• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Corvette hurt NC sales?

As someone who has seen it and sat in it..... I got to disagree with all of that.

It's a fantastic looking car...a whole new MR layout and still kept some of that Corvette lineage.

It has actual grills, no fake ones and it's lines are purposeful.... there is nothing "kit car" about this car.

It's a wake up call to every car company making expensive sports cars.....kinda like the original NSX was 30 years ago

OK, good! Then I can't wait to see it in person, and git my grubby paws on it :cool:

That's why I will daily it even in the winter and beat the piss out of it. Might as well enjoy it instead of worrying about a depreciating asset sitting in the garage. All of mine sitting in the garage are appreciating :smile:

Exactly my thinking. Depreciation is going to be the same as every other Corvette.

Until they are 45-50 years old and then they start appreciating. Have you seen what early 70s Corvettes go for these days - I never thought that would happen in a million years.

I am #1 at my dealer right now.

It seems like very few dealers are charging a markup, other than in southern california of course.

Even small dealers are getting a few cars in the first batch.

Can't wait. Going to be a long five, six, seven months....

I’ve had my deposit down for a while. Can’t wait. This car is going to be a game changer. The NSX made exotics step up quality game 30 years ago. Now we are going to be getting a mid engined NA V8 with nearly 500 Hp for under 100k. And the best part ... it’s a Chevy. You can DD it and not worry about miles or parking it near other cars... if you knock a mirror go to your Chevy dealer and get another...

MC

I'm a Honda guy for many many years and will newer sell my 93 NSX , but a think that C8 will hurt sales of many companies and used car market. My son works for GM and first time he drove C8 about two years ago. He never tells me anything what would be considered secret. He loves his job and I don't blame him. Only think he said that time " Dad save money it will be awesome ". Now his message is R.I.P. NSX . First I was upset, but C8 is up to something what NSX was 30 years ago. Best performance car for the money. He also said to get Z51 with eLSD and magnetic shocks. Hmmmm

Until they are 45-50 years old and then they start appreciating. Have you seen what early 70s Corvettes go for these days - I never thought that would happen in a million years.

I'm not sure that affects me. In 45-50 years I'll 95-100 years old.

Have you seen what early 70s Corvettes go for these days - I never thought that would happen in a million years.

It shouldn't be happening now!!! They were pieces o' crap then! ... and they still are!! Just because something is old doesn't mean it should be valuable! Sign, oh well, I guess the masses have spoken. A fool and his moolah ...

And this means the 1976 black/gold Trans Am I had in 1986 would be worth a friggin mint now ... if I hadn't driven it into the ground :frown: And BTW it was a POS too.

I always said if Honda built an NC, non-hybrid, 500hp TT V6 RWD that sold for $80k-$90k, they would have killed the car game.

Now GM is building it and will put the nail in the coffin on the NC.

It shouldn't be happening now!!! They were pieces o' crap then! ... and they still are!! Just because something is old doesn't mean it should be valuable! Sign, oh well, I guess the masses have spoken. A fool and his moolah ...

And this means the 1976 black/gold Trans Am I had in 1986 would be worth a friggin mint now ... if I hadn't driven it into the ground :frown: And BTW it was a POS too.

Ha. I'll be in the same age range.

You also forget that every car in that age was a pile of crap. Except for the high end European cars.

I always said if Honda built an NC, non-hybrid, 500hp TT V6 RWD that sold for $80k-$90k, they would have killed the car game.

Be careful, a lot of NC1 buyers will be upset. However I predicted that when over night Acura discounted the car $30k. Right then and there, the resale values started to sink and they only sold 170 cars in 2018.

The fat lady has started to sing unfortunately for the NSX.

Exactly my thinking. Depreciation is going to be the same as every other Corvette.

Have you seen what the used NC1's are going for? A 4 year old 911 ??? Those take much bigger hits than any Vettes.....and it's about to get worse for those cars with the C8's arrival

Have you seen what the used NC1's are going for? A 4 year old 911 ??? Those take much bigger hits than any Vettes.....and it's about to get worse for those cars with the C8's arrival

We all know every car depreciates the minute you buy it. However the NC1 takes a $30k hit overnight no matter what anyone says. A Corvette won’t take a $30k hit like that for at least three years. In my book, $30k is a lot of money to lose in a few hours.

