My window is broken!

My 2001 has a problem; the driver's side window mechanism went belly-up today. The window will go not go up or down. I decided to investigate, so I followed the shop manual, and with surgical precision
smile.gif
I removed the door panel and the plastic liner. In the bottom of the door cavity, I found, lying loose, the metal nub that was, at one time, fastened to the end of the cable that fastens to upper portion of the bracket that operates the window lift.

It looks to me like this is what happened: The nub came loose from the cable that feeds directly into the cable sheath which in turns goes into the regulator. With the nub gone, the regulator simply sucked the cable through the sheath until it dissapeared into the body of the regulator.

Here is the question: Do you think that this failure will require a new regulator/cable assembly, or can the cable be retreived and and repaired with a new nub?

I realize that this is a warranty repair, but I want to do my homework so that my car doesn't sit at the dealer for two weeks waiting for a part (probably a new window regulator) to arrive. I'd rather they order the part and let the car sit safely in my garage until it arrives. I wish they would simply supply the necessary part and let me fix it myself -- at least then I would know it was done right.

There are all kinds of reasons why Acura would not want to allow individual owners to do warranty repairs - among other reasons, they wouldn't want to fix anything that an owner makes worse, and they wouldn't want any of the associated liability. Just take it to your dealer and let them deal with it. You may already have jeopardized your warranty coverage if they decide something you have done has caused a problem with it.

Any competent dealer service department isn't going to order parts based on a customer's diagnosis. They're going to diagnose the problem themselves after they look at the car, and THEN order any parts that are needed.

Most NSX parts are stocked in the States and overnighted to dealers when needed. At worst, this usually means that the repair takes a couple of days. As long as they give you a loaner while they're repairing your car, this is no big deal.

One of the best dealers for the NSX is in Phoenix. I would suspect if you told them about the problem they'd schedule to have you in and out in the same day.

I'm amazed that the retainer end on the window cable would come out of the new style casing, but I guess $hip happens. Make sure to replace everything back on the door and take it into Acura. They'll probably put in a new window regulator assy.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

A dealer that sees a lot of NSXs may have window regulators in stock. If not, there is no need to leave the car at the dealer for a week. Schedule a visit and they can pull the door panel, see "yeah, it's broken," put the panel back and send you on your way while the part is ordered.

It is my experience that a competent service department may order non-warranty parts based on the diagnosis of a customer they know has good knowledge of the car and mechanics and with whom they have a good relationship. Of course "may" does not mean "will" or even "should" - it depends on the particular service shop and the people running it. I did this many times on back when I felt my local dealer was competent to service the NSX - in fact more often than not I would call in and describe exactly the work I wanted performed and which parts were needed. They would order the parts and call me to schedule an appointment when parts arrived.

I would be somewhat surprised if a dealer would do that on a warranty issue, however, since Acura is paying for the part and not the customer. I never asked.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 21 January 2002).]

Follow up --

I went to Scottsdale Acura, the dealer that helped me acquire the car. I explained the problem, and took the loose cable end to show the tech, who has had extensive NSX specific training since 1991. He immediately knew what it was, and ordered the replacement window regulator while I was there. (I did not have my NSX with me, so he was going by what I had explained to him). The part came in while I was on vacation, and then I took the car to the dealer. It took them an hour to fix it. Really easy, and the window works perfectly. Thanks a million to Scottsdale Acura for being so easy to deal with.

Back