkg N at Slpg Bear Dunage.JPG
    2018-9-15 10 Empire Bluff Trl lkg N at Slpg Bear Dunage.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 105
  • 2018-9-15 14 Calib Engineer lkg best at TLX Friday nite.JPG
    2018-9-15 14 Calib Engineer lkg best at TLX Friday nite.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2018-9-15 16 Starting Point for Hill Climb distant.JPG
    2018-9-15 16 Starting Point for Hill Climb distant.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 2018-9-15 22 PD approaching start.JPG
    2018-9-15 22 PD approaching start.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 2018-9-15 24 PD coming back downhill AM session.JPG
    2018-9-15 24 PD coming back downhill AM session.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 2018-9-15 28 PDC accepting award Empire Town Hall Autoweek sponsor.JPG
    2018-9-15 28 PDC accepting award Empire Town Hall Autoweek sponsor.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 106
We were up there the weekend before with a couple a nsx's from chicago and an frs. On our way thru Honor MI one of the NSX's got pulled over, just so the local cops could check it out.

We were up there the weekend before with a couple a nsx's from chicago and an frs. On our way thru Honor MI one of the NSX's got pulled over, just so the local cops could check it out.

We stayed overnight two nights in Honor, MI. Not with NSX, though.....

Perhaps next September this Empire Hill Climb and the IL area NSXers could be same weekend?

at least the boss lets PD do hillclimbs:biggrin:

Last Bakers tomorrow

End of September already and we were just starting to have NSX fun.... :redface:

Although tomorrow's forecast is not encouraging the hourly precipitation guess possibly looks good 4-6 pm. My '02 IOP got rained on
last evening, so I plan on running it up there tomorrow.

Back