If you take the MSPR of my NSX at $206.5k and take into account it has 9400miles, it’s worth at most $125k. That’s a $81.5k loss in less than two years. That’s pretty bad. And some people paid up to $50k over sticker which even more ridiculous.

If someone wants a smoking deal on a used NSX, when mine comes back on the market it’ll be worth $80k at most with the branded title. But it probably won’t have a warranty.

Ha. I'll be in the same age range.

You also forget that every car in that age was a pile of crap. Except for the high end European cars.

Yeah, well without a miracle of science I'll be dead. I went from a 73 Corvette that I hated almost immediately to a series of Porsche 911s and they were piles of crap as well only in a different more heartbreaking way. They drove beautifully but were always broken and then one day 20 years ago I looked over at my Acura Legend that never broke and thought those guys make a sports car maybe I should try one.

Last edited:

Unfortunately that is the case - The Screaming Chicken hood car is now a collector car.

When I buy a car, the last thing I consider is what it will be worth when I get tired of it.

If I got enjoyment from ownership, the depreciation (I have never had one worth more then what I bought it for!) is easier to take.

The NSX and C8 are "whim" cars.

god bless you if you can afford your whims, and don't bitch if it wasn't worth it.

Last edited:
When I buy a car, the last thing I consider is what it will be worth when I get tired of it.

If I got enjoyment from ownership, the depreciation (I have never had one worth more then what I bought it for!) is easier to take.

The NSX and C8 are "whim" cars.

god bless you if you can afford your whims, and don't bitch if it wasn't worth it.

Yep. The NSX and C8 are definitely impulse purchases for me. I fortunately leased my NSX so was able to deduct 50% of the payment through my corporation. But I'll tell you, I'm done with $150k+ cars. I can the same enjoyment from a $60k Chevy.

The impulse for me was I wanted a super hybrid and the I8 just didn't do it for me.

I just could not do a 918.

I have been thinking of a C8 for a DD, but if I get one it will be in a few years and a used one if I do.

Last edited:
Based on everything I've read and seen, the new C8 Corvette is a better "driver's car" and you can buy it BRAND NEW with WARRANTY at less than $50,000. I also like the looks of the new C8 Corvette. It goes to show the asking prices even for old NSX's (1991-2005), as good cars as they are, are over inflated and not worth the used market asking prices...and I like the gen 1 Acura NSX cars.

To answer the OP's question, I think second generation Acura NSX asking price is what will hurt their sales. The C8 Corvette is superior value for money, looks great, and has more function (front and rear storage space) than the 2nd gen NSX.

Last edited:
Based on everything I've read and seen, the new C8 Corvette is a better "driver's car" and you can buy it BRAND NEW with WARRANTY at less than $50,000. I also like the looks of the new C8 Corvette. It goes to show the asking prices even for old NSX's (1991-2005), as good cars as they are, are over inflated and not worth the used market asking prices...and I like the gen 1 Acura NSX cars.

To answer the OP's question, I think second generation Acura NSX asking price is what will hurt their sales. The C8 Corvette is superior value for money, looks great, and has more function (front and rear storage space) than the 2nd gen NSX.

BTW: The MSRP for the base C8 is still closer to $60K than $50K. It might turn out that you won't be able to buy a brand new C8 for less than $50K for quite some time if not ever. GM could always raise the MSRP year over year and the MSRP for the base model might creep up to $65K. Even at the current launch price that is very close to $60K a 15% discount won't bring the car down to $50K.

Update: The first year of production for the C8 seems to be close to been sold out, that is close to 30K cars, most of them going for MSRP or more. So seriously doubt that you can get a brand new C8 for $50K.

Gen 1 NSX's NA1/NA2 are classic/collector cars for the most part, so comparing the prices on a car that is close to 30 years old to a modern car doesn't make sense IMHO. The NSX was hand built, all aluminum chassis, 3.0 engine with variable valve timing and engine control (VTEC) and many other goodies, it was a ground breaking car for it's time. The fact that it had great ergonomics, was reliable and easy to maintain just adds to the desirability of the car. The car had a lot of history during it's development https://global.honda/heritage/episodes/1990thensx.html

Prices of the 1st gen NSX might come down or might remain stable or might go up, who knows. Depends on what kind of buyer is interested in a NA1/NA2 NSX. Honda loyalists or car collectors, or folks who just want to have the experience of owning one.

