• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NEED HELP ASAP ,BUYING A 1991 NSX

Hi Guys.I came today from a dealer ship,they are selling a 1991 nsx black with light tan interior.outside the car is pretty good condition maybe 8.5 out of 10.inside the seat are 6.5 out of 10 ,has 128k milles.it has about 3k worth of stereo system,it has exhaust system.header.air filter.they asking $26.800/ what do you guys think?need to know asap.I test drove the car and drives really nice.what should I pay for it.most probably i will pay cash.need to know before they sell the car.

Just need to check all the FAQ points first.
All maintenance records: timing belt, water pump, clutch replacement, etc.
Bring a mechanic if necessary to check the car out and do under-the-body inspection.
Points things that haven't been done. Negotiate for low 20s.

Originally posted by insx:
Just need to check all the FAQ points first.
All maintenance records: timing belt, water pump, clutch replacement, etc.
Bring a mechanic if necessary to check the car out and do under-the-body inspection.
Points things that haven't been done. Negotiate for low 20s.

WHAT WILL BE A GOOD PRICE TO PAY?WHAT WILL AN ACU
RA DEALER CHARGE ME FOR CHEKING THE WHOLE CAR?

Originally posted by NSX TT:
WHAT WILL AN ACURA DEALER CHARGE ME FOR CHEKING THE WHOLE CAR?

no more then $150. I would hold off on that one unless you know the full maintenance records especially for higher mileage cars. mine has 120K miles and runs impecable, since i have the records since new from previous owners.

Is that the one in Formula One Sportscar?
When I talked to them on the phone, they sounded as if they were flexible with the price.

Originally posted by khuezee:
no more then $150. I would hold off on that one unless you know the full maintenance records especially for higher mileage cars. mine has 120K miles and runs impecable, since i have the records since new from previous owners.

The dealer told me that they are highway miles,is so hard to see this car and not buy it.from outside look very nice.is lowered with some type of bbs wheels.17 f and 18 rear.dvd player,I dont really care about the dvd,seats are the only thing that are not in good shape,the car sounds awesome and drives pretty good.What should I do?

Originally posted by Tiger740:
Is that the one in Formula One Sportscar?
When I talked to them on the phone, they sounded as if they were flexible with the price.

yes, but thay said that the car belongs to somebody and there is not to muvh margin for lowering the price, and please let me buy it, lol, just kidding.

they want what for a 12 year old production car with 125,000 miles? how many 1991 nsx do you think there are for sale right now? there are gazillions. mods add virtually no money. but a car with mods for the same price as one without them might be a better deal. don't get suckered into paying up for the mods.

call a dealer and tell them what you got as if it's your car and ask what they will give you. that's what the car is worth. drop in on a carmax and see what they will give you.

at first i thought this car is a 20k car on its best day. so i looked at some "guides". here is what they said
kbb whlsl 14850 clean, 13700avg. private party clean 19955, 18555 avg. retail 24860. black book online(which is higher than the dealer's black book)whlsl clean 21695, 18395 avg. retail clean 25025, 21200 avg. retail clean is for a perfect car with all books and records and fully serviced. a turn key deal.

fwiw, i had a dealer friend check his black book and his trade value was 3-4k lower than the online black book. that is closer to kbb trade in.

there seems to be no car out there where the gulf between whlsl and retail is so wide.

19k is good money for this car. the supply is too great, the miles too high. particularly if there's 2500 of deferred maintenance waiting like there is on so many of these cars. i've yet talk to a seller with a 93 or 94 who has done the tb, h20 pump and 60k/90k due to lapse of time.

if you take your time, you'll find the right car at the right price. nobody is beating down this dealer's door for a 125000 mile, overpriced car.

flame away.

and it's on consignment? the seller has a lot to learn. maybe the dealer will work on him. just remember, whatever the dealer tells you is bs. make an offer. let them counter. don't be ashamed if you offer 19. the dealer knows the true value. he knows what it'll bring if he had to take it to auction.

btw, the wheels are fikse's with brabus center caps(if it is car at formula one).

[This message has been edited by akydakyx (edited 23 September 2002).]

Ive seen and driven that car, I also bought the 1992 White NSX I have from them, I have nothing but good things to say about that dealership. If you are dealing with Juan let me know and I will talk to him.

Originally posted by akydakyx:
they want what for a 12 year old production car with 125,000 miles? how many 1991 nsx do you think there are for sale right now? there are gazillions. mods add virtually no money. but a car with mods for the same price as one without them might be a better deal. don't get suckered into paying up for the mods.

call a dealer and tell them what you got as if it's your car and ask what they will give you. that's what the car is worth. drop in on a carmax and see what they will give you.

at first i thought this car is a 20k car on its best day. so i looked at some "guides". here is what they said
kbb whlsl 14850 clean, 13700avg. private party clean 19955, 18555 avg. retail 24860. black book online(which is higher than the dealer's black book)whlsl clean 21695, 18395 avg. retail clean 25025, 21200 avg. retail clean is for a perfect car with all books and records and fully serviced. a turn key deal.

fwiw, i had a dealer friend check his black book and his trade value was 3-4k lower than the online black book. that is closer to kbb trade in.

there seems to be no car out there where the gulf between whlsl and retail is so wide.

