• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Corvette hurt NC sales?

C8 for sure, due the statement you just made "I'm just too concerned about the NSX's complexity, the likely need for an NSX expert which I'm not sure is near me, the lack of storage, lack of a removable roof, its V6 sound, and it's 8/10 looks." and the bonus point for the C8 is.....its comes with the front lift. That is Huge for me.

Last edited:
I always said if Honda built an NC, non-hybrid, 500hp TT V6 RWD that sold for $80k-$90k, they would have killed the car game.

Now GM is building it and will put the nail in the coffin on the NC.

I suspect 80-90K NC1s are just right around the corner.

C8 for sure, due the statement you just made "I'm just too concerned about the NSX's complexity, the likely need for an NSX expert which I'm not sure is near me, the lack of storage, lack of a removable roof, its V6 sound, and it's 8/10 looks." and the bonus point for the C8 is.....its comes with the front lift. That is Huge for me.

I get calls from dealers all over the country whenever they get a used one in. The NSX was a great car but not 150k great. I get the complexity but it almost seems the car was complex just because... that stuff the Germans do.

The fact the C8 STARTS 90k less than the MSRP is mind boggling. The Acura may be theoretically screwed together better but not 100k Better. Plus you get a lot of cool stuff now like front lift , heads up display etc.

I may not hold popular opinion on this but I think NA1/2 prices may take a dip. I think the NSX was a gateway to more exotic layout without a large risk of high repair bills ala fed Ferrari. But I think it’s going to be hard to justify $100,000 for a pristine 2005 you don’t want to put miles on when you can get the 500 horse power mid engine car with a warranty you can daily Drive

MC

Due to the ancient technology of the NA1/2 versus the latest and greatest on the C8 I don't think too many people will cross-shop them so I don't see much effect on prices. The NA1/2 lives in collector car land now; you know, where parts are hard to find, the social media is all about how to keep them on road instead of the newest mods, and the buyer wants one because he or she had a picture of one on the wall when they were in grad school and now has a spare garage slot they want to fill with something nostalgic.

exactly ...it is pure folly to think anyone is cross shopping a C8 and a old nsx...

exactly ...it is pure folly to think anyone is cross shopping a C8 and a old nsx...

I was. I sold my 96 to free up cash for my house. Three years later prices creeped up to the point where I said screw it and got a new one. Now the C8 is a mid engine targa. Will ease the passing of my old NSX.

Maybe there won’t be a whole lot cross shopping but I think some used high end car shoppers are going to be siphoned off by the C8

MC

NC1 yes Na1-2 no...

I suspect 80-90K NC1s are just right around the corner.

...and when they appear, that will make it even more appealing than it already is to me, and I will be happy I waited.

...and when they appear, that will make it even more appealing than it already is to me, and I will be happy I waited.

90k... all day. Great car. But I think they will be over 100k for a while longer. When a HiPo Vette comes out then they will dip below 100k

MC

I was considering getting a 355 Spider or A 997TT recently. However the C8 quickly changed my mind. Why would I buy a 10 to 25 year old car which we all know are a money pit. I’d rather buy a new car with better performance and reliability. Yeah I’ve always wanted to own a Ferrari and I’ve already owned a 996TT, however I don’t have the time, or money to waste keeping it on the road. Who knows, maybe I’ll hold onto the C8 and give it to my son which was my intention with the NC1.

I was considering getting a 355 Spider or A 997TT recently. However the C8 quickly changed my mind. Why would I buy a 10 to 25 year old car which we all know are a money pit. I’d rather buy a new car with better performance and reliability...

... and a warranty.

Hey how about you? Let's say you have a choice of a C8 and an NSX comparably equipped, both for the same out-the-door let's say $100K (but pick your own price). Which do you buy?! Do you go with the C8 that seems to have many advantages over the NSX, or do you go with the 'Honda quality' AWD, more rare NSX?

Nobody answered my question above, but here's a variation: If the new base model C8 was in the $160K MSRP range like the NSX, which would you choose?

Nobody answered my question above, but here's a variation: If the new base model C8 was in the $160K MSRP range like the NSX, which would you choose?

With never having test driven either before purchasing, which is my scenario, and all things being equal; C8.

These are my reasons.

1) Removable top.
2) Folding power mirrors.
3) Ventilated Seats
4) Factory installed front lift (optional).
5) More service facilities if I travel.
6) Trunk space.
6) V8
7) Easy mod like intake and exhaust. I've never done anything more with success.
8) History of motor and future longevity.
9) Driver assistance such as rear warning and side warning. More so to be defensive where I live, and for when my wife drives the car.
10) Stunning and aggressive looks.

Last edited:
With never having test driven either before purchasing, which is my scenario, and all things being equal; C8.

These are my reasons.

1) Removable top.
2) Folding power mirrors.
3) Ventilated Seats
4) Factory installed front lift (optional).
5) More service facilities if I travel.
6) Trunk space.
6) V8
7) Easy mod like intake and exhaust. I've never done anything more with success.
8) History of motor and future longevity.
9) Driver assistance such as rear warning and side warning. More so to be defensive where I live, and for when my wife drives the car.
10) Stunning and aggressive looks.

11. Heads Up display don’t realize how much you miss it when you don’t have it.
12. Performance data recorder for us track junkies
13. 500 HP (almost)
14. 10/10 would daily

MC

lol gm has been making a sports cars (cookies) for ever without chocolate chips...they now added them and they sell out....they just grew market share with a great vertical strategy....priced right......kudos

NSX hands down...but mostly because I’m a Honda nerd. The lack of a front lift and HUD would chap my butt a little. Maybe a lot. I really wish Acura had iLift’s excellent NC1 package as a factory option. In fact, I’ve mentioned it at the last two NSXPOs to the Acura reps on site. Having had a HUD on my previous RLX Sport Hybrid, I know Acura knows how to do it.

Couldn't disagree more.

Ha!

The potential C8 negatives I can think of are:

- Will it be a piece o' junk
- If not ^ will it really be anywhere near the $60K stated price
- Will there be too many of them. I kinda doubt it, in my area anyway. Even with 2 trunks, it's still a pretty limited use vehicle, and will never be as comfy and useful as all these mid- and full-size SUVs on the roads today

If it's not a POS and it's under $100K, I don't know how the NSX could compete. I think the NSX was over-priced even before the C8 came out.

Last edited:

I'd take the NSX cuz it is an NSX, but I could get two nicely equipped C8's with z51 and have one for the track and one for the DD for the price of a base model NSX.....that's the problem

I'm taking the C8 with the almost $100k price difference every day and twice in Sunday's

This car isn’t even out yet and it has disrupted the natural order of the universe. Car forums (Fchat, Rennlist etc) are filled with similar threads. People that have turned their noses up at the Vette are starting to take notice. There are still lots who won’t even consider it because it’s a Chevy but it’s amazing how long those threads are starting to get...

MC

C8=event horizon.........................

The C8 isn't the only "sold out" car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/10/porsche-taycan-production-preorders-sold-out/

There are so many bitchin cars being made now.

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome time.

For the Taycan, that's an older article. Porsche now says they're expanding production. Perhaps over 20k vehicles the first year. Base ~350HP vehicle is low $90k, ~450HP is high $90k, and the "Turbo" model is ~$130k to challenge Tesla Model S's with the Ludicrous mode.

Back