• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Must have options

I'm currently in the market for a new car and I'm strongly considering an NSX. I'd be curious of what you consider must have options or things to stay away from?

The main one is are the carbon ceramic brakes a must have. I don't intend to do more then a handful of track days or auto x events with the car.

I would vote for the Ceramic Brakes, they save about 50 lbs. of rotating mass. And they look great. You are not tracking the car a lot so they should last a long time. The upgraded stereo, as well as the upgraded seats (all leather no inserts). I find the seats extremely comfortable in all leather. From there it is personal preference. As far as I understand there is nothing to necessarily stay away from. Some on the forum suggest staying away from added CF items, however I believe they prefer not spending the money rather than associating anything in a negative way. My car was a 2017 that had everything added for a MSRP of $206. The only options I did not get were the battery backup and the CF NSX illuminated Nameplate on the door still. While some of these components can be had at some point in time as aftermarket some will not. You should personalize the car in a way that suits you. There are aftermarket components such as down pipes and cat back exhaust. Just make sure you keep your old stuff. I believe that many of the newer cars being sold are closer to base with respect to the CF options. This makes a car with CF stand out in my opinion. Good luck on your choice. Try and take a look at a loaded car versus a car with little to no CF. Decide which is better looking and go that route.

I would vote for the Ceramic Brakes, they save about 50 lbs. of rotating mass. And they look great. You are not tracking the car a lot so they should last a long time. The upgraded stereo, as well as the upgraded seats (all leather no inserts). I find the seats extremely comfortable in all leather. From there it is personal preference. As far as I understand there is nothing to necessarily stay away from. Some on the forum suggest staying away from added CF items, however I believe they prefer not spending the money rather than associating anything in a negative way. My car was a 2017 that had everything added for a MSRP of $206. The only options I did not get were the battery backup and the CF NSX illuminated Nameplate on the door still. While some of these components can be had at some point in time as aftermarket some will not. You should personalize the car in a way that suits you. There are aftermarket components such as down pipes and cat back exhaust. Just make sure you keep your old stuff. I believe that many of the newer cars being sold are closer to base with respect to the CF options. This makes a car with CF stand out in my opinion. Good luck on your choice. Try and take a look at a loaded car versus a car with little to no CF. Decide which is better looking and go that route.

Thanks for the insights. I do like the full leather seats over the alcantara inserts but they are hard to find. I've looked at a local car that was loaded and plan to hopefully go look at a more base model car this weekend (the only option it seems to have is ceramic brakes).

It's very interesting how prices are all over the map for these cars so I've yet to really come up with what is a good deal as far as price goes based on options, color, and miles.

As drmanny3 said, many of the items are personal preference. For example, I had planned on getting the full leather seats, but then after seeing and sitting in a car with the Alcantara inserts, I opted for the seats with the Alcantara inserts. I think it makes the interior more sporty looking, and the Alcantara helps you stick in the seat so that you don’t slide around during aggressive driving (or while on the track). The upgraded stereo is now standard (the technology package) with the only option available being the addition of the Sirius XM support.

The carbon ceramics aren’t necessary for everyday or aggressive driving, but if you’re going to track the car, they will make a difference in your stopping power, distance, and fade. I think the red brake calipers are a must...a supercar needs colored calipers!

When I ordered my car, the carbon ceramic brakes were, quite literally, a "must have" option: the base steel rotors weren't available at the time. So I had to order the CCBs. However, they are far from being truly must-haves. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. For the steel rotors, beware that the pads apparently have a high iron content, and there have been a few complaints of the pads sticking to the rotors after getting them wet. The downsides of the CCB are higher initial cost, higher replacement cost, and also more costly service. Rotor thickness is not a reliable way of determining if a ceramic rotor is worn. You have to weigh them, which means they first need to be clean and dry, and that adds time (and therefore cost) to the brake service. The CCBs will still wear out when used aggressively such as on a track. They may last a bit longer than the steel rotors, but the higher replacement cost will negate that advantage.

Really, there are no mandatory options for this car. However, the option that I highly recommend is the Andaro paint. Beyond that, if you are in a position to have one BTO, do it, and pick the options you like.

My 2017 had pretty much every option except SAT radio and illuminated side sills. I'd say most everything else is a waste of money, but there are a few things I do prefer. I do like the CCB mainly because there is zero brake dust, and the fact that Acura is trying to place the car in the supercar category, it should come standard with them. The car looks better with the rear spoiler, so that would be the only CF option for me. And lastly, SAT radio is a must for me, and I'm shocked that it still isn't standard.

The performance of the car is same if you get one for $140k or $206k.

DocL, I think not! My Carbon Fiber roof shaved an entire pound (US) from the weight versus standard Aluminum roof. The Sat antenna added 2 oz. back. That is a game changer. And the carbon fiber on the sides of the car give it increased stability on the straightaway in Category 4 and up hurricane winds. You don't want to be on the track without them. In the end how awesome and fast does the car look standing still? At this price point it has little to do with utility and is all about what you like.

Most of the 2017's were dealer ordered, and they loaded most of them up with lots of CF and the CCB's, thinking they would fly off the shelf at $200k. We now know that was a miscalculation. As I understand, the vast majority of the 17's came with the CCB's, and very few base iron brake cars. Once the $30K rebate hit, the low end base cars were all snapped up almost overnight. My car was a mid optioned car. CCB's and CF roof and engine cover. The roof was EXPENSIVE at $6K but once I got it I really felt it was worth it. It gives the car a very high end exotic look. The CF engine cover is nice, but not as cool as the roof. Not sure I'd have had the gumption to "order" the CF roof, but I am glad I have it now, so I think that is the only CF option that I think makes a real difference. I thought the exterior CF package, at $9k was a real rip off, and same for the interior CF package, no offense to anyone who has it! I toiled on the CCB's, but decided that a proper supercar that can do 191 MPH ought to have the best brakes money can buy. Time will tell........

Last edited:
Back