• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Asphalt at Hallett having some problems

The worst part of Hallett's track problems were corrected before this summer. The replacement of "turtles" with FIA curbing and quite a few patching, paving, and smoothing areas definitely helped the track - especially at "The Bitch" where I went from tiptoeing to drift braking.

The problem area is evidently around the turn 4-5-6 complex where there is a different type of asphalt with high polymer content that could not be done until the weather became hot. Now that this has been completed, I had planned on putting my '94 NSX on the track, but a friend told me there have been some problems with the surface breaking loose and tires picking up and slinging the kind of stuff that peppers paint and glass mercilessly. The racers can tolerate this a lot better than street cars, so I think I'm just gonna play spectator until the surface is better stabilized / cured - whatever.

My car is white; and I can assure you that cleaning it after a day of driving through clouds of moletn microscopic rubber shavings is about as difficult as I can handle.

To Mozzam, Eric, and Vaughn: Alright, I spun twice in the last Sunday session and got my wrist lapped by the steward, "We generally make you sit out the rest of the session if you go off twice, but I'll make an exception; just stay on the track."

Well - I decided to redline 2nd before I braked for "Everybody's Fvorite Turn". I made it half way around before I had to drive off into the grass. Needless to say I putted straight into the wrist slapping box where the steward gave me a terse gesture reminiscent of a NYC taxi driver after he gets cut off and stuck on the wrong side of a traffic island. My 6'5 frame felt small enough to stand up in my trunk with the lid closed.

The good news is that my alignment isn't that screwed up; the bad news is that I'm still finding grit and grass in my hair, behind my ears, and even a pinch between my gum and cheek.

You all TX boys with your high falutin' technical equipment, bottomless coolers, foreign cigarettes, and gas grill are always welcome here. Maybe next time I'll bring a cheap air conditioner, some foam pads, and a couple of wash buckets so y'all can just stay at the paddock instead of Sand Springs. Maybe we can find some local masseus ladies (I use that term loosely - ha ha get it?)to eliminate the need some of us have for small appliances (SHITSUE?).

I sort of got the idea y'all thought I was out of place at a road racing circuit. I mean - I was wearing a Sprint car wing and spent a lot of time sliding in the dirt. Maybe I ought to see if any of the local dirt ovals will do a D. E. event. Mozzam and I might do pretty good.

See y'all in mid September. I'll do my best to encourage Norm, Dave, Robert, Shawn, Don, and a few other OKNSXers will be there too.

An OK friend,

Sheldon P.

P.S. Who was the Dumbass who bought Dill relish?

Back