19k is good money for this car. the supply is too great, the miles too high. particularly if there's 2500 of deferred maintenance waiting like there is on so many of these cars. i've yet talk to a seller with a 93 or 94 who has done the tb, h20 pump and 60k/90k due to lapse of time.

if you take your time, you'll find the right car at the right price. nobody is beating down this dealer's door for a 125000 mile, overpriced car.

flame away.

and it's on consignment? the seller has a lot to learn. maybe the dealer will work on him. just remember, whatever the dealer tells you is bs. make an offer. let them counter. don't be ashamed if you offer 19. the dealer know the true value. he knows what it's bring if he had to take it to auction.

btw, the wheels ad fikse's with brabus center caps(if it is car at formula one).

YEAH THAT'S THE CAR ALLRIGHT.ON FORMULA ONE

Originally posted by MiamieNeSeX:
Ive seen and driven that car, I also bought the 1992 White NSX I have from them, I have nothing but good things to say about that dealership. If you are dealing with Juan let me know and I will talk to him.

YEAH I'M DEALING WITH JUAN.I KNOW IS A GREAT DEALER SHIP.PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I am in the same market as you. Let me tell you things I am looking for buying. Snap Ring range of course and finding out if it has been done. GOOD MAINT. records. AC working properly (big money fix). How new the tires are (tire life isnt super long on nsx's) Also how many miles are on the current clutch. (thats a no-brainer with nsx's). What is formula one? Where you guys have seen the car. If you are not going to buy it I might be interested in it. Please let me know.

Originally posted by DamonBoost:
I am in the same market as you. Let me tell you things I am looking for buying. Snap Ring range of course and finding out if it has been done. GOOD MAINT. records. AC working properly (big money fix). How new the tires are (tire life isnt super long on nsx's) Also how many miles are on the current clutch. (thats a no-brainer with nsx's). What is formula one? Where you guys have seen the car. If you are not going to buy it I might be interested in it. Please let me know.

FORMULA ONE IS A DELAEER SHIP.I WILL LET YOU KNOW FOR SURE TOMORROW IF I DECIDE NOT TO BUY IT,BUT THIS CAR HAS AFTERMARKET WHEELS,RECORD ALSO,I DON'T THINK IS AVAILABLE.

Originally posted by MiamieNeSeX:

You said,you drove the car, what do you think?what is your honest impression?

I will be back later on line to check this forum.

regards,AC

NSX TT,

That price seems high to me. I cannot say exactly what the car is worth, but it is not worth 26k. I think low twenties is a better price. Perhaps 22k.

There are many cars on autotrader for high twenties that have half the miles.

Do not believe ANYTHING the dealer says. Do a trade-in value check on www.kbb.com to see what the dealer payed. That may give you a rough estimate on what its worth.

If the car had every record since it was new and the car was in absalutely new condition the car may be worth 26k. However, if you say the interior is a 6 out of ten...

I know it is hard, but try not to let your emotions take over when looking at this car. NSXs are beautiful cars and when looking at them, one may look past the flaws because you want to own it so bad. Try not to do that.

Good luck!

At the auction that car would not go for more than 18-20k if it is perfect.

there are really nice ones out there for 25k with 70-80k miles retail. I would hold off on that one. I have ben in the NSX market for a long time. I have bought two 1991's from individuals for 25-26k both had less than 80k miles and were very clean

good luck

Originally posted by Edwardo:
NSX TT,

That price seems high to me. I cannot say exactly what the car is worth, but it is not worth 26k. I think low twenties is a better price. Perhaps 22k.

There are many cars on autotrader for high twenties that have half the miles.

Do not believe ANYTHING the dealer says. Do a trade-in value check on www.kbb.com to see what the dealer payed. That may give you a rough estimate on what its worth.

If the car had every record since it was new and the car was in absalutely new condition the car may be worth 26k. However, if you say the interior is a 6 out of ten...

I know it is hard, but try not to let your emotions take over when looking at this car. NSXs are beautiful cars and when looking at them, one may look past the flaws because you want to own it so bad. Try not to do that.

Good luck!

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP.I'II SEE TOMORROW WHAT HAPPEN.IN THE OTHER HAND.I HOPE I CAN FIND ANOTHER ONE IF ANYTHING SOON.

Originally posted by YSRman:
At the auction that car would not go for more than 18-20k if it is perfect.

there are really nice ones out there for 25k with 70-80k miles retail. I would hold off on that one. I have ben in the NSX market for a long time. I have bought two 1991's from individuals for 25-26k both had less than 80k miles and were very clean

good luck

DO YOU KNOW OF ANY NOW?

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this, but I am fairly certain that tan interior was not available on 91's. Perhaps there is a little history with this car that has not been disclosed. You may want to check in on that.

More often than not, when you hear someone mention a tan interior on a '91-93, it turns out to be an ivory interior.

Back