• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mosquito/Insect Repellent Perimeter Sys

Don't get it, while they work good they don't last. I have a set, they quit working after one season, they offered me a trade with an upgrade spent more money for the newer models and they also failed after one season. I finally threw them away. I know use Orkin and they spray my yard monthly and it has been great. I live on the intracoastal waterway and have lots of marsh around my home but no bugs all summer. We like to be in our backyard around the pool all the time and no bugs.

I tried one of these last year and was amazed at how good it works for small areas (up to 15' sq I think) and it's portable so if you're out working in the yard, you can just take it with you. It does consume little canisters of some kind of fuel so it might get expensive. I gather the hunters/fishermen really like them and I see it says it was tested by the US Army.
http://ca.wholesalesports.com/store...otection/thermacell-appliance/prod219745.html

ditto to what NSX2398 stated. i tried the mosquito magnet at a private school and after two weeks, 99% of the mosquitos and "noseeums" were eradicated. the basket was so full after the first 5 days, it couldn't hold any more bugs.
i began emptying it every 5-7 days afterward with the same results. it protected an area of about 1/3 of an acre. it does get kind of pricey, using the bait along with the propane.
the tank needs to be replaced about once every three weeks and the bait stick as well. the electricity that runs the vacuum to suck the insects in is minimal. small price to pay though, for not having to tolerate the bites.
bug bites on the kids dropped to almost zero. just stating my results. this was in florida.

Ritesh

I have this in my back yard and I love it.
http://www.themosquitocompany.com/

I'm sure there is a company similar to it up where you live.
It works really well. You know how we have tons of mosquitos down here. My brother used to have one of those mosquito magnets but made the switch to the mosquito company's system. The whole system is a lifetime warranty for parts. You just have to pay for the refills.

Mosquitomagnets work well... when they work. Good concept, but they're built like cheap toys - total junk. I've owned three of them, the Defender (corded), and two Liberty Pluses (cordless). The Liberty Pluses are very finicky, keeping one running is like having a second wife. The Defender is more reliable but plan on doing yearly maintenance (disassembly, cleaning) to keep it running. There is info on fixing these things on the net but it's so scattered, I started a forum at http://mosquitomagnet.freeforums.org/ to try to centralize things.

You can save $ by getting Octenol refill kits on eBay rather than spending $20 a box at Home Depot. Also plan on going through a 20 lb. tank of propane every three weeks. At one point I had two of these running and between the mosquitos and the Weber grill I was spending a fortune in propane.

I've had better than average success with MosquitoMagnets, but I no longer use them. The first reason was the hassle and cost of running them. The second, and perhaps more important reason, is that even if your Mosquito Magnet is one of the "good ones" and catches thousands of mosquitoes, it can't catch every single one. You still end up getting bit.

Our strategy now is to use several of the blue OFF Clip-on repellants whenever we are in the backyard. We leave a few on the patio furniture, maybe clip them on during yard work, and they really work well. In the evenings we'll light up 2 or 3 OFF power pad lanterns in addition to the clip-ons, and we literally have zero mosquitoes. I haven't compared the cost of the OFF system to the cost of running mosquitomagnets, but I'm pretty sure it's less, and even if not, it seems to be a better technology for dealing with mosquitoes.

Good luck my friend!!!!

Last edited:
Last fall I started using the ThermaCELL MR-9W Cordless Mosquito Repellent Patio Lantern for a few parties and it seems to work well in smaller places.

Thanks guys.

Hey Matt - is the mister safe for kids, plants etc etc. I worry about my kids exposure to chemicals/pesticides . They are already exposed to way to many chemicals in their child hood.

I was in Canada's upper NW territories on a fishing trip a few years ago. (skeeter heaven) We used thermacells on the boat and you didn't even seen one of those little buggers. It worked great, but I don't know how much of a range it has.

51-jjYWyLdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This stuff works for me. Spray it in the yard once a month.

I'm going to have to try some of the new things above.
All I know is the candles don't work at all.

Ritesh

I can't answer your question. The only thing I can tell you is that I set up my system to where it goes off 3 times a day (evenly spaced out) for 30 seconds at a time. If you're concerned about it, then you can just avoid being outside when it goes off. I would just call them and ask them directly. And the best part about the system is the remote control that comes with it. So, after a rain, I press the remote so it goes off an additional time. When it is winter time, I check my box and flip it to the off switch (the remote still works when needed).

I will say that before I had this, I would walk around my back yard with the Off clip when looking for my dog's stool to pick up. There is a huge difference in the number of mosquitoes that I would encounter. With the misting system, I would say I rarely encounter any mosquitoes.

Any updates on these products? Making an offer on a house tomorrow that's adjacent to 1600 acres of conservation land with some wetlands. The mosquitoes are going to be BRUTAL.

Any updates on these products? Making an offer on a house tomorrow that's adjacent to 1600 acres of conservation land with some wetlands. The mosquitoes are going to be BRUTAL.
Don't buy the house. Nothing makes a house more worthless than a bug problem. We rented a beautiful beachhouse last Aug in Prince Edward Island. Red sands, play structure for the kids, deck and BBQ all provided. Only thing they didnt mention to us was the friggen marsh on the other side of the house and the aggressive mosquitos. Worst vacation ever, and we left 2 days early to stay in a hotel because of the gauntlet of bugs we had to run through every day to escape the house.

Back