• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help narrowing suspects of high pitched drivetrain whine.

Trying to trace the source of some audible symptoms. I have a feeling of what it is based on my readings on here, but was hoping some of the more knowledgeable could give me their 2 cents.

1992 NSX
120000KM

Symptoms
1. When pulling away from a stop, very gently, there's usually (not always) an audible squeal almost identical to chirping the tires as the clutch is engaged. It is not me chirping the tires heh.

2. During acceleration, at about 5000rpm and upwards, there's a very audible whine like a supercharger (car is not supercharged hah). This sound can be replicated with car in gear accelerating, out of gear revving, and parked revving - all with clutch in or out. It is loudest when car is in gear and accelerating.

For now I'll leave my suspicions aside to see what the more knowledgeable think... Thoughts?

Any help appreciated many thanks!

Last edited:
record it post on youtube then post link to this thread if we hear we can tell you right off what it is.

was your A/c on or off, could be a/c compressor, A/c pulley, crankshaft pulley, alternator, throwout bearing, I mean it could be anything

does it do this while at idle with clutch pressed, or not pressed, how about does it do it while the clutch is pressed while the car is in a gear, lets hear the noise and we can help

record while sitting in the driverseat, leave recording device in the same spot during the whole recording don't move around to get a better sound clip etc.

My exhaust is way too loud for a recording to pick up the whine really - I tried but the low freq exhaust overpowered the high freq whine in the recording, wouldn't work.

A/C is off, although I have noticed when the A/C is on, there is a bit of compressor whine, but it's done that forever and only when A/C is turned on.

Already answered your other question I think:
This sound can be replicated with car in gear accelerating, out of gear revving, and parked revving - all with clutch in or out. It is loudest when car is in gear and accelerating.

Loosen the Alt belt pulley and slide the belt to the side. Then crank it and rev it. If it's gone, replace the adjustment pulley.

Loosen the Alt belt pulley and slide the belt to the side. Then crank it and rev it. If it's gone, replace the adjustment pulley.

I don't think there is an alternator adjustment pulley, only the adjustable alternator itself.
Do you mean the A/C adjustment pulley?

Back