• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Corvette hurt NC sales?

I just watched the new C8 Corvette debut and I have got to believe this is going to make new NSX sales even more difficult.

Base price under 60K, 0-60 under 3 seconds, removable targa top, and a 495hp in a mid engine package.

Anyone disagree?

Maybe Chevy built what a lot of NSX fans wished Honda would have.

C8 Corvette

I watched it as well .. but not in the market. The usual GM over-the-top marketing hype. Had to laugh at some of the 'cab forward/fighter pilot' comments like they were discovering the benefits of mid-engine for the first time.
Some thoughts to get the discussion started:
1. I think the first thing is that you need is to put all discussion about styling aside for a moment. Nearly all the main surfaces are very busy and the rear end is hideous .. but that's a personal opinion.
2. If they stick to that price, it's an amazing performance bargain .. less than half of an NSX
3. If they meet fall prod'n/delivery, then props to them since it's such a major design/build change for them .. and we know Acura had lots of production/delivery issues that killed some of the demand
4. I don't know that you can directly compare it against the NSX .. sure the perf is similar .. but the NSX hybrid drive system is way more complex and expensive. Although the Corvette is all new from a layout perspective, it's still the same old 6.2 L pushrod they've been making for a long time .. not 'all new' like the NSX was. I think this is more like an R8 or a high end Porsche Cayman
5. The thing is projected to weigh in at about 3600 lbs which I think is pretty heavy given no hybrid parts .. is this in R8 range?
6. I'm pretty sure that it's not awd although they highlighted that one of the prior CERV research vehicles was. Maybe this is one of those things they can add in the future if they up the HP.
7. Very little functional carbon fibre being used (rear bumper beam and bottom of center tunnel) presumably to keep costs down.
8. The center tunnel seems to be a good structural design element as it allows them to keep door sills small and easy in/out compared to the CF tub design on a McLaren for example.

sales will be crushed.. the NSX is a "get your feet wet supercar" like the R8.. this car costs less than HALF... front lift removable roof, NA V8, HUD etc etc.. you have to really love acura to want one now.. Ferrari and Lambo will be fine though..

MC

Not sure where you got 3600lbs. But the weight was listed at 3366 in the press release. Pretty much right where the last car left off.

BTW: The configurator is live. The design language is clearly an evolution of the C7 vette IMHO.

Attachments

• Corvette Stingray 2020(2).jpg
    Corvette Stingray 2020(2).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 978
  • Corvette Stingray 2020(1).jpg
    Corvette Stingray 2020(1).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 854
I never bought a previous Corvette because I didn’t like the long front end. Now with this new C8 I gotta say I’m very impressed.

Game over NC1. They may as well convert the factory into making “special” TLX’s with Andaro paint.

What happened to the amazing thread contrasting the nose height of nc1 vs the world.....this looks lower hence morrrr exotic.....:eek:

The Vette will have an optional lift that memorize and automatically raises and lowers the vette based on the GPS.

Now why didn't the NSX 2.0 (which had longer than 3 years of thinking and developing) think of this?

What do NSX 2.0 and Vettes have in common? both are made in the USA.

Not sure where you got 3600lbs. But the weight was listed at 3366 in the press release. Pretty much right where the last car left off.
I think it was an early compare chart against competitors that Car and Driver or one of the other mags did who said the 3366 was without fluids so the 3600 was their projection of what a real life weight would be.

One thing I do like is that the C8 release has awaken this forum, albeit only slightly, and for a negative reason.

Coming to this forum every day while shopping for a new NSX, and finding very little chatter, has actually been a little, uh, dismaying. (is that a word?) Makes me think there really is very little demand for the car.

Last edited:
On thing I do like is that the C8 release has awaken this forum, albeit only slightly, and for a negative reason.

Coming to this forum every day while shopping for a new NSX, and finding very little chatter, has actually been a little, uh, dismaying. (is that a word?) Makes me think there really is very little demand for the car.
Most of the owners are on the owners group on FB, and don't post here. Too much drama in the past.

Was there any info about when the non pushrod motors will be available?

Points to GM for seemingly listening to the beefs about the NSX and acting on them (ex. metal covers for the speakers. There was bitching about the plastic ones on the NSX). Not that this will improve sound, but it points to GM really paying attention on a range of things (color choices in and out, seat options, even seat belt options, Michelin shoes).

I did find the linear panel of switches kind of strange.

unless the Ohio performance center starts building a Nc1 type R the future grand sport version of this C8 will be very tempting...

indeed......rice rice baby....baby got wing....

Cool. Hope you enjoy it doc. It'll make you feel like a young one again. I had a lot of fun with the RS doing stupid shit like I did when I was teenager. For $40k you can't go wrong. And for $60k to $70k the new C8 may have a spot in my garage next year.

Was there any info about when the non pushrod motors will be available?

I did find the linear panel of switches kind of strange.

No, but I think the rumor is still that Corvettes will have pushrods (boosted later), whereas a Cadillac variant will have the boosted OHC.

Yes, the linear switch panel is a bit strange, but I'll have to reserve final judgement until I drive it.

Back