Last edited:

If the car had arrived as a 2013 model year as it should have, then the performance would have been more impressive, the whole hybrid concept would have been more well-received, it would have sold far better for more years, and by now it would be winding down its lifespan, due for an update after a pretty solid run of cars.

By the time the car was actually being delivered, there was even more competition for better money. Plus the whole hybrid craze had worn off and the enthusiast market was no longer impressed by the e-torque gimmick. And then there's just the fact that when you stretch a launch over 5+ years, people are tired of the car before it even comes out.

Yeah, they absolutely asked too much money for the car, even at launch. Today, you're getting a hopped up, hunkered down MDX sport hybrid, but for 3x or 4x the price. It should be an $80,000 base MSRP car all day long, with or without the hybrid, and getting it painted blue shouldn't cost $6k.

BTW: The MSRP for the base C8 is still closer to $60K than $50K. It might turn out that you won't be able to buy a brand new C8 for less than $50K for quite some time if not ever. GM could always raise the MSRP year over year and the MSRP for the base model might creep up to $65K. Even at the current launch price that is very close to $60K a 15% discount won't bring the car down to $50K.

Update: The first year of production for the C8 seems to be close to been sold out, that is close to 30K cars, most of them going for MSRP or more. So seriously doubt that you can get a brand new C8 for $50K.

Gen 1 NSX's NA1/NA2 are classic/collector cars for the most part, so comparing the prices on a car that is close to 30 years old to a modern car doesn't make sense IMHO. The NSX was hand built, all aluminum chassis, 3.0 engine with variable valve timing and engine control (VTEC) and many other goodies, it was a ground breaking car for it's time. The fact that it had great ergonomics, was reliable and easy to maintain just adds to the desirability of the car. The car had a lot of history during it's development https://global.honda/heritage/episodes/1990thensx.html

Prices of the 1st gen NSX might come down or might remain stable or might go up, who knows. Depends on what kind of buyer is interested in a NA1/NA2 NSX. Honda loyalists or car collectors, or folks who just want to have the experience of owning one.

I think he made a typo there. But they are going to make a ton of cars, and there will be discounts, especially on the 2021 model year. Still, not $50k.

I don't believe the "almost sold out" claims. Perhaps first-batch allocations are mostly spoken for, but they are definitely nowhere near close to selling out the 2020 model year.

Yeah I don't think 1st gen prices are falling anytime soon. It's a collectible car now, even the ratty ones will retain value.

Yep. The NSX and C8 are definitely impulse purchases for me. I fortunately leased my NSX so was able to deduct 50% of the payment through my corporation. But I'll tell you, I'm done with $150k+ cars. I can the same enjoyment from a $60k Chevy.

Totally agree - anyone can make a great $200,000 car; making a great $60,000 car is a real achievement. The C7 punched way above its weight and the C8 will too.

Salesman for a new '19 NSX I was considering, when I told him there's new competition that has caused the NSX price to be much too high IMO, he replied "The NSX is a rare car for a rare buyer* but we have sold every one we could get our hands on over the past couple years. The sale price I quoted you is aggressively incentivized but if you are looking to spend $100k out the door, you will need to be looking at different vehicles or pre-owned NSX's." And that's what I'm doing, different vehicles.

* Rare buyer = sucker! :rolleyes::biggrin:

I don't actually expect the C8 will be "under $60K", unless it turns out to be junk. But can imagine the C8 you could for $100K?

I will say, at this point I think that even if he lowered the price to say $100K out the door, while that'd be a tough one to think on, I think I'd still pass. I'm just too concerned about the NSX's complexity, the likely need for an NSX expert which I'm not sure is near me, the lack of a suspension lift, the lack of storage, lack of a removable roof, its V6 sound, and it's 8/10 looks.

Hey how about you? Let's say you have a choice of a C8 and an NSX comparably equipped, both for the same out-the-door let's say $100K (but pick your own price). Which do you buy?! Do you go with the C8 that seems to have many advantages over the NSX, or do you go with the 'Honda quality' AWD, more rare NSX?

Last edited:
Back